Push

Have you ever seen the Aurora?

The Aurora, also called the Northern Lights, forms around the geomagnetic poles of the Earth. Hence, you can only see it in the extremes of the planet. I've always wanted to see it. How about you?

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Oldsmobile or Borealis? :P:P:P

Seriously, at Gimli Manitoba (Canada, eh) we are often treated to Northern Lights - just imagine getting yourself into a 'state' after the Beer light is on and then lying out in the middle of the field and watching the sky glow green and swirl around. :S:S. Add 'Astronomy Domine' or other suitable works by Pink Floyd (which one is Pink??) and you have a real mind blower.

Fantastic set of photos - pity they can not emulate the swirling, dancing nature of the true spectatle. It's NOT true that you must be near the poles - but it IS true that the effect becomes stronger. I'm guessing those photos were taken in Iceland or Scandahoovia somewhere near the Arctic Circle

-Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Why would anyone want to see the Oldsmobile?:P

I've never seen it, but I would do anything for a chance. It's on my list of things to do before I die. You guys seem like you're having a grand time there after the beer light. I might just have to go and visit:)

I'm guessing those photos were taken in Iceland or Scandahoovia somewhere near the Arctic Circle

Iceland, yeah.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Living in Canada, I doubt trhere is anyone who hasnt seen it. At times, so bright and from one horizon to the other. It is the most spectacular show in the world...and its free. If you ever get to Canada, especially on a bitter cold winter night, watch for it.

I've lived in Canada for six years and I haven't seen it. Toronto, though. It probably stays away from the radio noise.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

the pictures you have shown are from exposures greater than 30+ seconds. The camera "grabs" light and builds a denser image. In "real life" the aurora is less dense, more etheral, and way more awesome.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

They start 40 miles up. Maybe, if you're on a balloon.

That would be cool.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

Lying in a field?
Sitting in a hot tub, with friends and a case of cold ones
after a fun day skydiving, watching the light show.
though what we see here in Edmonton is not as bright as in the pics.
I have seen them that bright when I lived in the Peace River country about 5 hours drive to the north.

AndrewB|

During certain, really intense solar/geomagnetic events, particularly during the winter months, you can see them in some lattitudes much further south than normal. I've seen them as far south as New York state.

My first experience was while I was stationed in Iceland. Got my ears good and frostbit I was so mesmerised by them, but it wasn't the best show. Later on that winter, I was riding brakes in an F-4 on our way back from an engine run out on the trim pad. It was around 11:00 at night- and the whole sky lit up like nothing you could ever imagine. I had a great seat- No lights or anything to ruin the show, and I was protected from the weather. You have to see them in person to really apprreciate the spectacle.

Check out www.spaceweather.com

Easy Does It

I have always wanted to see that stuff. I have a question: do the lights move around? For some reason I always imagined that they shimmer and move back and forth, but I've never really known. :S

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but since it is acutally caused by charged particles from the son hitting the atmosphere, I don't think they "stay away" from pollution or lights, or radio waves. My guess is that you can't see them when there is a lot of light pollution, but they are still there.

MB 3528, RB 1182

We would see Northern Lights (White ribbon) sometimes but, never THE "Aurora Borealis" (colors)
I'm sure that in person, it is beyond words.

They do dance. I grew up in the middle-to-north parth of BC, and countless hours where spent through highschool, laying in the snow or standing on roofs (and later, on the hoods of our cars). We'd see them all the time up there. Since I've been in vancouver, I haven't seen them once. But christmas back home never fails. They are incredible, horizon-to-horizon.

They could stay away from cities if the cities interfere with the magnetic field of the Earth. Of course, I have no real idea of the scale of what I'm talking about here, so a city to the geomagnetic field could be a drop of water in an ocean. Or, maybe not.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo

seen it a few times in northern wisconsin. No where near as good looking as that though.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka