gmanpilot

An Email from a Captain in Iraq

Being ever the cynic, I thought Bush's trip to Iraq was about votes, and it may have been, but I thought y'all might like to read the following email I got today.

An Email from a Captain in Iraq

We knew there was a dinner planned with Ambassador Bremer and LTG Sanchez. There were 600 seats available and all the units in the division were tasked with filling a few tables. Naturally, the 501st MI battalion got our table. Soldiers were grumbling about having to sit through another dog-and-pony show, so we had to pick soldiers to attend. I chose not to go.

But, about 1500 the G2, LTC Devan, came up to me and with a smile, asked me to come to dinner with him, to meet him in his office at 1600 and bring a
camera. I didn't really care about getting a picture with Sanchez or Bremer, but when the division's senior intelligence officer asks you to go, you go.
we were seated in the chow hall, fully decorated for Thanksgiving when aaaaallllll kinds of secret service guys showed up.

That was my first clue, because Bremer's been here before and his personal security detachment is not that big. Then BG Dempsey got up to speak, and he
welcomed ambassador Bremer and LTG Sanchez. Bremer thanked us all and pulled out a piece of paper as if to give a speech. He mentioned that the President had given him this thanksgiving speech to give to the troops. He then paused and said that the senior man present should be the one to give it. He then looked at Sanchez, who just smiled.

Bremer then said that we should probably get someone more senior to read the speech. Then, from behind the camouflage netting, the President of the United States came around. The mess hall actually erupted with hollering. Troops bounded to their feet with shocked smiles and just began cheering with all their hearts. The building actually shook. It was just unreal. I was absolutely stunned. Not only for the obvious, but also because I was
only two tables away from the podium. There he stood, less than thirty feet away from me! The cheering went on and on and on.

Soldiers were hollering, cheering, and a lot of them were crying. There was not a dry eye at my table. When he stepped up to the cheering, I could clearly see tears running down his cheeks. It was the most surreal moment I've had in years. Not since my wedding and Aaron being born. Here was this
man, our President, came all the way around the world, spending 17 hours on an airplane and landing in the most dangerous airport in the world, where a
plane was shot out of the sky not six days before.

Just to spend two hours with his troops. Only to get on a plane and spend another 17 hours flying back. It was a great moment, and I will never forget
it. He delivered his speech, which we all loved, when he looked right at me and held his eyes on me. Then he stepped down and was just mobbed by the
soldiers. He slowly worked his way all the way around the chow hall and shook every last hand extended. Every soldier who wanted a photo with the President got one. I made my way through the line, got dinner, and then wolfed it down as he was still working the room.

You could tell he was really enjoying himself. It wasn't just a photo opportunity. This man was actually enjoying himself! He worked his way over
the course of about 90 minutes towards my side of the room. Meanwhile, I took the opportunity to shake a few hands. I got a picture with Ambassador
Bremer, Talabani (acting Iraqi president) and Achmed Chalabi (another member of the ruling council) and Condaleeza Rice, who was there with him.

I felt like I was drunk. He was getting closer to my table so I went back over to my seat. As he passed and posed for photos, he looked me in the eye
and "How you doin', captain." I smiled and said "God bless you, sir." To which he responded "I'm proud of what you do, captain." Then moved on.

Awesome. I was questioned by someone about why the soldiers would be happy to stay another two months just because the President visited them. A few people couldn't understand how just a visit from the Commander-in-Chief would make people want to live in that miserable place over there right now. I explained the best I could about espri de corps and such, but essentially, it's like trying to explain to a whuffo why we skydive ... I hope this made sense?:S

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

do you know the actual person that wrote it

As to who wrote it I do not know. But the account of what happened minus the personal perspectives is accurate. The WHOLE story from how it started here in the states to there and back is really impressive and down right ballsy.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The reason I ask is that a few months ago there was a pretty big deal about letters home to newspapers. One PR guy was writting letters that, while based in fact, were being sent on behalf of specific soldiers to hometown newspapers signed by different soldiers which did not, if fact, write them.

