chrisat13000ft

Silhouette v's Spectre

Im looking for reviews from people who have experienced both the Silhouette and the Spectre for a comparison.
I currently jump a Spectre 190. I have 300 jumps on it (485 jumps total) and am loading it at a little over 1:14.
I am looking at downsizing to a 170 and had my heart set on another spectre.. But someone has offered me a Silhouette 170 (which i will be loading at just under 1:3)

Just wandering, from experience, what the main differences in characteristics will be..

Thanks in advance :-)

Silouhette is a very nice canopy but make sure that you are not over loading it. It should be like the new Pulse, better ask at PD to guide you because those canopies are getting less performant with over loading due to F111 material. Sincerly, it is a nice choice depending what you are looking for.

The Silhouette will have a flatter glide and will probably have snappier turns. Openings will likely be faster, but still on-heading. Should surf longer during and have a more powerful flare, too, but I've never understood why people complain about a Spectre's flare.
Brian

There are much more qualified people on this forum than me to give tips but if you're asking me then I can tell you what I do when I get a new canopy to work out the flare. I think the people tend to learn muscle memory from whatever they're used to flying. When they practice flare up high, it probably feels reasonably good but in reality, when landing, the flare they've learnt isn't going to work or will need to be perfectly timed to actually make it happen.

Generally speaking, I've heard two methods for learning a flare up high. One is to feel the seat of the pants, when you start feeling Gs. The other is to watch the leading edge of the canopy as you flare and see when it comes back to you (i.e. you're swinging under the canopy and level out). I use #2.

Firstly, check where your tail deflects when you pull your brakes, that means clearing your airspace and then pulling down both toggles until you see deflection or, you can see that the control lines become (mostly) straight. You should have your hands there when just before you flare. This will be different for different canopies and will change when you have your brake lines adjusted.

Once you've figured out where your deflection point is, clear your airspace again and look where the leading edge of your canopy is in relation to you. It should be ahead of you a little in full flight. Remember that when a canopy recovers from input, that recovery takes time, I've been told up to 10 seconds. I've personally found that PD canopies I've flown (Spectre included) like to have a 2 stage flare (where as Icarus canopies seem to work better for me with a single stage flare - YMMV) so I'll generally then do a quicker, shorter first stage to around my ears on the Spectre (IIRC) and then I have the rest of the toggle stroke, which is a lot for the Spectre, to actually flare and then slow down and stop the canopy. For me, the first stage of a 2 stage flare is used to level the canopy out, that's why I like to watch the nose of the canopy rather than "feel it" (but again, that's just IMO).

So, once you've practiced this up high, checking for stall point of course and continually clearing your airspace, you need to actually land your canopy. Unfortunately, all the practice flares in the world won't fully prepare you to land your canopy. The practice flares are just to give you a feel for the basics and and ballpark inputs to give you the results you're looking for. Once you get on to final, you're going to then have to do all the hard stuff which is estimating the initial flare point based on speed and glide. You're better off flaring higher than lower obviously because you can hold the initial flare and the power out the rest if you need to. Outside video would be really helpful if you're really having issues, i.e. not standing it up. If you are standing it up but feel that you're rushing, or going too early, then you can adjust based on that. You can also have someone watch and tell you what's happening.

Hope this helps, maybe some of the more experienced people can correct this where it's not right.

While doing research I really felt the Silhouette was what I am looking for but instead ended up ordering a Pulse.

I imagine both are good choices for a beginner but still wait to experience it myself..

I jumped a Silhoutte in Deland, it was lots of fun, the turns were very snappy. I ordered a a pulse as well because the low pack volume allows me to keep my same container longer.

I get mine next week, hopefully the pulse will be just as fun.

While doing research I really felt the Silhouette was what I am looking for but instead ended up ordering a Pulse.

I imagine both are good choices for a beginner but still wait to experience it myself..

I jumped a Silhoutte in Deland, it was lots of fun, the turns were very snappy. I ordered a a pulse as well because the low pack volume allows me to keep my same container longer.

I get mine next week, hopefully the pulse will be just as fun.

Good to hear also others who considered a Silhouette.

I am still not convinced that Pulse is a better choice, especially do I suspect that Silhouette offers more consistent on-heading openings. But packing was also important for my decision.

I hope to be proven wrong once I get to jump the Pulse. Those I know who jump Pulse seem very comfortable with it.

Thankyou everyone for your input.
I have decided, probably for sentimental reasons, to stick with a Spectre.
Im now in the process of getting the cash together for one thats on offer.
On another note.. As ive now sold my 190 (someone made me an offer i couldnt refuse) im now canopyless..
Someone has offered me a PD170 for free!! I plan to use this until i get the spectre sorted.. Any thoughts / commments re the PD?

I have decided, probably for sentimental reasons, to stick with a Spectre.

:D...sentimental reasons...:D Come on now, at least say you think the Spectre is just the right combination of characteristics that you want. Don't blame it on sentiment!

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Someone has offered me a PD170 for free!! I plan to use this until i get the spectre sorted.. Any thoughts / commments re the PD?

Don't load a PD over 1:1, so don't jump it if you're over 148lbs/67kg bodyweight. Prepare for much brisker openings than a spectre, and less flare especially if the canopy has more jumps. Other than that, if it's free and you're not too heavy and are not jumping camera, why not. Should be very easy to pack ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia