Malev

Xenophobia

I have met many nice French people and a few unpleasant ones. Every year of my childhood I spent at least two weeks on holiday in the Vendee in France and I have very pleasant memories of it.

I have also met many nice and a few unpleasant people from a variety of other nations.

Why do "you" hate the French, or another nation. In my humble opinion it is often born from propaganda. Example: The failure of certain European nations to follow the US (& UK) into Iraq with wholehearted supprot has meant a press blitz of these nations. This then feeds into our minds. In the same way, these nations are being fed Anti-American and Anti-UK sentiment by their respective press and "fuelling the hatred". WWII was fuelled so much on Propaganda - the German people thought that what they were doing was right, (Caveat - many of them did - there were obvious exclusions), because of the propaganda machine yet we have not learnt to take it with a pinch of salt - why?

There is always an element of Xenophobia (IMHO) from our nature as animals who protect our immeadiate environments but for our respective governments to fuel this is twisting this nature.

Let us all get on as Skydiving brothers and sisters. I am sure that if a French, Irish, Yugoslavian or even Iraqi skydiver were to walk onto the DZ one day we would treat them as a friend.

The only real disagreement I have with B-E-M is that he will dislike the French until he meets a nice one. Innocent until proven guilty or guilty until proven innocent?

My 2Cents.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

I couldn’t agree with you more (). But where is the difference between been Xenophobic and Racism?.

With a family part French part Spanish and Hispanic I couldn’t be Xenophobic much less Racist.

The first thing that strikes me here in North America was the racial pressure this society has, where in high schools they teach racial Tolerance instead of acceptance. Accept the person for who he/she is, give that person a job for his/hers qualifications instead of racial origin, to me that’s the biggest issue.

Of course we are going to find people with different opinions than us, “the human been is what the culture makes him be” (Clifford Gertz) I think
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

First of all Chris, I don't dislike you. Debating topics like this are not personal for me. Just fun and educational. As a fellow skydiver you are welcome here any time. The same would go for a French Skydiver... as long as I don't start getting ripped down by a verbal tongue lashing in the first 30 seconds of meeting.

My dislike for French has nothing to do with propaganda, but was borne out of personal experience. I will always extend the same "Minnesota Nice" toward anyone no matter where they are from. However the stain of my past experiences with French speaking tourists will always remain. So I am sure I will be much quicker to judge.

My whole rightest line of arguing was to try to bring poor Malev to the center a bit. Yes the French bash us--we're an easy target because we are bigger and get our way. Yes we bash the French for different reasons all the time, BUT it is much easier because they are generally not nice to people that don't speak French.

That is made apparent by the article I linked earlier where the French Gov't. has begun an ad campaign to try to get is shop keepers and people that deal with tourists to not be so rude, and smile. The reputation of rudeness is not one that is made up by the US propaganda machine, it is one that was earned. Even the French Gov't acknowledges that. Those of you that speak French don't really have anything to worry about anyway, and have probably not seen it to the extent that non-French speakers have.

Who's right in this argument? Absolutely NO ONE. Xenophobia... is a bit of a stretch. Are we completely innocent of the charges... No. Are the French innocent victims... No. Will throwing accusations of Xenophobia at Americans do anything but create backlash... No. Are all French asses... No.

So the biggest question of all of this, what can be done to resolve the issues that are at the root of the cause? I actually think the French Gov't has the right idea with the ad campaign. I hope it works, and I commend them for taking the first step. If the French started being nice, it'd be pretty hard to mean to them... and the circle of name calling might actually stop. I hope it works.;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you like my new quote?

Hope you don't get Banned!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm.. now that you mention it, it has got a familiar ring to it.

-- Hope you don't die. --

Actually... you did inspire me... I just couldn't remember yer name lol

Heres my two cents worth! If you have never traveled to another country, you are only going to observe from afar. People who have never been in france, base their judgments on the french they have met where they live, and what the media tells them. It's not really a well rounded view of the people in general. When you travel to another country, you can do it one of two ways. You can do the tourist thing.. see the sites... spend tons of money on shit you dont want, etc just for the hell of it, Or you can be a traveler. These are the people who travel light and see how the real people that live in a counrty live. When in Rome, and all that. They are the people get a real taste of what a country is like. They make friends... stay in cheap accomodation.... eat like the locals. Talk to the general public and take an interest in local newsetc, and they find out what really goes on there and how it differs from where they come from. A lot of Europeans see America as the Rich Bossy Country that tells us all what to do. If you can't as an American handle being seen like that and making a stand without reinforcing that, then you will have a miserable time.

Playing golf in a foreign counrty doesnt really teach you much about it. Nor does it give you a true perspective on what life is like for everyday folks.

