kkeenan

Locating Lost Jumpers

Something I have thought about is a grid map of the DZ area. If a large aerial photo of the DZ area is lined off in a grid with numbered squares, it would be a great aid to communication...

Don't the folk at The Ranch have something like that they use for a game of "Bingo" of sorts... ???

:D:D:D

:)

In all seriousness though... my experience at a few different DZs is after a particularly hidious spot where folks are spread all over hell's half acre, manifest of the Load Organizer will do a head count to make sure everyone is back safe. Problem is, on those 90-some % good dives where the spot is good we tend not to count noses after every jump and from time to time someone goes missing... I've seen this happen... but fortunately it's always been the scenario where they just come walking back in awhile later a bit pissed that no one sent the truck to get them after they landed out or chased a cutaway or what not.

SPOT is great. After a wild night of partying you can track where you WERE.
-Or a push of the button will tell your designated driver where to pick you up.
-Or your significant other can track you on google earth.
-Or you can hide it in you kids car and track them.

I'm not very imaginative so I just use it for flights into the back country.

RobH

>Every phone can be tracked regardless of whether or not it has GPS.

Not easily or accurately. Depending on the phone you can get down to the sector and the rough distance, but that gives you a pretty big arc that can be several miles long. aGPS services can get you down to ten meters or so. (Most phones with aGPS enable it automatically when a 911 call is made.)

Something I have thought about is a grid map of the DZ area. If a large aerial photo of the DZ area is lined off in a grid with numbered squares, it would be a great aid to communication. If folks carried a small card with the same grid photo on it, they wo.

they used to have that in Empuriabrava jump planes 5 years ago. Signalling offlandings, cutaway gear etc...

Haven't seen them in a while though (maybe they are there, but haven't seen them in use)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Something I have thought about is a grid map of the DZ area. If a large aerial photo of the DZ area is lined off in a grid with numbered squares, it would be a great aid to communication...

Don't the folk at The Ranch have something like that they use for a game of "Bingo" of sorts... ???

:D:D:D

:)

In all seriousness though... my experience at a few different DZs is after a particularly hidious spot where folks are spread all over hell's half acre, manifest of the Load Organizer will do a head count to make sure everyone is back safe. Problem is, on those 90-some % good dives where the spot is good we tend not to count noses after every jump and from time to time someone goes missing... I've seen this happen... but fortunately it's always been the scenario where they just come walking back in awhile later a bit pissed that no one sent the truck to get them after they landed out or chased a cutaway or what not.

I know that bingo of which you speak....:S