I'm curious about this particular email because it really does smack of the same sort of PR campaign.

Read THIS STORY and decide for yourself if this email doesn't also sound fishy.

Also see THIS STORY
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Snopes says the events portrayed in the email are true (well maybe) but says nothing about the actual source of the email.

I think Snopes is maybe a little premature on this one.

My suspicions come from the fact that this is, "An Email from a Captain in Iraq". Not from any particular Captain that signed the email and could be tracked down to confirm or deny he wrote it but from a nameless "Captain".

This email now resides on several extreme right-wing web sites and the entire things just looks odd. Why isn't this signed?
quade -

Quade,

Take a deep west coast breath and give the man some credit.

I had the chance to meet GW in Springfield MO. and get a picture with him after we brought the American Flag into the airport for his arrival. This is a good man, a politician yes, but a good man.

Next thing you'll come up with is a phony turkey, right?

God Bless Him for his consideration of the Fighting Forces.

Blues GW!

J.E.
James 4:8

Take a deep west coast breath and give the man some credit.

Sorry, he may have done some things worthwhile, but I have about as much respect for his Iraq visit as I do for his carrier landing.

To my way of thinking, both were highly orchestrated stunts that actually took advantage of the troops rather than doing anything substantial. The photo of GW Bush holding the turkey was just as silly as the "Mission Accomplished" banner. In fact, the turkey wasn't even one served to the troops, but rather a food styled centerpiece brought in specifically for the event.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3294501.stm

Oh, and were did the "No sir. It's a Gulfstream" story come from?

Again, very clever gorilla marketing -- to my eyes at least.
quade -

because I was
only two tables away from the podium

Damn! He was so close, he could have ran upto him and kicked the tosser in the nuts!

Please do not refer to our President as a "tosser" and talk about kicking him in the nuts. No man should ever even think about kicking another man in the nuts. I doubt he would pay you any disrespect, even if he thought you were a "tosser".

What the hell is a tosser?

>To my way of thinking, both were highly orchestrated stunts that
> actually took advantage of the troops rather than doing anything
> substantial.

While I think that's largely true, I think that some of the servicepeople also appreciated his visits. (I say "some" because the the one skydiver I know on the Lincoln said "Eh, it was OK, nothing special" when I asked him whether he appreciated it or not.) And given that, at least his visit had some good effect. Not to Paul, but to a lot of other servicepeople.

If respect for the office is present, then this trivial name calling would not exist.

I believe you would change your tune in a face to face with him.

That would make you the poser, would it not?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Geeeeez. Is there ONE SINGLE (American) MODERATOR on this site that likes G.W. Bush?

I mean, geez. You can put up with some of it some of the time, but the constant bashing by the select few gets tiring, very quickly.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

>Is there ONE SINGLE (American) MODERATOR on this site that likes
>G.W. Bush?

Scott seems to like him - at least, he doesn't dislike him.

>You can put up with some of it some of the time, but the constant
>bashing by the select few gets tiring, very quickly.

Fortunately you can choose to not read the threads if you so choose, an option we don't really have.

If respect for the office is present, then this trivial name calling would not exist.

I believe you would change your tune in a face to face with him.

I met him when he was Governor of Texas. I was 22 years old, and played a significant role in securing 10 million dollars in investments/venture capital for the firm I worked for. My boss gave a speech on large frame network security at a breakfast at the Governors mansion. Both Governor Bush and President Bush were present, and I met them both face to face.
I dont expect to change your political views. I felt the same way about Clinton as you do about Bush, but I respected him as the leader of our country and was thankful that it was a not a permanent situation. Do you think the Iraquis ever believed that they would see the day where they did NOT live in fear of Saddam Hussein's regime? I'm thankful that I have never had to fear our leaders.. regardless of what I thought of them personally or politically.

You know.. we are all very lucky to be Americans. We enjoy freedoms that peple in other parts of the world cant even imagine. How about laying off the piddly shit and saying.. yeah this isnt so bad after all..