jtval

muscular fitness

ok if youve seen my Cardio routine thread you know I started this one too! LOL

whats youre muscular fitness routine?
I will post mine but I am barely into it again.
once I get to swing shift I will be able to hit the gym more often.
as of right now Im doing just enough to feel the burn; I love that feeling. but its not even enough to bother mentioning.
Ive been on the Body for life routine for sometime in the past but right now Im freelancing LOL

so tell me your routine and secrets of not getting bored!;)
My photos

My Videos

Saw your other post, didn't want to leave you hanging on this post.....

My routine: 3 days a week aerobic (running mostly), 3 days a week weights....

Day 1: Chest, tris and biceps (3 sets, 10 reps each)
2: Run......for time not distance....
3: Squats, guads, and calves (3 sets, 10 r)
4: Run
5: Back work only (same sets, and reps)
6: Run
7: Rest

I do ab work every other day.

Ease into this one. Otherwise you'll be way too sore the next day. I usually don't lift during the summer and every fall end up way to sore when I start back. It's good to work a muscle group twice a week. I like to have a heavy day and a light day. An important fact to remember in weight training is that it is very easy to over train. Most people start out with a program that they are making gains on and keep adding to it until they are doing too much or lifting too often. Remember your rest time and nutrition are critical if you want to make progress. I used to read a lot of muscle magazines. The routines that the pros use may be way too much for the average Joe. It's better to under train than over train, if you are after greater strength or muscle size. If your goal is just over all fitness you might not worry about overtraining so much, but working a muscle group four or more times a week may not be productive. But then again your calves and abs may be a little different. Some folks train them every day. I'd recommend doing a lift that works several muscle groups at once. These are the lifts that really build strength. Lifts like bench press, squats, dead lift, military press, chin ups, etc. Learn good form or you can get hurt doing these. Use a lifting belt when needed. Don't go to heavy. If you can't do five reps you are probably going too heavy and risk getting hurt. Warm up by doing lighter reps before going heavy. This will keep you from getting hurt. If you have a bad back or knees you may not be able to do some exercises. Doing some lifts are isolation exercises that only work one muscle group at a time. You might make more gains doing exercises that work several major muscle groups at once. I've seen some people do twenty-five sets of arm curls. This is probablly way too much to make gains on. I've got to run. I hope this makes sense, I don't have time to edit this one.......Steve1

Ok, I'm going to post my basic workout, since I do use a lot of instinctive training, but this is the basic form of the workout.

Day1: Chest/Tri.

Flat bench 4-sets, 10reps to 6 reps
incline bench, 3 sets, 10 reps to 8 reps
cable crossovers, 3 sets, 10 reps

Arnold presses (a variation of seated dumbell shoulder press) 3 sets, 8 reps

Laying french press 3 sets 10-8 reps
close grip bench press 3 sets 10-8reps
Rope handle pressdowns 3 sets 10-8 reps
revers grip one arm pulldowns 3 sets reps to burn out

Day 2: Back/Bi-cepts

Lat pulls 4 sets 10-8 reps
Bent over rows 3 sets 10-8 reps
Dead lifts 3 sets 8-6 reps
Upright rows 3 sets 8 reps
dumbbell shrugs 3 sets 8-10 reps

Standing cambered bar curls (aka 15s, 5 low, 5 high, 5 full motion). 3 sets 15 reps

Preacher bench curls 3 sets, 8-10 reps
seated incline dumbell curls, 3 sets 8-10 reps
standing dumbbell curls (decinding set) 3 sets, burnout reps

Day 3: Legs.

Leg extensions 4 sets 8-10 reps
Leg press or Squats (depends on the week) 4 sets 8-6 reps
Dumbell lunges 3 sets 8-10 reps
leg curls 3 sets 8-10 reps
Calf-presses/raises (using a calf press machine) 3 sets 10-12 reps

Day 4: Shoulder/Arm day
Arnold press 3 sets 10-8 reps
Dumbbell raises (front, side and rear) 3 sets each, 8 reps each

(the following are superset pairs)
Seated french curl 3 sets 8 reps
Standing cambard bar curl 3 sets 8 reps

Seated dumbell press (like a french curl, but with a single dumbbell in both hands) 3 sets 8 reps
Preacher curl 3 sets 8 reps

Seated Single arm extensions 3 sets 8 reps
seated concentration curls 3 sets 8 reps

Single arm, reverse grip pull downs 3 sets 10+ reps
Single arm cable curls 3 sets 10+ reps
(those sets are done in quick succession, no rest, and alternate between tri/bi instead of doing 3 full sets then 3 full sets).

Now, do another 10 sets of something for your forearms.

