TB99

Red and White Wine

Shiraz is a relative new red - from Australia, and VERY good!

its actually a new fad, not a new grape. It wasnt very popular wine in France where the Cirah grape originates.

I quite like it.

Drank the last Lalande Pomerol we brought back home last week. mmmmm, yummie.

I do enjoy Riojas too.

And I have yet to find an CA wine I like.... takes all tastes I guess!
Remster

I have to second CrazyIvan, California wines are the best! My favorite is the Cabernet Savignon from Gallo of Sonoma, their Chardonnay is also excellent, however Chardonnay doesn't like me back... (very unfortunate)
But when it comes to Pinot Grigio it's Italy, baby! Try the one called Kris!

Enjoy!

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

its actually a new fad, not a new grape. It wasnt very popular wine in France where the Cirah grape originates

I think the point needs to be made that it is not enough to just look at White/Red and grape. You really need to look at country and region. I have lived in Europe and now in Australia and have tasted a few Californian wines. A red like Shiraz can be completely different depending on where it is grown, e.g. France or Australia. (and for this one there is a big difference for the average Shiraz)

When looking at wine / grape variety you have to look at:

- Soil type
- Climate
- wine making methods (includes if wine is matured in tanks or barrel and if in barrel if it is French or American oak)

these conditions vary from country to country and within countries region to region. On the other hand I know a few wine makers down here who have created wines that tasted like their "cousins" in a different country (e.g. my favorite Pinot Noir from the Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne tastes very much like a Burgundy Pinot Noir - but that is due to the wine makers skills and intentions).

So when discussing which type of wine to recommend I would suggest to include region and probably even brand. Also, the price range is important. A $10 Australian Shiraz from South Australia is VERY different from a $80 Shiraz from the same region.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

YES ... that is exaclty what I'm looking for, Mikkey!!! I'd love to hear more of the brand, country, region of these awesome wines! So far I hear a lot about Shiraz, Chianti, and Pinot Noir (for reds) and Pinot Grigio has been mentioned a few times for white. Now where do you suggest I get my Australian Shiraz from??

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

Just curious as to people's favorite red and white wines! I've been searching for mine, buying all different types, and haven't gotten a favorite yet!! If someone knows any really good red and whites, please share so I may experience them!! Thanks!:S

I know it's a little off topic, but.... just couldn't resist.

Anyone ever tried a good ole Taylor Fladgate 10 years Port wine?

Simply delicious!:P

Just ask Jacques, who jumps at Lake Wales. I'm sure he remembers:D:D

Well.... after all, i'm not sure he remembers :D:D

Yves.

2000 was a great year for shiraz grapes! If you can find 2000 Rosemount, you can't go wrong. Anything else will be better from 2000 than later but Rosemount is wonderful.

Another I've discovered is Kirralah - it's a co-op of Rosemount and Mondavi vineyards and is beautiful. It's spicy with an incredibly smooth finish - great for Thai, Indian or Med spicy food.

Seriously, I live for Shiraz (and Syrah).

Oh right, and skydiving. ;)

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

I'd love to hear more of the brand, country, region of these awesome wines! So far I hear a lot about Shiraz, Chianti, and Pinot Noir (for reds) and Pinot Grigio has been mentioned a few times for white. Now where do you suggest I get my Australian Shiraz from??

:P Why do you think they sell all these expensive wine books? Man where do you start....

OK - If you like Australian Shiraz: You normally do not go wrong with Shiraz from South Australia. Shiraz can age very well but there is a close relationship between price and quality. Young Shiraz is "full on" and good with Steaks and the like, if you cellar it gets more soft and complex (dont try it with "cheap" ones, they are made to drink "now").

But again this is such a wide issue. There are a few good internet resources. For Australian Wine I can recommend this site. You can research regions and individual brands:

http://www.winepros.com.au/jsp/cda/home.jsp
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

Some of my current Favorites are :

99 Bernardus Marinus (Bordeaux style blend of Cabernet Sauvignot, Merlot, Cab Franc, and Petit erdot.) Their Bien Nacido Pinot Noir is really tasty as well.

00 McDowell Port is a fantastic young port out of Ukiah

De Rose Zinfandel

Kendall Jackson Great Estates Chardonnay, Arroyo Seco as well at the Sonoma Coast Version.

And last but not least:

Joseph-Phelps Eisrebe. It's a Late Harvest desert wine made from a sheurebe grape that is a cross between a slyvaner and a reisling. Some years the wine is mixed with muscat as well. Sweet, Fruity, with a pleasant citric flavor which makes it refreshing as well as cutting some of the sugar.
T.S.S # 5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To dream great dreams is itself an act of daring. -Eric Shipton & Bill Tilman

I love Kendall Jackson Chardonnay, and their Merlot is pretty good, too:) I have a bunch of bottles along the top of my kitchen cabinets, my gf and I rate them in stars, i'll take a look and see if I can get some off the list for ya:)

Angela.

Which ones do you have? I've been working as a chemist for them for a couple of years. Keep a look out next year for some new red wines (Merlot and Zin specifically) comming out of the Monterey and Arroyo Seco vinyards! We have some very small lots that will knock your socks off. As soon as they decide on what to call them I'll try and let you know.
T.S.S # 5
To dream great dreams is itself an act of daring. -Eric Shipton & Bill Tilman

Rosenblum Cellars Zinfandel.
I am also a fan of just about every red wine of Greg Norman's that I have ever tasted.

