bluelip

Other 'abnormal' sports

I've seen several other threads discussing what sports you enjoy. Haven't seen many polls though. What else do you do on your down time?

We've all seen the hacky scak/frisbee/catch at the dz.... Anyone else spend serious time w/ a sport outside of flying?

Mike Coles
'bluelip'

/*
Mike Coles 'bluelip'
*/

Before skydiving my "sport" was a form of martial arts, Chen Style Tai Chi which is a very old style and a combat form. I basically dropped it like a rock after starting skydiving.

I also used to be a pretty freekin' active pilot; flight instructor and acro. Since skydiving I've hardly ever been "current" -- right now I'm not.

Skydiving is pretty engrossing, addictive and -can- take over your life.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Anything cross-over between the two disciplines? Before I jumped, I was a brute. All American Redneck!!! Budweiser all the way.... Bale stackinjg, wrench turning, catle feeding/herding, jeep driving...... the finesse takes some getting used to B|

/*
Mike Coles 'bluelip'
*/

I used to be a pretty avid rock climber before skydiving and used to play paintball a lot before that. But now my climbing gear has been sitting in my closet for about 2 months and my paintball guns have been sitting there for about 1.5 years... I do wakeboard these days though when I'm not jumping.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Up here in at the DZ where I jump we are only open for 6 months of the year which makes my second love very accessable to me.

The reason I started boarding was to escape the boredom usually associated with winter up here and have some fun with friends. I am glad to say that I will be continuing this little tradition this year.

Bring the POW!

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte

I used to climb a bit when I was younger.. Alpine preferred. Now when I am not skydiving.. I still have my boats...

Whitewater sailing across the Columbia River Bar.. in a 22' sloop is a REALLLY good adrenaline rush on most days:P

Jeanne

Tae Kwon Do (duuuuhhhhh:P) - I still make it 3-4 times a week. Do a lot of point-sparring too (getting better as I'm not getting my ass kicked as much as I used to). It's funny to see us older "gentlemen" with creaking joints next to the teenagers trying to be as graceful/fast/coordinated as them... we just refuse to admit we're not 20 any more.... and save the hobbeling and groaning for when we get home and the younkie's aren't looking;).

Also love to snowboard (but still a newbie at that too).

- Jeff

"That's not flying, it's falling with style."

I was a rockclimbing, spelunking, whitewater rafting, kayacking fool before I took up skydiving.

The rock gear is sitting sad in the closet (not many rocks in FL or NJ), the white water raft has holes from the mice that nested in it this past winter, the kayack has a family of squirrels living in it and I've only been back to the caves in VT a couple of times since moving away.

Skydiving just kind of sneaks in and takes control of your life.

I used to be in Tae Kwon Do. Took it for almost 4 years, even got to 1st Gup Brown, haven't touched it since I started jumping. Used to be a hard core Mt. Biker and paintballing, but have barely done either since I started jumping. My $1000 mt. bike got stolen and my tricked out Spyder is collecting dust at my parent's house.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Started out riding /racing motocross. Got into Go karts. Snowskiing, Snorkeling and Spear fishing, turned into Scuba. Mt. biking, paintball, boating.
Sportbikes.
Since skydiving 3 years ago I only ride the sportbike.
Still have 3 paint guns, all the motocross gear (no bike) 4 scuba tanks, 3 spear guns and all the scuba gear. 1 Mt bike in the bedroom.
Oh don't forget the Camping gear going to waste.
Not to mention I have a California style '63 V W bug with an 1835 engine sitting in a garage since 1997 collecting dust.

Nick D

The key to Immortality is- first living a life worth remembering”

I have One other "abnormal" sport. That's caving. Crawling around underground for hours upon hours just for the heck of it. It rocks (figurativly and literally). When I was going through the IAF program at the ranch, there'd be tons of times where i would jump in the morning, then go thousands of feet underground in the afternoon. An odd combination, but it's still great. Ironicly one of my caving friends got me into skydiving, he dropped out, but I'm glad i finished. I've even taking some skydivers underground. It's just my other obsession:)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I used to be a rugger. Of course, that was 50 pounds of flabby fat ago... I miss it a lot. My ACL doesn't miss it, though...

I'm also waiting for the snow to fall so I can hit the slopes. That is,of course, assuming that I have the money for it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Ride my bicycle to the DZ every day.
Do a little kayaking.
Did Tae Box until an old knee injury returned. It is almost healed enough for me to resume Tae Box.
Used to run corss-country.
Used to cross-country ski
Used to lift weights
Used to swim laps
Used to hike the Long Trail in Vermont and the Sentier de L'Estrie in Quebec
Used to walk up mountains
Used to compete in pistol shooting
etc.

Anything cross-over between the two disciplines?

I think that anything that takes mental concentration and physical coordination like both flying and martial arts has great cross-over benefits to skydiving.

While physical coordination is important, I personally think the mental aspects of skydiving are more important.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver