sssbc99

Drinking Water?

I usually drink about 2-3 liters of water per day.

I have heard lots about how much you should drink but I want to know:

1. How much do you drink per day? And

2. What do you know about negative effects of drinking too much water?

Just curious. Thanks.

It is possible to drink so much water that your brain will swell and you'll die.

I'll admit, this is a massive amount of water, but it has happened, for instance, to Marines following orders to keep drinking water to remain hydrated.

http://www.mercola.com/2002/jul/20/water.htm

http://www.courier-journal.com/features/health/2003/06/hf-front-water0605-10300.html
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You'd probably throw up before you could overhydrate. In less extreme cases, I've seen army medics give too many bags of fluid to someone and send him back out to throw up and shake all night. He lived though....

8 glasses, 2 liters, a day is recommended. More if you're active. You can get by on 1 liter if you're a sloth and sit still all day. I do like 6 glasses a day mostly in the form of coffee. Bad me. I run too...this may be why my kidneys are so upset. Scuze me, I need to go get water.

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....

1. How much do you drink per day? And

I drink lots of water. only carbonated water, though (but without flavor or sugar - I think it's called "bitter" in the USA) - about 3 liters a day.

Only side effect I ever heard of is when you drink lots of water during exercise, it can happen that your body gets "undersalted". But even that might be a legend.

Chronistin
(Home @ http://www.fallschirmspringer.net/)

I have no set goal per day.

I think it's a huge mistake to attempt to make it one amount that will fit all occasions.

During my 9 to 5, monday through friday, cubical internment, I drink enough to give me an excuse to stretch my legs often enough that I don't die of blood clots.

At other times, when working in the field, I drink an appropriate amount so that my body will function properly.

At the drop zone I try to drink about a half liter between each load (or about 1 per hour), but that's also dependent on field conditions; heat, exertion, et al.
quade -

Do a search for Hyponatremia. This has become a big problem with smallish, female marathoners in particular. They take on much more water than they need and crater. A couple have died in the past few years - see June issue of Runners world (I think that was the issue anyway).

Myself, I have a big liter bottle I take a swig from every now and then and usually end up refilling it about 3-4 times a day depending on my activity level. Also depends on what I see on my potty breaks ;)
Scars remind us that the past is real

Another thing that i heard is that some of the purifying additives that certain drinking waters use are possible cancer causing agents. Is there any truth to this?

Almost everything including oxygen causes cancer so you need to be a little skeptical of fright-journalism sometimes.

On the other hand, water can cause cancer for any one of a number of reasons, but probably the least of which is the method of purification. Inadequate purification, now that's another matter altogether.

I'd be more worried, if I was worried at all (and I'm not), about where the water was sourced from and how it was transported rather than the purification methods.
quade -

ech, water:P

I don't drink water, just doesn't have enough flavor. I drink lots of juice, tho. Grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, orange juice, apple juice, etc. Plus, i'm a big sportsdrink fan. Not to mention the amount of wine and beer I consume on weekends. :D

Didn't know until now that drinking too much water had negative effects. Glad I don't follow that trend. :)

Angela.

Before I started getting all health wise (hitting 275lbs will to that to you), I don't remember drinking water at all. The only thing I drank was soda and the rare sports drink or juice. Sometimes I would go a day or two without much to drink at all, other than a can of pop.

Now, I don't drink pop at all, I drink a ton of water and the occasional 100% juice.

1. on work days, 1/2 - 1 gallon of water (I have a quart-sized cup at work). At home, less, because it's more hassle.

2. Until Quade's reference, the main effect I've had was having to pee a lot and excuse myself frequently.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I usually drink at least 3 liters per day, mostly in the evenings. Aside from coffee, I'm pretty much on a water wagon all the time. Juice too...a serving a day...er...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I drink water all day long at work when I'm sitting on my ass. I drink at least 1 litre in the morning before work, but I spike it with lemon juice and splenda cause my tummy doesnt like water first thing in the am.
If you're doing a lot of activity, too much water can give you cramps and screw up your electrolytes. Its good to throw some gatorade or something (no soda or coffee) in the mix.
Interesting articles Quade posted.. I knew that too much water can make you sick, but never knew it could kill ya!

ps- this may be a diet myth but spiking your water with a few tablespoons of lemon juice is supposed to keep you from retaining water.

... I don't remember drinking water at all. The only thing I drank was soda and the rare sports drink...

Yikes...soda is just "liquid candy". It's yummy every once in a while.

I drink about 9-10 eight ounce glasses of H2O per day (more depending on the climate - Summer desert heat)

I use the Sports Institute formula for water intake:

1/2 oz. H2O per pound of body weight (not so active people)

2/3 oz. H2O per pound of body weight (athletes)

If you're not a big fan of plain water...try adding paper thin slices of lemon and cucumbers (skin and all) to a pitcher of ice cold water...very refreshing after a good yoga workout.

g

Yikes...soda is just "liquid candy". It's yummy every once in a while.

I know, I didn't think much of it back then...obviously. Yes all soda is, is syrup diluted with carbonated water...basically. Tastes good but is SOOOOOO bad...bad bad bad bad bad. Which is why it's totally cut off for me.

How much is 125oz in gallons?