kevin922

Police shooting in Louisana

click here -- Warning! this is a graphic video showing 3 officers attempting to stop a guy in louisana who once he finally gets cornered in pulls out a cell phone and holds it like a gun.. he ends up getting shot 8 times. I believe he lives but now everyone down there is playing the race card....

What do you think?

That is disgusting that officers would conduct themselves like that.
The man in question is not threatening the officers at all.
Do your officers not carry pepper spray?
How about tazers?
Do they not know how to use their batons?
Too many questions to be asked about this.
I truly hope that the officers in question get what they deserve.

Whats more would you shoot someone in the back?
Don't they call people like that cowards?

www.myspace.com/durtymac

That is disgusting that officers would conduct themselves like that.
The man in question is not threatening the officers at all.
How about tazers?
Too many questions to be asked about this.
I truly hope that the officers in question get what they deserve.

Hear hear.
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

I was a cop, and I watched the video of the guy with the cellphone. He never pointed it at the police, and if you watch the officer on the left, he just opened up into the guys back like he had a machine gun. Those two officers should be fired from the force. They are a disgrace to the police. I think the second cop was a woman. Both officers obviously are unable to keep their cool in a situation, and feel they can kill at any whim. really awful. Bill Cole D41

anyone have sound on the video? i didn't.....i wanted to know if the cops are yelling at him to drop the gun (cell phone) I wouldn't say that the shooting was justified if they knew it was a cell phone. But then again thats what happens after you run from the police and start pointing things that look like guns in the dark at them......:|

Steve
Therapy is expensive, popping bubble wrap is cheap.

Ya know, this type of shit always gets blown out of hand by the media. Chris Rock did an instructional video on how not to get shot by the cops and I think this incident would of been adverted if the guy had only seen that video.

Dumb ass refused to stop or follow the police's instructions, appeared to present a threat to them in a low light situation and then attempted to flee. Sorry, but he got what was coming to him as he brought that on himself. If he had stopped like normal,sane people do when the police tell you to stop his ass wouldn't of gotten shot, no matter what his color.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

So if i dont stop when a cop wants me too he can shoot me? The guy was walking away.

Don't play bullshit word games with me on this, I shouldn't have to explain this to you. There was more to that situation than what was seen in the short video clips I'm sure that led to that situation escalting to that point.Not to mention the guy pointed an object at one of the officers.

edited once I realized you are not a LEO
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Okay well I was a reserve for a brief stint and I believe it was there that the advisory about these cell phone guns was put out. So in a low light situation when someone holds something like a gun and points it at you then even if you don't realize it is a cell phone there is PC (probable cause) to be concerned. And even if you did realize it was a cell phone there is still PC as cell phone guns DO exist. I agree that he was shot in the back and that doesn't seem right, local PD I don't think has the "okay" to shoot someone like that (fed authorities on the other hand are under a different ruleset.. don't do that to an FBI agent)

I don't think it is so black and white.. I do think 8 times is excessive and the fact he shot while the guy was walking away seems questionable.

reply] Yeah, and, more crucially IMO, the bloke wasn't pointing anything, never mind a gun, at the cops!

watch the car 138 video....the guy turns and points his cell phone at one of the cops as he is walking away....

Steve
Therapy is expensive, popping bubble wrap is cheap.

Don't play bullshit word games with me on this, as a former cop I shouldn't have to explain this to you. There was more to that situation than what was seen in the short video clips I'm sure that led to that situation escalting to that point.

Oh c'mon, the clip may be short, but it clearly shows that he was only walking and he certainly wasn't pointing anything at them. There can't be any excuse for shooting a guy eight times in a situation like that.

Edit: ok, I didn't see him point anything, I stand corrected if the opposite is true.
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

As a former cop? Their are a lot of great police out today but their is also a bunch that have no right in the position they are in. I just watched a video of a few of them.

My bad, I thought you had stated you were a cop. point something at a cop in a low light situation, any cop and see if you don't get a excited response from him/her, it has nothing to do with if the guy was a good or bad cop. Do you know the cops involved personally? how can YOU say weather or not they were good cops or not? This ranks up there with the Darwin awards.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Up Front, I am biased. My father was a policeman for years. So I lean far more towards the side of the police and making sure they are OK.

Excessive Force. Yes. Multiple shots was definitely overkill.

Justified/Unjustified. I don't think we can tell from the video. You pull a guy over that you have been chasing with 3 police cars. Then the guy gets out and starts walking away then makes a pointing gesture at one policeman while holding something in his hand on a dark night? Why didn't the guy listen to the police? Did the policeman truly fear for his life or the life of his fellow officer? Without being there, we can't know.

So please don't start bashing the police, they have a sh*tty job. You never want them around until the crap hits the fan. Most of us dread seeing a police car because it means we just got nailed for speeding. Then if you get robbed or something else, they aren't responding quick enough.
A policeman puts his/her life in danger every time they pull someone over. They are never certain that when they walk up to that drivers side door to ask for your license and insurance card that the driver isn't sitting there with a gun. Talk about a stressful job.

Sorry for the vent, but I have seen first hand what the stress of being a cop can do to a person and it really isn't pretty.

Right he pointed a cell phone at them.
One could not of shot him in the leg? they need to pump 8 rounds into the guy?

You are trained to shoot for body mass, not a leg. Unless you've been in a position where you've had to pull a gun on someone i think it is hard to say "shoot him in the leg" it isn't that easy, it isn't the movies.

The guy that gets shot is a dumbass. When people are pointing guns at you you do what they say. This is a rule to follow regardless of whether or not they have badges.

The stupid SOB didn't need to be shot though.

What I thought was interesting was the cop that fired first, shot quite a few rounds (I lost count) from VERY close range without hitting this guy.
After he let loose, the other cop shot the guy once in the back. The guy that shot first should be fired for
A) blowing the call on when to shoot
B) not being able to shoot straight

I know that training says go for the body shot but at 5 feet, how hard is it to kneecap a guy that isn't even running?

I still wonder just what he needed from the Circle K so bad that he didn't have time to talk to the nice officers.

How about tazers?

Well, If anyone tries to use any of these items on me when I'm holding a gun, the first thing I am going to do is shoot the moron in the head. To use a less than lethal method against a person that is "presumably" willing to use a lethal method--Its just suicide for the officer.

Police training and common sense tells you that if someone appears to have a gun, you better have a gun too.

8 Shots excessive? NO. You keep shooting until the person is unable to shoot back. --which means dead or unconscious on the ground.

One could not of shot him in the leg?

If the cop shoots 'em in the leg, the arms eyes, and fingers still work and are capable of returning fire and killing the officer.

This isn't just bang your dead, bad guy lie down. This is real life and death. Police cannot read minds; giving a hostile person the benefit of the doubt can cost an officer his/her life. Whether or not they guy intended it to be a threat, the officer in the situation obviously perceived it as a lethal threat and took appropriate action based on his perception.

I've heard a few comments in this thread like "that's Louisiana for you" and other derogatory comments. I was born and raised in Shreveport, LA and not all of us are dumb rednecks. Generalization is ignorance.

You cannot make a judgement on whether this shooting was right or wrong by this short video clip. You need to get the whole story. What transpired before this video was shot that led up to this travesty? Do you think these cops actually enjoyed this? You do not know unless you speak with them. Have you ever done a ride-along with a Shreveport cop? I have and it is scary what they contend with on a daily basis. I was involved in one armed robbery on my trip and countless break-ins and drug trafficking with armed dealers.

Becareful how you throw out opinions - get your facts in check first.
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M