nubain1

Is it common.....

To keep thinking about a cutaway?I keep replaying mine over and over in my head.Until yesterday I was scared about the possibility of having to do it and now that I have my first cutaway all I want to do is get another canopy and get back up in the air.Even with my ribs hurting as bad as they do.I want to freaking jump.I keep thinking about looking up and seeing the rips in my canopy and thinking "oh shit! I don't want to do this."And then thinking about what it was like to pull both handles and then seeing that pretty blue canopy over my head.
So,is it common to keep thinking about it or what?

yes it is very common.. and when i want to really relive my cutaway i just look over to the video vault here and watch "rippedmain.avi"... i can still hear myself say those clasic words..."mother f@cker, that f@cking hurt like a b!tch"... and then the nice sound of those 3 rings doing there job....... and a nice raven2 over myhead.....

yes it is very common.. and when i want to really relive my cutaway i just look over to the video vault here and watch "rippedmain.avi"... i can still hear myself say those clasic words..."mother f@cker, that f@cking hurt like a b!tch"... and then the nice sound of those 3 rings doing there job....... and a nice raven2 over myhead.....

that was you? you have no idea how many times i watched that dude! classic words...!! :P:D glad it all worked out though!

To keep thinking about a cutaway?

If you're going to keep thinking about it, think about the positive aspects of it! Think about the fact that you did exactly what you were trained to do!

You gotta love a sport that demands skillfull decision making under pressure!:D

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

I can still replay my first one over in my head and that happened in March of 1975 and that was opn my 5th jump.....Face it.. you faced something a lot of people dread, your first cutaway. You reacted as you were trained and are walking and talking. Looks like the intended outcome to me, you saved your life.

Smile to yourself, get another canopy in the rig and go jump again. I bet everything will work just fine. I doubt if there have been too many people with back to back cutaways;)

Amazon

I doubt if there have been too many people with back to back cutaways

I went to Safety Day at Chambersburg Skydiving Center (PA) this spring. They had a guy teaching the malfunction class that had 22 chops in 3000 jumps !!

The guy has an "A" license in cutaways:D

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

To keep thinking about a cutaway?I keep replaying mine over and over in my head.Until yesterday I was scared about the possibility of having to do it and now that I have my first cutaway all I want to do is get another canopy and get back up in the air.

Yes I think it is...and it's badge of honour... wear it like one. You did as you should Annnnd you have an experience that will REALLY scare the Whuffos B|B|B| ( if you want to) "...ya I blew up my main canopy once and ..."

I was suitably moved by my first (and as yet only) chop on jump #20 (student, just before my Solo CoP) that I mixed a 67 minute CD I entitled "Terminal Tunes - The Mal Mix". It's one long cut and has everything from Platinum Blonde's "It Doesn't Really Matter", House of Pain's "Jump a Round" ;);), Holst's "Mars" from the Planets suite ... etc. I think it was the fact that, it was only after the weekend was over that I truly grasped what I had accomplished and the music just happened. I still listen to it on the way to the dropzone, a drive that coincidentally takes about 67 minutes!!

By the way, I was back on the plane within an hour - just enough time to get out of the "1 parachute rig", get to the off sale and buy the case-o-beer, get back and into a complete gearset and make the sunset load. Best thing I ever did.

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Here's what I posted sunday night and why I need a new canopy.
"Had my 1st reserve ride today.ANd I hurt like hell.
Exited about 11.5k.Exit was nice and stable.Alt check then started my B lic maneuvers.Left fig 8,backloop,right fig 8 back loop.All was well.Nice flat and stable,no drifts in either direction.4.5k wave and pull.Then, WHAM!!!!!!!! hard opening, had the breath knocked out of me and was seeing stars.On top of tha there was line twists out the ass.KIcked out the twists and looked up.One entire cell on the bottom skin was gone.Oh shit.was still flying straight and smooth.Tried a control check to see if I could possibly land it.Nope,not happeing.everytime I pulled on the right toggle the rigth side would collapse.Alt says I'm at 2500,so oh shit here we go.peel,pull,peel,pull.Next ting I know,one of the sweetest openings I had ever had.Look up and see this beautiful blue canopy over my head.Look around and redo control check.Beautiful.No traffic around so I start looking for my canopy.Find it in a gentle spiral,and follow it for as long as I could.NIce beautiful standing landing.Look around and don't see my main.But everybody else did so by the time I walk back to the hanger my main and freebag are there waiting for me.Look at my main and the rip is along the stitching from nose to tail.Have a riger look at it and he says it a manufacture defect.The canopy only has 22 jumps on it and I bought it new.The lines are still a bright white.So anyway bag it up to be sent to PD and see what they say about it.
So the wait begins.Now I'm at home with bruises on my ribs and what looks like a huge hickey in my neck from the risers.
Don't ever let anybody say that a Spectre won't spank you cause it can.It's a 230sf loaded @ 0.8:1
and my reserve is a PD 218 loaded @ 0.9:1.
I owe Hooknswoop whatever he wants.He packed my reserve in the last repack.SO, I bow humbly at his feet.Glad to walk away from this.Up until today I had been scared that I would panic but I was really calm through out the whole thing.I have Jumptandem to thank for my AFF training.And for him telling me to constantly practice my emergency procedures.I always gop through them on the ride up and even when I'm @work or home I'm going over what to do.ANd I'm happy to say that I did the right thing today.And it's sunday si I can't buy beer today. "

I'm being very positive about the incident except for the fact that I don't have a main right now.My confidence in myself is growing.Now that I know I won't panic if I have to cut away I can feel more relaxed about jumping.WHen the ribs heal up and I get a main.Watch out cause I
'm back in the skies again.

I have another question... it is common to look forward to your first cut-away? I have to say when I think about I get that tingly excited feeling. Must be a massive rush. Don't get me wrong I'm not chasing it or anything...but when it comes I will be fairly chuffed (assuming everything turns out ok of course!).

Am I a weirdo or what??? Am I alone in this??? Anyone actually enjoy having a cutaway (excluding the expense etc) or this is just "main rider" only sensation that's cured after your first cut????

I don't think your weird everyone wonders how they will react to a "Sressful situation".BUT seriously watch and study this
http://www.para-net.org/paramag/archives/directlive/direct182/images/fil.mov

a few times.... it looks simple to deal with BUT (Big BUT for emphasis) Think about all the potential for everything to escalate way to fast.
Read the thread Pilot chute intow in the Safety and training folder.not a diss man but becareful what you wish for..

My Decisions are based on Calculation, Not fear or Emotion.
Crazy is a matter of one's own perspective

By the way, what's PD got to say about your Spectre ? Please keep us posted on that.

Don't know what they have to say about it yet,My canopy is still on the way there.I'll post what they have to say about it when I hear from them.

I can only suppose that it is quite common.

Not having had a cutaway yet, I can't say for sure, but I do know that there is the equivalent of a VHS tape in my head of my bounce. This WFFC will be 5 years, and I can still recall all the sights and sounds from that "wonderful" experience -- the view of the helicopter landing hill from the air, the wind direction, the flag and the windblade, the turn, feeling my leg shatter, my neck sprain, the thoughts that ranthrough my mind, the aftermath.

I think it is our minds' way of helping us learn from our stressful situations.

I could not help but replay that tape every time I closed my eyes for several months. I had to ask a friend who had had a nasty accident when this would stop and she told me "in a few months, but you'll never really be rid of it".

I'm glad you did well and saved your life. Be sure to learn any lessons that your subconcious is trying to teach you.

Don't worry, you're not a freak.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?