skymama

Those stupid night jumps

I had been planning on doing my night jumps at The American Boogie in a few weeks because Deland never schedules them. Well, all the sudden they did last week, so I jumped on the load figuring that I'd be able to have a more relaxed time at the boogie if I got them over with. Plus, there was a small comfort factor there of doing them at my home dz.

I stressed over those babies all day long. Even with the other jumps that I did, they were still always present in the back of my mind. As the day went on, I found out that I was going to have some familiar faces on the load with me which made me happy that I could share the pain. Sunnydee was here with me and she did the jumps also, as did fozchek,TB99 and mixologist. We went for our briefing and that just made me more nervous with all the talk about people who flare to high or low or run from their shadows, the affects of lights on your night vision, and the importance of pulling at the altitude you're assigned. Then the fear of flying a shitty pattern and landing in the dark or the thought cutting away because of my pack jobs that I'm still new at and losing my canopy in the dark, or biffing in on my landing and ruining my upcoming vacations all had my stomach churning.

It took forever for our meeting time to come, but once we started taping on the glow sticks, it seemed like there wasn't enough time because I wanted to be lit up like a Christmas tree! We had our final gear check and went up for our solos. We were in a Porter, so it was nice being able to check out the skyline and see how the runway and landing area were marked from up high. The runway had strobes at the end, but we only had 2 trucks parked on the landing area with the headlights on. They told us we couldn't do any freeflying, so I went out on my belly and just hung there, looking at the moon and the lights in Daytona. It was quite pretty, but I was to stressed out to enjoy it. I didn't want to do anything wrong on these jumps, so I've never been so focused in all my skydives. Finally, I set up and landed on my feet right in front of the headlights! I was thrilled and relieved, got lots of hugs from people and then was reminded that I had to get packed up to do it all over again, and quickly.

I walked into the packing area and saw that there was only 1 guy packing and there were about 15 people jumping. I was going to have to pack my 30 minute pack job in 20 minutes, and all the while with my hands shaking from the adrenaline....shit, and I had to untape the glow lights off me so I could pee too! :S Fortunately, one friend cocooned it for me real quick before he went off on his load and another friend closed the bag for me, or else I would have never made the load. I quickly rehearsed a RW jump and went back up.

This time I was a little more relaxed, but it still wasn't like the feeling of a normal jump. I exited with my friend, Bob, and once we joined hands, I realized the tape that had my glow light on my altimeter was gone, and I couldn't read it! :o Thank goodness I had a dytter. Bob told me later that the tape ended up being stuck to his hand. Our jump went fine, and when my canopy opened with my quick pack job I let out an, "Oh, thank GOD!" It was the best pack job I've done so far. Once I checked my canopy, I figured out that if I turned towards the moon, I could read my altimeter, but it wasn't in the right direction for my pattern, so I was going to have to land visually. My heart was pounding, I'm in the habit of always looking at the altimeter. I set up and landed almost exactly where I did on the first jump, with a sweet surf and right in front of the headlights. I threw off my helmet, jumped up and down and screamed, "I'm done with those forever!" :ph34r: As I was walking up to the deck, one of my friends called out, "Hey Andrea, why don't you land like that in the daytime?" :P

So, I'm glad I did them, because now I feel like a real skydiver but I'm also very glad that they are over. Now I have to go buy some more "Goo gone" to get the duct tape stick off my jumpsuit (the gaffer's tape wasn't sticking well). I faced one of my biggest fears in skydiving, so I am pleased about that. Now I'm wondering if I can ever face my 2 other big fears; CRW and big ways. Time will tell, I guess.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Congrats Mama! I, on the other hand, did have a reserve ride on my first night jump, and still want do do more! To each their own, I guess.

I was going to have to pack my 30 minute pack job in 20 minutes,

Fortunately, one friend cocooned it for me real quick before he went off on his load and another friend closed the bag for me

"Oh, thank GOD!" It was the best pack job I've done so far.

Huh? >:(
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Huh?

Hey, I put it in the bag, that means I did the pack job, the rest is just fluff. :P
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Huh?

Hey, I put it in the bag, that means I did the pack job, the rest is just fluff. :P

Hmmmm....;)

From :http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=497186#497186

Besides, you closed the container for every jump, so technically I still haven't done it all on my own yet.

>:( :P
It's your life, live it!

LMAO, leave me alone! I'm a woman, so that means my ideas change to reflect how ever I'm feeling at the moment. :P Besides, on that other post, I was just trying to get out of buying beer.:ph34r:

I'm messin' with a greenie! I'm messin' with a greenie!

This is fun!

So, Mama, have you actually jump a complete, all done by you, packjob yet? :P
It's your life, live it!

Congratulations skymama!!!!! I'm not ready for night jumps yet, I’m scared:(!!!! That's one of the reasons I haven't gotten my C lic...:S (BTW: is it still a requirement? gotta check the new SIM's)
¡¡¡Felicidades!!!

MEN: you can't live with 'em, you can't shoot 'em, but you can act psychotic and keep 'em off balance.
HISPA #10

Congratulations skymama!!!!! I'm not ready for night jumps yet, I’m scared:(!!!! That's one of the reasons I haven't gotten my C lic...:S (BTW: is it still a requirement? gotta check the new SIM's)
¡¡¡Felicidades!!!

B Qualified to do night jumps, and you must do 1 solo and 1 RW night jump to qualify for your D, for your information.
It's your life, live it!

3 loads of night jumpers went up at hinckley last night. Lots of people doing their first BEER, many wound up doing their first and second BEEER. The last load landed at 1:30AM...

5 cars total. One anorexic bonfire rounded out the visible from 14000ft points of light to 6 ...fortunately there were some friendly light patterns between Hinckley and Waterman that gave a good reference.

No wind landings seem twice as fast when you can't see everything...several people landed out in the beans but none too far out...and the dirt is soft. Lotsa people came out to cheer and yelled at flare time for people landing off in the dirt.

I wound up taping a glowstick on the forehead of my helmet so it was just out of my line of sight. Used it to see my alti and to see the other jumpers on a three-way holding on for dear life =) Be careful if you do this that it doesn't cause glare with your goggles. Also I used pullup straps through the tiny little hoops to tie glowsticks to my legs and taped them down with clear postal tape...by the time I landed from my first jump the tape was long gone from my legs but the straps did just fine.

Being on the ground for load 1 was exciting too seeing the plane make a pass and listening to the canopies open but not being able to see them...

the view was fabulous...you could see all the way to the Chicago lakefront. On load 1 the jumperssaid they caught sight of the fireworks at Navy Pier.

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

So, I'm glad I did them, because now I feel like a real skydiver

I never thought that you were anything less than a totally awesome skydiving chick! B|

What a great story, Andrea! It's nice to know that you faced one of your fears...especially combined with the anxiety over the pack job! WOW! I do not have my B license, so I cannot do these, yet. However, I also have visions of screwing up my night landing patterns. It's quite a frightening concept, but I do want to try them someday. Even after I have my "B", I will definitely wait until I feel EXTREMELY confident about my landings before I do my night jumps.

By the way, paying a packer to pack for you is fine in my book because it's YOUR money to spend as you wish! ;) I pay packers now, but I MAY pack mine once I stop renting. Either way, I don't feel that I'm any less of a skydiver if I do not pack. It's like this...just because I don't make a meal doesn't mean that it can't go straight to my thighs! :D

So, Mama, have you actually jump a complete, all done by you, packjob yet?

Yes I did, 4 times yesterday, so there. :P

Andrea, I did my first night jump (beer) last night too. :o :S I have to admit that on the way up -- I was SCARED[:/], but once out the door, I just realxed. It was so pretty looking at all the lights around the countryside.:o Alas, I am sorry to say that at the last moment, I chickened out on a stand up landing and just slide in on my butt.....But I'm still in one piece this morning and ready to jump again. So hey, I'll try to do a "stand up" on the next night jump -- next month:S And like most, I'll be sure glad when that ones done:$[:/]:o[:/] Congrat's on you doing BOTH in one night. "Way ta go lady":)

Steve M
>^..^<
for me -- SkyDiving is a life sentence -- for it has saved my life.

Hey all.....I did a canopy class with Scott Miller during the day (which started at 8:30am) then jumped and "learned" all day then prepared for nights jumps and did both mine as well. Fozchek was a life safer with her bad ass glowstick necklace idea and then I had Skymama sitting right next to me for support on both loads. I have just over 100 jumps and was pretty "anxious" about it but everyone around Deland was so helpful and comforting and concerned about safety that by the time I reached the boarding area I was more excited than nervous. All the hype and all the anxiousness went away once I was under a nice clean canopy and unlike Skymama, once I knew where the landing area was, I took time to look around and enjoy where I was. Floating in the big beautiful night sky under the stars. HOLY SHIT - can you say INTENSE?! It was a gorgeous full moon! Granted I got a bit TOO caught up in the sights and started me approach a bit late so in sticking with the "flight plan" and not wanting to mess things up for anyone else I opted to land BEHIND the trucks in a nice brightly marked corner of the airport about 30 feet from everyone else. No biggy - someone followed me so we high fived and cheered it up that our first jumps were a success. Probably my best landing of the day (and no one could see it...darn it!). My second jump was a 2-way with TB99 and it was cool. First off this was my first (ok - now second) jump out of a Porter and it was small. Then I was jumping with someone I didn't really know AT NIGHT. IT WAS AWESOME and I consider our jump a success. Went out with high grips (him floating), then we released to wrist grips then after we hung out a bit (in the moonlight....;)) I forced him back to high grips so we could say we got 3 points. Think it was pretty darn close - protrack sounded at 5, we waved bye, I managed to land about 10 feet from him, in front of the truck lights this time but took a slight knee cause I flaired a bit high....oh well, I made it to the ground safe, with big smiles and happy memories of my first night jumps. It was a great weekend and thank everyone, especially Skymama for "showing me the love". Once again proving that skydivers everywhere are just cool ass people. I am one lucky sky chick......Hugs to everyone who gave me yet another memorable weekend!!!!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

COngrats on your nigh jumps!!!! It is absolutely freaky at first, but I really got to enjoying the peacefulness of it all. It's amazing just how much background noise there actually is during daytime that you don't notice... night jumps feel... different, more quiet I think

Marz

Hey hey! I had a REALLY great time that night! Most of the details were already covered, so I won't get into all that:) We both got another first in that jump, I'd say 5 docks (I would count the other 2 docks):)
I was feeling so good after those jumps that I refused to jump today so I could "sulk" and keep those jumps for another day, if that makes any sense to anyone:S
It was fun, Tuesday we're doing another nightjump (real early in the AM instead, before the sun rises) then we're doing a second jump while the sun is just rising. We're tracking, should be another load of fun! I can't wait ... hope to see ya again soon, Denise, maybe do some freeflying this timeB|

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!