Ok...this is going to sound snooty....but I have two firm beliefs about wine.
1. White Zin is for people who don't really like wine.
2. Shiraz is for people who don't really like red wine.

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

Pino Gris/Grigo for a white that is fairly middle in the dry/sweet category, I have yet to find a bad bottle. Washington State makes some great whites, as Does Oregon (Willamette Valley).

Be careful with Pino Noir, I've had VERY good and also VERY, VERY BAAAAD. One I could barely drink ended up in a red sauce, which was all it was good for.

If you are looking for a sweet wine, try a german reisling.

If you are looking for a REALLY sweet dessert wine, try German eiswein (pricey, but worth it), but only about a 3 oz pour after dinner. More is too much.

Messina Hof!

If you've never heard of it, you're missing out! Its a winery from here in Texas (actually from about 100ft off the end of the airport where SD Aggieland is).

Their Merlot is as good as the stuff from Napa Valley, IMHO and some of their other wines are great too.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

question, what are you trying to acheive? Are you trying to find a good wine to drink while socializing or are you looking for something to have with food? Are you looking to spend $100 on a killer wine or do you want something that's damn good for $15 bucks? I can help you with both. First off, if you're looking for something that will blow the panties off your date then get some $20 Champagne and go for it. If you're looking for something super classy you could go with something like (red)burgundy from France. Burgundy, true burgundy is made from the Pinot Noir grape and is probably the most deliciously aromatic of all the wines. (just my opinion? Maybe) The only problem with good burgundy is that it's going to be very expensive. So is Bordeaux. Also from France, made with any blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petite Verdot, Malbec and Cabernet Franc (and which happens to be my favorite) A lovely old 1982 bordeaux, first growth is gonna end up costing you about as much as a decent used canopy though and most people won't have the knowledge or ability to be able to appreciate or understand it. So then what do you have? Well you have many other wines that are far closer to the average human price range. There's Rhone, Australia, Argentina, Alsace, Chile, Africa, California, etc.

Good value? I'd say Argentina. There's some really awesome wine from Argentina.. Am I partial? Yes. But somehow I've managed to empty an awesome bottle of Argentinian cab and I'm too drunk to remember what I was talking about so blah......

pm me if you want some really great recommendations that won't cost you a jump ticket :)

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Poor us in Oz - totally spoilt with choice. I reckon the best whites are the Clare Valley Rieslings from South Oz. The best Muscat has to be just about any Mick Morris brew from Rutherglen in Victoria. Port ? Chateu Tahbilk in central Vic or Brown Brothers also in Vic. Reds, where to start. Chateu Tahbilk has some shiraz they planted in 1862 that somehow managed to escape the root-rot (phylo-something I think) and the wine produced from them is brilliant but it needs to be at least 15 years old - 20 is better if you can keep your hands off it for that long. I couldn't.:(:( Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz is a damn good drop too...:)
Ooroo
Mark F...

So when discussing which type of wine to recommend I would suggest to include region and probably even brand. Also, the price range is important. A $10 Australian Shiraz from South Australia is VERY different from a $80 Shiraz from the same region.

I have to crow about it....:)
For my 21st birthday I was given, by my brother, a bottle of 1969 Grange Hermitage which I somehow managed to cellar well AND keep my hands off until my 50th birthday earlier this year.

Best bottle of grog I ever had and I only had to share it with two other people and they only had a small glass each. Current price for that vintage, IF you can find it, is around 6 or 7 hundred bucks Oz. My brother paid $17.50 Oz for it - bastard shoulda got a dozen...:)
Ooroo
Mark F...

I had a lovely Cotes du Rhone last night (I think I spelled that corectly), which is great for red wine lovers since it breaks the 'rules' on what you can pair it with. It's light with a touch of fruit that makes it great with chicken and pork. Not sure about fish...

I can't remember the label though- it was orange and yellow.

Shiraz is more substantial- a bit heavier on the tannins and spicier, too. I like Rosemount Estates, personally, but I haven't met a Shiraz I haven't liked. Make sure you pair it with a heartier, flavorful meal, or it could overwhelm the food. Any decent liquor store or upscale grocery store should carry it.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

depends on which kind of wine you prefer... come over to europe and have some tries, then fly to south africa, their wine rocks...
i'm not really into reds... my favourite white is called Paradidou (comes from the Domaine du Paradis) of Roger Burgdorfer. It's a wine from Geneva, and it's a specially sweet wine. Actually i like all his wines www.domaine-du-paradis.ch
He is the godfather of my ex girlfriend, but I still like what he does ;)
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

hi~ i just know a little about red wines...so here goes my two top choices::::

BV (Beaulieu Vineyards)
California Napa Valley
Merlot or Cab.
my favorite**:P

BOLLA
Italian wine
Shiraz or Merlot/Cab.
inexpensive and tasty**

if you want to spend Big ~ 1997 was a GREAT year for any red wine on the west coast ~ preferrably Napa Valley** B|

i hope you find your wine of choice 'k'. :)

~ meL* Pink Mafia / Tunnel Mafia Sister