jfields

Legalize Drugs?

In another thread, Skybytch said,

Isn't about time for another legalize drugs argument.

So here ya go.

I say yes to some, no to others. How is that for vague?

From past debates relating to gun control, I know PhillyKev is in favor of legalizing.

Who else?

I really don't care anymore. I stopped using too and if they were legal I still probably wouldn't have any interest anymore. Now if they started prohibition again, I would go Ballistic!!!

I think when Jesus said "love your enemy" he probably meant don't kill them.

I agree with you Justin.

I don't think I'd approve of drugs like coke and herion being legalized. However, I'm all in favor of the legalization of marijuana...(especially the kind that 's really sticky and smells like a fresh christmas tree ;););))

B~

Legalize all of 'em. Tax 'em just like alcohol and nicotine.

Agreed! Today's illegal drugs were legal before 1914. Cocaine was even found in the original Coca-Cola recipe. Americans had few problems with cocaine, opium, heroin or marijuana. Drugs were inexpensive; crime was low. Most users handled their drug of choice and lived normal, productive lives. Addicts out of control were a tiny minority.

Today's war on drugs is a re-run of Prohibition. Approximately 40 million Americans are occasional, peaceful users of some illegal drug who are no threat to anyone. They are not going to stop. The laws don't, and can't, stop drug use.

ok.... not going to go too deep.... I'm not good at starting fights :P

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

legalize the stuff thats relatively safe/not addictive, such as pot and LSD.

Personally, I'd rather deal with someone who's high than someone who's drunk.

I don't use drugs, and I don't even drink very often, but I don't believe in taking away other's abilities to make their own choices about such things.

In another thread, Skybytch said,

Isn't about time for another legalize drugs argument.

So here ya go.

I say yes to some, no to others. How is that for vague?

From past debates relating to gun control, I know PhillyKev is in favor of legalizing.

Who else?

I say yes to all of them even the most hardcore, crack, heroin, freebase, you name it. If people are so stupid that they feel the need to inflict this harm are their bodies then I am total support of their right to do so. However, I am also in support of DWI laws applying to them and employers test them for drugs and having every right to discriminate when hiring based on drug use.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

If people are so stupid that they feel the need to inflict this harm are their bodies then I am total support of their right to do so.

Of course skydiving and BASE jumping should be legal. If people are so stupid that they feel the need to inflict this harm are their bodies then I am total support of their right to do so.

A plan to conduct a two-year scientific experiment in giving free heroin to a select group of addicts has people buzzing with dismay this week in the Downtown Eastside, Vancouver B.C. Canada

Vancouver is home to a safe-injection site, it has been the subject of more publicity, more consultation and more debate than any initiative the city has undertaken in recent years.

The object of the trial is to see if medically prescribed heroin serves to preserve addicts' health and quality of life better than prescribed methadone.

In Europe, where such trials have been conducted, researchers found that addicts medicated with heroin experienced less homelessness and greater job stability than those receiving methadone.

All in all, then, the experiment seems worthwhile. And it fits in neatly with the harm reduction aspect of Vancouver's four pillar approach to curing the drug ills that plague the city. Although safe-injection sites have grabbed the headlines, heroin maintenance for hard-core addicts is a viable form of harm reduction in that it ensures they receive a safe supply of the drug.

The Downtown Eastside is already home to many drug users, social agencies and poor people, and the experiment will host up to 30 users an hour. Although the subjects in the experiment will be culled from those living in the Downtown Eastside, the trial will concentrate addicts in one small area.

The trial will be conducted in a building one block from an elementary school, half a block from a daycare and next door to a recently opened building dedicated to alcohol- and drug-free housing. Surely the last thing those trying to go straight need is to be surrounded by users day and night.

According to officials, federal government guidelines prohibit those involved in the experiment from speaking about it publicly. That might explain why we've heard so little about the trial, but an explanation is not a justification.

In contrast, officials running the heroin experiment seem to have made their decisions by fiat, without the participation of nearby residents and businesses.

Swiss and Dutch experiments have shown that those given heroin were arrested less, had a higher chance of holding down a job, and went through fewer bouts of homelessness.

The trial, called the North American Opiate Medication Initiative or NAOMI, is to be conducted in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto simultaneously with 470 subjects in total. In Vancouver, 158 users would be selected for the experiment, with 70 getting methadone and 88 getting heroin.

According to the explanatory letter that went out to the community, only the selected clients will come to the clinic, visiting up to three times a day during its 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. opening hours.

The experiment has already received $8.1 million from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research and all three study sites received final approval from the ethics review boards in June 2002, but it has been stalled in other regulatory approvals processes. As well, it still needs about another $2 million to cover all the costs of the pilot.

Recent studies have estimated there are 60,000 to 100,000 heroin users in Canada, with 500 to 1,000 overdose deaths a year among them. More than half have acute health problems, multiple mental-health problems, and no permanent housing. Two-thirds resort to illegal activities to earn money.

Although methadone was introduced to Canada in the 1960s as a substitute for heroin users trying to quit, only about a quarter of heroin users are in a methadone program at any time. Many people either refuse to enter a methadone program or try and drop out.

People going through the criminal justice system will be excluded, as will people whose medical or psychiatric conditions indicate they wouldn't be good subjects for heroin treatment.
Subjects will get paid for their research visits.

The project has been guided by an advisory committee that includes the RCMP, Vancouver police, College of Physicians and Surgeons, College of Pharmacists, the provincial and city governments, and the health authority.

Vancouver police spokeswoman Constable Sarah Bloor said police are supportive of the pilot project as part of the continuum of options for drug treatment. "It's a health initiative and we support health initiatives." "Where are the addicts now? This is 140 people who won't be injecting in the alleys."

© Copyright 2003 Vancouver Sun

SMiles;)

I say yes to all of them even the most hardcore, crack, heroin, freebase, you name it. If people are so stupid that they feel the need to inflict this harm are their bodies then I am total support of their right to do so. However, I am also in support of DWI laws applying to them and employers test them for drugs and having every right to discriminate when hiring based on drug use.

I agree - as far as employers testing and discriminating based on that.... as long as it was stated in the terms of employment, then yes - otherwise, no.

I've heard of many companies paying for employees to go through drug rehab - if the drugs were legal in the first place it may have kept that person from becoming a detremental member of the work force and prevented the company from spending money on the rehab, and perhaps help them gain a productive employee in the process.

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

I'm a good Libertarian - LEGALIZE all of them. When has prohibition EVER worked? Look what we got from the US Prohibition Era - TED KENNEDY!

JFK too, who was a fairly good guy, and Bobby as well, so maybe Teddy K's link to Prohibition isn't a good reason to be against it. Still, prohibition has never worked. Legalize it all and tax it.

There - a tax the Anvil is in favor of.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Legalize it all and tax it.

See, the only issue I have as a libertarian, and I have yet to find an acceptable answer is, which government 'program' would be in charge of it? The FDA? Shit... they can't keep track of the currently legal drugs, let alone adding to that. And I don't believe that this is something that could be left up to the private sector either - as we've seen with the drug companies (and consequent sky high drug prices) that that isn't working either.

Jennifer
Arianna Frances