Nutz

Quitting Smoking

Basically, I have been trying to quit for the last 20 years. I made it a year a couple of times, usually it is 6 monthes although last time I only made it 24 days. So now I have this cold and sore throat which is killing me and making it hard to breath so I am wanting to quit again. I have been to learn not to smoke class twice to no avail, I think it is something to do with brainwashing myself, I just can't do it. I have no problem brainwashing myself to keep on though. Any suggestions?

I quit 3 years ago! i used to smoke UPTO 3 packs a day.
usually 2 was my average.

when I quit I just "switched" something in my head i guess but it wasnt easy!

when Ihad cravings I would:
Drink water
do push up's,sit ups etc!
do anything to getyour mind off of that cigarette.

I also saw a really nice picture of a set of filthy lungs!
If I am meant to die It wont be from something as stupid as cancer! I needed to get my breath back. it worked I can breath now...except when we're at altitude too many poele fart up there!:o
My photos

My Videos

It also has something to do w/ not saying, "I'd like a pack/carton of Brand X," at the grocery store.;)

Ken

edit: wellbutrin/zyban (they are the same drug) can work. My doctor told me a story of a patient who was a chain smoker and was taking wellbutrin for depression. She asked him about taking zyban and he told her she was already on it.:$
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Fire Jolly Ranchers did the trick for me.
I was (long ago) a 3-pack a day smoker on Camel unfiltered. Most recently (earlier this year) I was smoking about a pack a day of Camel Wides and I finally started buying Fire Jolly Ranchers instead. I just pop one of them when the urge hits and find some other way to blow off the stress that made me want to smoke in the first place (usually take a quick walk around the workplace).

Yeah, it's fine, we'll walk down the line. Leave our rain, a cold trade for warm sunshine
You my friend, I will defend... and if we change, well, I love you anyway

NUTZ,
just understand that you are trying to kill a 20 year habit...it wont work...

try replacing it with a new habit!
everytime you want to smoke...
go running. or biking..somthing.
and when those cravings get hard...go drive over the pedestrians! that always worked for me!;)
My photos

My Videos

I smoked for about 20 years, quit numerous times (till I woke up), and went back. Finally stopped for good by using the "Patch". The hardest part of quitting is the first few weeks, after that it's just how much you want it. What kept me going was not wanting to waste the effort I'd already made.
Good luck!:)

I used about 10 patches during the six week period.

thing is, Im in the Military. they GIVE YOU THE PATCHES if you are trying to quit! they also give you a smoking cessation class. it helped..ME! i was the only one in a class of 20 that quit!

gotta be more stubborn then your addiction!
My photos

My Videos

[QUOTE]Welbutrin[/QUOTE]

Isn't wellbutrin a SSRI? I would definitely try some gum/patch/etc before going with something that will change the reuptake of serotoninnn...Just my opinion. Quitting sucks, but keeping smoking sucks even more in the long run.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

try replacing it with a new habit!
everytime you want to smoke...
go running. or biking..

It's more like you're trying to start a new habit of living healthy. I never smoked for more than a few years before I quit, but have a good friend who's finally quit after more than 30 years - on Camels, no less. The physical cravings will go away soon enough, it's all the emotional cues that can get you back.

Physical excercise is really good because it places a demand on your lungs for oxygen and you can appreciate the ability to start breathing again. Tasting your food again for the first time in years will also be nice, but there's that weight gain thing to watch out for.

Go and do some volunteer work in the cancer ward. We nursed my mother in law through her death from a smoking induced oral cancer. That can all be summed up in one word: horrifying.

When you finally must have that one cigarette, try to tell yourself "not today". Do like the folks at AA and stay clean one day at a time. (Oh and stay out of bars, alcohol and easy access to cigs will beat you every time.) Good luck !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

ok I forgot to mention this too!

I quit smoking a few months before I started jumping.
I did the math I totally never had to adjust my budget to pay for all of my jumps gear and boogies!
I was a 2-3 pack a day smoker.
when they were $3/pack at 14-21 pack/week
is between $2184 and $3276 per year!
THAT DOESNT INCLUDE THE INFLATION!

I put 200/month into retirement and skydive like I live there;)

smoking sucks!
My photos

My Videos

[QUOTE]Welbutrin[/QUOTE]

Isn't wellbutrin a SSRI? I would definitely try some gum/patch/etc before going with something that will change the reuptake of serotoninnn...Just my opinion. Quitting sucks, but keeping smoking sucks even more in the long run.

It's actually dopamine. Nicotine is also a false dopamine. Welbutrin relatively mild but is not minus it's side effects and it sure beats the hell out of smoking's side effects.
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

(Oh and stay out of bars, alcohol and easy access to cigs will beat you every time.) Good luck !

actually I separeted those habits the first weekend I tried quitting!
I went to a bar ( my friends 21st b-day) and we drank til we fell!
everyone was tryingt o get me to smoke( i told them to b/c I needed them to fuck with me about it in order to help me reject the offers!

it worked!
two weeks after a frined had come back form vacation. she didnt believe the I
quit. so she ,being a wise ass blew smoke in my face....I hurled over the balcony. LOL

she felt SOOO bad. but I knew at that very moment I would NEVER smoke again!;)
My photos

My Videos

[QUOTE]It's actually dopamine. Nicotine is also a false dopamine. Welbutrin relatively mild but is not minus it's side effects and it sure beats the hell out of smoking's side effects. [/QUOTE]

OK, I just seem to remember it blocking HT 1 or 2 as well as D1 or D2. I can't keep them straight :S. I know it has sexual side effects, and that sucks [:/]

let my inspiration flow,

Tried the Wellbutrin once, made it about a month without smoking. Course, everyone around me was hiding in the closets, I was such a bear. In the long run, I found the crutches (wellbutrin, patches) to be just another enabler. "LOOK, I can quit ANYTIME see? So I'll just have this one smoke now and tomorrow I'll go back on the pill"

Fromt what I remember of the mini class I had before trying it, there's basically 2 types of nicotine addiction. The physical kind where you'll get the shakes n stuff. The patch is suited for this type. The other is Pyschological (SP). That would be for the type of person who tends to look for something to do and just picks up a smoke, I'm bored, let's smoke, I'm driving to work, I can get 2 smokes in before I get there...

cold turkey 2 years now.

I set a date, woke up that morning and told myself, "I am now an ex smoker. I'm going to have urges, and I realize that" TOLD myself every time I had an urge.. Course, that and my kid's field trip to the exploratorium helped the first day ;)

Ya know tho, the Nicotime withdrawal buzz was kinda fun ;)

Good luck man, you can do it...
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Good Luck - Filthy habit. Enjoy your new found $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

My doctor gave me welbutrin once, supposed to be an anti depressant, had the opposite effect on me plus made me just, I don't know, not care about anything, no energy. Plus I kept right on smoking. I think it is mostly mental, you just have to decide to quit and then do it. Thank you all for the suggestions and - wish me luck!

I guess this question begs to be asked: How many jump tickets per month does the average skydiver piss away on beer?

let my inspiration flow,

My doctor told me in rehab 13 years ago that I had lost 10% off of both of my lungs and that I would have the beginning stages of emphysema by 25. I consulted my counselor at the time who recommended I maintain sobriety for a year, then tackle smoking. I quit cold turkey the Monday after my 1 year sobriety mark. Haven't had a single smoke since.

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when