billvon

Now this makes me sad

From Jennifer Graham of the National Review:
-------------------------------------------------------
A couple of years ago, the husband and I were eating out — something you don't do often with four kids under 10 — when he lowered his voice and gestured for me to look at the next table. I did so, expecting to find something peculiar, such as Karl Rove conspiring with Elvis.

What I saw: A young family of five — father, mother, three young children, well-dressed, well-behaved, enjoying their night out, too. Except for the well-behaved children — mythical creatures with which we have no personal experience with — the family was unremarkable.

But they were black. And my husband whispered that in a nation where 70 percent of black children are born into homes without fathers, it was great to see a picture-perfect black family dining together. "I almost want to go give the guy a high five," he said, somewhat sheepishly.
-----------------------------------------------------

"Hey - look - blacks! And they're not even in jail or on crack! Quick, honey, get a picture of me and the little kid. The folks back in Whitesville will be so impressed!"

I would like to believe that people like this don't still exist, but I suppose that's asking too much - that there will come a day when well-behaved children will be more noticeable than what color the people at the table next to you are.

That is sad.

I would like to believe that people like this don't still exist, but I suppose that's asking too much - that there will come a day when well-behaved children will be more noticeable than what color the people at the table next to you are.

Unfortunately, I think that might happen right about the same time that Hell has to have winter coats delivered.[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Bill, I wonder just how much time you have spent in the African-American inner city.

Any statistical anomaly is worth remarking. I get "You've been married to your first wife for 17 years? No shit!" all the time.

Why are racial anomalies off-limits? I eat crap on this forum all the time for my religious and cultural beliefs. Why people are surprised that a guy with my background embraces diversity so enthusiastically constantly, well doesn't surprise me, but does brace me. People are so willing to stereotype me and mine without getting to know us.

So this person sees a nuclear black family, which is statistically an anomaly, and remarks on it. You sneeringly condemn them for expressing their opinion and shut off any possibility of dialogue. What's wrong with talking about the fact of the demise of the nuclear black family in America?

What should be their punishment, thought policeman?

And as an aside, my children don't know the words for the different races, they describe other children as being tan, light brown, dark brown, yellow-haired, etc. The nature of my community is such that my kids expect all black families to be like the black families in my Parish, married with children. But when they learn in sociology that only 30% of African American children are born into a home where the father is present, not necessarily married, but simply present, I do not want them exposed to the intolerance you are expressing if they want to discuss the issue.

"Hey Dad, you know, looking at that family, just like ours demographically, I'll betcha, you'd never suspect the statistics of that happening were so grim"

But I seriously doubt you were reading the National Review with an open mind either.

your white guilt is showing bill.

what is really sad is when people fear making ANY kind of remark because it might be construed as an expression of an 'ism', latent or otherwise.

do you know if jennifer and/or her husband are white? would it change your perception of this statement if one or both are black? it sounds to me like it would fall under your radar if so.

now that is sad.
namaste, motherfucker.

well put, deuce; i can't imagine what my childhood would have been like without my father around...the truly sad aspect is that young people with no guidance sometimes make permanent mistakes before they can learn the life lessons that parents are supposed to teach on their own.

Black or white or (ftfhoi) green - seeing a family with more than one well behaved kid IS a remarkable exception nowadays.

How comes it's so easy to communicate with one child but almost impossible as soon as there are more than two?

Chronistin
(Home @ http://www.fallschirmspringer.net/)

I did not intend to "attack" BillVon's post. In my little world there is nothing at all unusual about families of whatever ethnicities with well-behaved children. That's the whole point of my lifestyle.

The point will come when the bubble will burst for my kids. "Yes, hon, more than half of all folks who get married end up getting divorced". So we look across the restaurant at a single mom with kids eating and maybe we discuss that statistic and what it means to them.

Yeah, look at the black family. What to do, if anything.

Nobody has any trouble encouraging me to look at my church and consider what to do about it, if anything.

It's just the knee-jerk condesencion that gets me.

Edited to add link:

I looked up the article in total, it's here: http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/jgraham200310060900.asp

Bill this is beneath you. You must be tired or something. The person in question was HAPPY to see a successful black family having a nice night out and you slam the hell out of him. He was noting a statistical anamoly and was apparently HAPPY that this family was staying together in spite of the statistics. There is nothing racially prejudiced about noting something anamolous due to well documented statistics.

It saddens me that anyone cares what anyone else's race is too, but there was absolutely no malice in that guy's observation whatsoever (not that lack of malice excuse either racism, bigotry, or racial prejudice - I can detect neither of these from the context of the quote you presented). For true comments full of malice. hatred, and racism refer to Julian Bond or Kweise Mfune's comments about the Republican party or Judges Pickering or Bork. Truly disgusting.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

JP, I am without words.

If we should ever meet, please remind me to buy a photo slot or beer for you.

*applause*

A truly impressive post.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I guess I'm confussed ...all bill did was post an article that someone else wrote...I dont think hes condoning it !! He's just stating a poin that people out there are looking at color/race other than quality...Please someone explain this to me as why everyones coming dwnon bill..he even said

Iam I missingsome thing here

(confused)
jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

With apologies to anyone who buys into the artificial concept of 'race:'

I eat crap on this forum all the time for my religious and cultural beliefs....People are so willing to stereotype me and mine without getting to know us.

D'oh! The typical response of an angry black man. ;)

I think Bill was just disappointed that the family wasn't outdoors, singing and eating watermelon as they are wont to do when alfresco.:)
AMDG

Add to the context this comment directly before the paragraph you cited:

"Hey - look - blacks! And they're not even in jail or on crack! Quick, honey, get a picture of me and the little kid. The folks back in Whitesville will be so impressed!"

Read the article that JP posted the link for above. The article has little to do with "Lookit there -- Blacks!" and more to do with the final paragraph of the article, I'll quote:

No big deal. Buried in this statement, rife with irony, is the truth: America does want to see blacks succeed. America wants to see Hispanics succeed. America wants to see Asians and Indians and Iraqis succeed. America — God bless her — even wants to see white males succeed. That's who we are. That's our core. May it always be no big deal.

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I think Bill was just disappointed that the family wasn't outdoors, singing and eating watermelon as they are wont to do when alfresco.:)

Dude, that's not cool. I hope that's sarcastic, but even then that is not cool. That's the anti-thesis of everything Bill is.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

...I think Bill was just disappointed that the family wasn't outdoors, singing and eating watermelon as they are wont to do when alfresco.:)

You don't know what Bill was thinking...uncool communication style. Ask if you want to know what someone else is thinking.

g