There, that is my 4 day split. Abs are thrown in there, but I did'nt put them down. That's the work out I'v ejust now gotten myself back to, thats the one I did 2 years ago when I was working out all the time and looked really good, but I quite lifting 2 years ago and just now got back into it about 2 months ago.

That workout is not a beginner routine, if you try to do that one as your first workout, you will burn out and quite lifting. Once you work up to that lifting schedule, then you'll find that my workout spurs some serious growth and a serious amount of strength.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

My workout routine is
Day 1
Chest
Incline dumbell press (4 sets 6-10 reps pyramiding my weights)
Flat dumbell press (4 sets 6-10 reps pyramiding my weights)
Incline fly(5 sets 6-10 reps pyramiding my weights)
Back
Lat pull downs ( 5 sets 6-10 reps pyramiding my weights)
Compound row( 5 sets 6-10 reps pyramiding my weights)

10 minutes of stair stepping on an elliptical machine

Day 2
Triceps
Dips ( 5 sets adding weigh 6-10 reps)
French bar curl super seted with close grip bench press (3 sets 6-10reps pyramiding my weights)
Pulley push downs (2 sets 6-10 reps pyramiding my weighs)

Byceps
Barbell curl ( 5 sets 6-10 reps pyramiding my weights)
Preacher curl (5 sets 6-10 reps pyramiding my weights)
Count 21’s ( 1 set)

10 minutes of stair stepping on an elliptical machine

Day 3
Cardio day
Use to be run 2-1/2 miles then bicycle 3 miles however I really sprained my ankle so now it is
25 minutes of stair stepping on an elliptical machine

Day 4
Legs
Leg Extension ( 5 sets 6-10 reps pyramiding my weights)
Leg Press ( 5 sets 6-10 reps pyramiding my weights)
Standing Calf Raises( 5 sets 6-10 reps pyramiding my weights)

Shoulders
Upright Rows( 3 sets 6-10 reps pyramiding my weights)
Shoulder Shrugs ( 5 sets 6-10 reps pyramiding my weights)
Military Press ( 2 sets 6-10 reps pyramiding my weights)

Now most bodybuilding programs believe in working one major muscle group with one minor such as Chest and Triceps, Back and Biceps, Legs and shoulders. I have found personally that my back is out of portion to the rest of my body so I have changed it around. Also I found that it was really hard to get a great burn on my biceps and triceps after working the major muscle group so by combinding to majors Chest and Back, it let me take a day and work on my arms.
Kirk

In order to get my heartrate up into that target range and to get my breathing going, I do stationary aerobics. I find a nice workout bench to sit on with some light weights. Then I watch the girls step aerobics class. My heartrate goes up just as fast, but it isn't as hard on my knees as running. :ph34r:

In order to get my heartrate up into that target range and to get my breathing going, I do stationary aerobics. I find a nice workout bench to sit on with some light weights. Then I watch the girls step aerobics class. My heartrate goes up just as fast, but it isn't as hard on my knees as running. :ph34r:

Great idea! I'll have to work that into my routine....Steve1

God my workout routine is half-assed....

I run 3 miles 3-4 times a week.

I will attempt to lift weights 2 times a week. I'll do all muscle groups. I usually do 2 sets, 8-15 reps (second set always has less reps!)

Yeah, it's half-assed.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I keep things varied so much it's not even funny. I don't lift too many weights anymore - just small dumb-bells. I stick mainly to giant sets of body weight exercises and vary my routine greatly. I include a bit of martial arts, stretching, yoga, ballet (I lost a bet once and had to take ballet for a month), gymnastics, etc.

A couple of my favorite giant sets:

Delts - 8-10 reps each exercise w/NO REST in between
(light dumbells, 15-25 lbs depending on how I feel)

front raises (palms down)
lateral raises
bent lateral raises
L-lateral raises (keep arms bent in an L shape)
front raises (palms up)
military press
front raises (30degree out, palms in hammer curl posit)

After warming up with a quick 100 pushups&situps or so and stretching my back with a gymnast's bridge for a bit, I'll sometimes do the following giant set (or some modification) for a few times as party of my workout - usually 10 times or so; no rest between anything of course. I'll do 10-20 reps per exercise, sometimes alternating, but never less than 10:

-wall walk
-push ups (any style; I like dive bomber for a good workout)
-no weight squats(or ballet squat of some sort; I can't spell the damned french words for them)
-situps
-regular push ups
-mountain climbers
-flutter kicks (four count, of course)
wall walk
repeat........

Vary the speed of the exercises too if you want some variety - a two minute knuckle push up is a nice burn - especially if you elevate your legs. Handstand pushups are AWESOME!

If you want a really good workout, get a heavy bag/speed bag and do some work with them. Good shyte. I miss mine and keep meaning to get another one.

