mountainman

Sky Hook RSL - the discussion

I put my RSL on the right side, because every broken riser I've ever seen was the left one. And before the Collin's lanyard, if one riser broke, you certainly didn't want it to be the RSL side, did you?

Any idea how the left side became the standard side for the RSL? Most people are right handed and wearing an altimeter on their left hand. Those both seem like reasons to put it on the right.

Dave

I'm not an experience camerajumper (have between 75-100 camerajumps (gues)). I have an RSL on my rig, but not connected, only reason is the camerajumps. On my normal jumps I'm always doubting, but I'm afraid I forget to unhook it when I do camerajumps and Mr Murphy is watching....
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I am sending back every one of my Sigmas for skyhook retrofit.

And I will be jumping those Sigmas Chuck sends back for retrofit with complete confidence. In December Bill showed me the videos from the test jumps, spinning canopy cutaways and all. I am sold.

B|

Yes, whay can't we see these videos on www.relativeworkshop.com and be sold too? [:/];)

I put my RSL on the right side, because every broken riser I've ever seen was the left one. And before the Collin's lanyard, if one riser broke, you certainly didn't want it to be the RSL side, did you?

Any idea how the left side became the standard side for the RSL? Most people are right handed and wearing an altimeter on their left hand. Those both seem like reasons to put it on the right

RSL's are on the left on most rigs because they use a ripcord cable-through-ring type of RSL. The Vector, Micron, and Sigma use my direct pull RSL system, with the ripcord pin attached directly to the end of the RSL. This type of design doesn't damage the ripcord cable everytime it is used like the cable- through-ring design does.

Oh, btw, could you explain a little further why it's on the left side at "your" rig?

The design we have calls for the top reserve flap to be a single piece and (without giving too much away) different configurations of the rig would make it impossible for the RSL to be anywhere but on the left side. In the interest of building them all the same way, we're sticking with keeping the RSL on the same side throughout.

I'm sorry I can't go into more detail than that, but to say more would give away some design information that we're not ready to release yet. :)

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

No flame intended, but why not give away such information?

Bill's giving ALOT of info around and it makes me want a vector more and more...
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Bill's giving ALOT of info around and it makes me want a vector more and more...

That really is not fair.

Bill is smart enough to keep his inventions secret until they're already on the market. Rigging65 is giving you insight into a future product.

To compare the two is unfair and, and to critize rigging65 for protecting his unmarketed ideas is irresponsible.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The Vector, Micron, and Sigma use my direct pull RSL system, with the ripcord pin attached directly to the end of the RSL. This type of design doesn't damage the ripcord cable everytime it is used like the cable- through-ring design does

Can someone post a pic of how they are attached?

Thanks,

Cliff
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

There is a picture of my "direct attach" RSL toward the end of the Skyhook article at www.relativeworkshop.com. The reserve ripcord is not shown, but is simply a "loop" fitting at the end of the reserve ripcord cable, that slides over the static line pin.

That is partially correct. The Skyhook is not currently on the market. Actually they are taking orders for rigs with them installed......

They are available on new rig orders. I know of 2 people who have ordered new containers and have requested that the skyhook be installed. I am not sure of the ship dates for these however...
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

In a total, does the reserve bridle have to extricate itself from the metal clip on the RSL? It would seem that this is a potential snag point when the risers are attached.

Another way to ask the same question is whether there is a danger of a reserve PCIT as a result of the reserve bridle being attached (indirectly) to the risers?

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Having looked at the pictures on the web site some more, I think I understand - the RSL loop slips off the hardware if the reserve PC is pulling the bridle faster than the RSL is pulling the bridle.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

It wasn't critisisme, but curiousity....

I didn't knew we were talking about a new product. I don't know every rig manufactorer!

I didn't think I'd have to defend myself on this one, but...

Bill has always been great about sharing ideas and providing lots of great information for the entire industry...always has. However, in this case, the Sky Hook has been publicly released at the PIA Symposium and thoroughly discussed at the RWS booth there... And we have given up a lot information, just look at the website. It gives away several of the broad strokes right off the bat.

In addition to that, RWS already has a national market, and a national advertising campaign. Not to mention, they've already got a product line that's producing them money, which allows them to continue their advertising and national sales program.:P

I would never attempt to compare our company to the National Level manufacturers. When we release the Viper, it will be on a small regional level...just like Kelly Farrington did with the Infinity originally, which was a hugely successful program and is growing well today because of that decision. Damn smart move Kelly.

I'm not willing to release information for a very simple reason: We're a small company with some progressive ideas and a limited budget. Manufacturers are always watching the industry for new ideas, then reproducing/tweaking/modifying the ideas for their own use. Since they've got more money, they can do it faster than we can...which could result in our ideas showing up on their rigs before we can even redlease our product.

I hope this clears things up for any of you with questions. A small, saturated market is no place for a small Mfg. to give away secrets before their product is released.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Can any non-Relative Workshop container be
retrofitted , any plans too

Javelins can be purchased with the Skyhook as an option, but cannot be retrofitted (my understanding is that the retrofit would be too invasive to be affordable).

Several other manufacturers are in the process of getting the Skyhook as an option on new rigs... I haven't heard anything about allowing retrofits on rigs other than Vectors, though. Time will tell.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

There's no way to fault Bill Booth on this one. If you can "think" like a manufacturer you'd realize they get sick to their stomachs with every fatality. But the downside may be we are rewarding the wrong behavior. For instance a recent thread offered a free t-shirt for anyone's Skyhook story. Call me nuts, but the people who should get a prize are the ones who deploy on time, can recognize a malfunction, and then manage to pull two handles in the correct sequence.

And while it's impossible to argue the Skyhook won’t save lives, the flip side is the more we dumb down the gear the more we dumb up the skies . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

And while it's impossible to argue the Skyhook won’t save lives, the flip side is the more we dumb down the gear the more we dumb up the skies . . .

Yep. But I'm still glad for the invention. I got the skyhook retrofit over winter... I've had a violent spinning malfunction w/o an RSL & did everything right. I know I can handle it, and I still practice EP's exactly the same as I did before. But it's nice to know the skyhook is there.

Same reason I have an AAD that I never intend to need.... I have a visual and audible altimeter and use them, and I've never dumped below 2200', but it's nice to know the cypres is there.

why? because I know an older, smart, current, conservative jumper who got on a 30-way at nationals in Perris a few years back... every single person on that dive had thousands of jumps, and were accomplished skydivers, including some champions and legends. Somehow, breakoff didn't happen until 2,000', and there were 4 cypres fires, including the guy I know.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

$250 if you already have an RSL on your vector, $350 if you don't (they have to replace the reserve handle & install the lanyard).

Mine ran higher still... another $150 for new risers because old ones didn't have the RSL ring. (not too big of a loss, I wanted new risers anyway)

Still worth it, but a little more than I was hoping to spend.