jtval

why cant I turn off my computer?

has anyone had this problem? my computer will not shut down. I have to hit the big "PWR" button in order to shut down.

I know this is eventually gonna make my PC lock up and crash. but i checked my control panel and all the programs are the ones I need ( no spyware there):S

WTF? does any one know what might cause this? and/or how to fix it?
My photos

My Videos

you could have a bad power suply that is not reading the shutdown signal from the motherboard or well you could just be at the time when you have to install your os again... you are on what like install 20 now???lol.. hope ya get it figured out....

p.s. isn't it about time you got a new computer anyways..... bet a new one would be sweet compared to the one ya got now..... you could probly buy a new one if you stayed away from the dz for like 1 weekend amonth... hard or imposiblei know...lol...

That happens to my work pc all the time. I usally pull the
plug and let it do its scann then it will work for little bit a day or two then locks up and i have to do that again.

In the long run i think we both need new PCs>:(
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

What does your conputer do when you push the power button, does it hang at all?
What about replacing the power button?

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

my family's computer did that a while ago... it would freeze at the "shutting down computer" screen, and we would just yank the power cord.
I think windows was just doing its usual f*cked up stuff. Didn't notice anything strange because of it. later I had to replace the hard drive because it somehow became very badly corrupted. don't know if the 2 are related...

MB 3528, RB 1182

This could be your mother board dying. My last PC did that a few times before the MB dies and had to be replaced.
Another option is to reformat your HD and re-install everything..... that may help.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

In many cases it's spyware that causes the computer to hang during shutdown.
Spyware won't show up in control panel. If you haven't already downloaded and scanned your puter
with Adaware, I strongly recomend it.

If after scanning your system with Adaware (remember to run the web update) and scanning with an updated antivirus program, your system still won't shut down, it's most likely some of the programs your running.

Look at what programs is running in the startup folder in your start menu.
Also look in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->software->microsoft->windows->currentversion->run
Remove things you don't need (like RealTray, remind.exe).
If you're unsure if you need something, you could just edit the string and put REM at the begining of it.

You don't mention what os you run. XP, 2000, NT, win98, win95, win311, OS/2?

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

You guys are scaring me now. I have that problem with my computer every couple months. I guess i need to find some totally hot computer geek to come over and fix it for me.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

DOH!!

I hope my pc isnt dying. I probly wont buy a new one! LOL....hmmm Computer or camera helmet:S not much of a choice there.

Anyway Im running XP. I think I have a parasite on my computer but im not sure that would stop me from shutting down. til I can reformat, the big [RED]red[/RED] silver suggestive power off button is the fix, I guess:S
My photos

My Videos

You guys are scaring me now. I have that problem with my computer every couple months. I guess i need to find some totally hot computer geek to come over and fix it for me.

Why hello!
Not only an I good with computers, I cook, and put the seat down. B|

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

Press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds, that should do the trick in many cases. In most newer computer designs, the power button is a lot more of a suggestion than an actual switch. ;)

if I recall from the A+ cert. crap way back when it's 4 seconds with pretty much all modern motherboards. You can set options in your bios to make it act instantly though. Some will let you have a momentary press put the computer into sleep mode.

You didn't mention at what point the system gives up on trying to shut down.

-ignoring the request completely and returning to your desktop as though nothing happened often means a service is running that tells windows it shouldn't be force-quit. Ad-Aware will hopefully help this out.

-if it grays out the screen and starts to shutdown but hangs, it's a service that was pooly written that was trying to tell windows it shouldn't be force-quit, see above.

-if it gets past the desktop, and dies on anyone of the shutting down screens or at a black screen, then start thinking about running a windows update or checking for updated drivers for your hardware.

In many cases it's spyware that causes the computer to hang during shutdown.
Spyware won't show up in control panel. If you haven't already downloaded and scanned your puter
with Adaware, I strongly recomend it.

If after scanning your system with Adaware (remember to run the web update) and scanning with an updated antivirus program, your system still won't shut down, it's most likely some of the programs your running.

Look at what programs is running in the startup folder in your start menu.
Also look in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->software->microsoft->windows->currentversion->run
Remove things you don't need (like RealTray, remind.exe).
If you're unsure if you need something, you could just edit the string and put REM at the begining of it.

You don't mention what os you run. XP, 2000, NT, win98, win95, win311, OS/2?

I've learned that there are worms & viruses like Datom.3 and MSVXD32.DLL that are specifically made to attack file-sharing, and will hide themselves if you try to find them by running regedit. However, they can be defeated if you boot into Safe Mode and then hunt them down.

It took a couple of tries to get the bugs off my systems because I had file sharing turned on locally, so Datom.3 would just piggyback whenever I exchanged data between my PCs, and therefore the machines would just get contaminated again as soon as they joined the network. Annoying. >:(

And the crowbar signal wouldn't work to shut the machine off. That should have been my first tip that something was amiss - Linux powered off perfectly every time, so I knew it wasn't hardware.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."