If you were to travel to the same place twice and do the same trip as a tourist and then as a traveler... I think I would be safe to say that you would come away with two very different experiences. People are the happiest dealing with what they view as non threatening. Its a fact! It's pretty obvious to me that if you approach the french, speaking.. or trying to speak french they give you credit. Or if your American and you talk about soccer in a pub in England, (hopefully your not going on about the hooligans) LOL, you'll get points for being interested. They know more then you about it... more then likely... so your no longer a know it all!

But always remember, the french, brits and Irish are sarcastic by nature. That can be misunderstood by Americans as being condesending. All euro countries slag each other off. Damit, were all guilty of the wooly back/ sheep shagger/ redneck comments even in our own countries.

Aussies are definatly the best travelers I have met. They seem to be well prepared for whatever they get thrown at them.

Is it possible that this is what we see going on here?

The Irish are all leprechauns ;) and potatoe picking is a hobby for most !!!!

This post was not directed at anyone in particual.

travel light and see how the real people that live in a counrty live. ---

Well said, Sue. My father, who escaped from Russia when he was 9 years old during the Revolution, gave me the same advice. That is why when i came to San Francisco rather than stay at the Mark Hopkins or the Motel 6, I stayed at the Street Whore Hostel and Needle Exchange. Did i go to Fisherman's Wharf and the acquarium? NO! I went out and stood under the awning of the liquor store on 15th where I made freinds with people who didnt even speak english...but i'll tell you one thing, even the little kids had mastered metrics!!! Even a 13 year old knew a how many grams make an eigth of an ounce.
My father, of course, could always communicate with anyone because he could speak Yiddish. You can always find someone who speaks Yiddish.

And sue, i want to publicly thank you for that wonderful thing you did for me....after our "night together" you standing on the pavement outside the Hostel, weaving erotically and drooling foolishly, singing, "What's good enough for other folks just isn't good enough for me -- ohhhhhh my and my RC, yes me and my RC!"

Love
RC

LMFAO............

after our "night together" you standing on the pavement outside the Hostel, weaving erotically and drooling foolishly, singing, "What's good enough for other folks just isn't good enough for me --

Ruth....... Thats why your still a virgin hun, and i didnt want to bring this up BUTT...the bus fare wasn't really $35 either! !;)

Well, following your debate, I would be very wary if a towel head seats next to me in any flight, doemstic or international. It is not about hating a particular race or creed, but unless Iknow them personally, I would on the defense with them.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

"I would be very wary if a towel head seats next to me in any flight"
Yeah, you'd be much, much, much safer in another row on the plane......

I can just see it at check-in..."window or aisle sir...Dodgy or non dogy travelling companion...."
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

BZZZ wrong answer. Xenophobia is a scientific term, used to describe a specific condition. The definition I gave was the ONLY definiton listed in the Merriam-Webster's Dictionary.

So, if it's a scientific term, why haven't you taken your reference from a scientific dictionary, and instead have used Webster's?

Which as I know, at least in the US, is a standard.

Dear dear, when will you septics understand that there is NO SUCH THING as 'American English', and that the mis-spelled abomination you call a language is, in fact, simply a corruption of the Queen's English, spoken in the Mother Land?

If we are to use a 'standard', for God's sake let it be the OED.

However to further complicate the argument, I would point out that lexicography is an art, not a science. Language is an ever-growing and evolving entity; it is nothing more than a mechanism for the majority to communicate using commonly understood terms. To circumscribe a word, phrase or even a whole language with the intention of 'fixing' it rigidly with certain definitions, is not only impossible, it is irrelevant. Langauage functions through the general consensus of its users. Lexicographers are simply trying to reflect the psyche or conceptions of a group of people who all use the same terms (or 'signs') to communicate.

In essence, a perfect dictionary is an impossibility.

I think nit-picking over semantics serves no purpose on here and clouds the real issue, which is whether or not prejudice based on a race, nationality, colour or creed is acceptable.

And regarding the 'savages' comment - the French, believe it or not, do have a sense of humour. We should stop looking at a nationality as a whole and remember we are all individuals. I have met nice French skydivers and nasty French bus drivers, nice American skydivers and stupid American waitresses.

Mind you, I'm yet to meet a Welshman who hadn't shagged a sheep.

"I would be very wary if a towel head seats next to me in any flight"

Yeah, you'd be much, much, much safer in another row on the plane......

I would like to see people's faces when they see one of those towel heads on board. Either way I would help in any effort to contain an unrully traveler, either creed or color.

I can just see it at check-in..."window or aisle sir...Dodgy or non dogy travelling companion...."

Either way, the only think you can ask for is window or aisle. So I don't see your point, I choose to airtravel regardless the risk involved.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

I would like to see people's faces when they see one of those towel heads on board. Either way I would help in any effort to contain an unrully traveler, either creed or color.

We have been having a serious, albeit opinionated, discussion here. However, not only is that totally irrelevant to the thread, but "towel head" is a racist slur. This kind of post is totally uncalled for.