Sorry to be so eclectic, but I have no set workout. Sometimes I'll just do push-ups while I watch the news and switch the style when I get bored. Or sometimes I'll do a couple hundred and then go on a run. I used to bodybuild back in college but don't enjoy that kind of stuff any more.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Beerlight

been an X-gym instructor that sounds like a canny routine,

The things you do should only suit you, dont expect to take some one elses routine and fit into it, it doesnt work like that.

I do a full work out every day, cardio and muscles at the gym i spend an hour there every night and if i work nights every day.

my advice to you is do what feels right to you and no more when you get used to what you do increase the reps and time you do it.

have a good one.

B|

Run to pizza place because it's about to close.

Then 100 repetitions on the remote.

Grab beer. Bottle to mouth. Drink. Put down. Repeat til out of beer.

Run to shop to get beer because it's about to close.

Run after bus. Miss bus. Walk to wherever I'm going.

Go to soccer game. Try to avoid the beer when people suddenly raise their arms coz our team scores. Exercise lungs by screaming "Have a nice trip home" to the away team after we win.

Lug scuba tanks to get paid in beer. Carry sisters gearbag. Pack her chute as well as my own coz I owe her money. Do pullups on the wing span thingy on the C182 (we have a camera mounted above it, so I gotta look cool).

Dance a lot after drinking beer (when suddenly all music sounds good).

Visit to the climbing club. Attempt to get up the wall two times. Head for the bus when the 13 year old kids do it on the first try. Run (and miss) the bus.

Works for me.B|

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

The routine my team usually does is somewhat varied but none the less challenging for muscular endurance. A typical work out week can consist of the following with some additions or subtractions.

Day 1: stretch, pyramid push ups usually from 50 down to 0 then back up alternating between with an ab exercise that alternates as well, IE: 50 situps, 25 crunches each side, 100, 4 count flutter kicks and finish with 25 , 4 count mother fuckers until both the push ups and ab exercises are done. Then 2 mile run at own pace,stretch

Day 2: stretch, 2-3 mile run usually at 6 to 6:30 min pace no slower than 7 min pace. Finish with combo of upper and lower body(abs) exercises ,stretch

Day 3: stretch, light upper and lower body exercises. 1 -1 1/2 hours of hand to hand combatives or knife fighting.stretch

Day 4: stretch, light upper/lower body. 1 1-1/2 hrs of full contact grappling, stretch

Day 5: stretch, upper and lower body, 2-4 mile run at own pace. stretch

Some times we alternate a hand to hand day or two with weights and swimming or bike rides to keep it fresh. Of course there is always the obligatory ruck march with a min of 65lbs from 3-12 miles every now and then too but that just sucks period.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Of course there is always the obligatory ruck march with a min of 65lbs from 3-12 miles every now and then too but that just sucks period.

The rusksack marchs bring back memories. I had lot's of great instructors in S.F. But I remember one guy who was a reall idiot. We were at Bragg in phase 3, (at least that is what it was called then), and we had to make a forced march with rucksacks that weighed around 65 lbs. I don't recall the exact weight, but the deal was that if your ruck didn't weigh that amount, a huge sand bag was tied on top. At any rate a several of us had packs that were a little light. So on went these sandbags. Then the forced march began with this big fat Bozo leading the way. Of course he had nothing on his back and was walking as fast as he could go. Well it didn't take long till those of us with the heaviest rucksacks were lagging behind. Several guys stopped and threw the sand bags into the brush. I should have done the same, but a couple of us decided to tough it out and finish the march with the sand bags. Of course we were the last ones in, and then this idiot starts giving us the riot act about how there wasn't room for anyone who can't keep up in S.F. He was going on and on hollering at us like we were some kind of scum. I looked over at the other guy who finished the march with his sandbag. He was a former collegiant wrestler who was tougher than nails, and then I looked back at this piece of shit who was giving us the riot act, and I really felt like smacking him one, but there was only a couple weeks left of training, so I just glared at him. I wanted to finish and not get kicked out. I never did like harassment much, but I guess it was all part of the game......Steve1

Does stirring chocolate milk vigorously count?

No, but if you hold it still while jumping up and down.. that counts!
Best to use a capped bottle not a glass... :D:ph34r:

Well, you could have said *that* a bit earlier.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

1 -1 1/2 hours of hand to hand combatives or knife fighting.

The knife fighting practice sounds cool. We didn't get any training in this, but we did get some hand to hand in phase 1 at camp McKall.

One of the guys we trained with should have had some training in common sense. He tried to outfight a guy with a knife and got carved up really bad. He finally escaped by doing what he should have done to start with, by outrunning this guy. This happened outside a bar near Fayateville. Too bad he wasn't packing a heater with him at the time. We used to call Fayateville, FayateNam. I hope things have changed there now. I'd love to come back there some day to visit.......Steve1