FreeflyGoat

Why do you pack reserves?

I enjoy having my ticket so I can pack for myself and enjoy having greater knowledge of my gear. But, I really don't like packing. Although I'll (usually) pack for my friends if they ask me (if they own a Mirage or Vector). I'm interested to see others motivation for keeping their riggers ticket.

I do it because people need it :)
I actually prefer the inspection+repair+sewing part of rigging. Packing square reserves is OK. Packing rounds is "better", plus I get to see more "exotic" containers.

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

A Parachute Rigger is not a job, but a vocation.

You must give your 110% on each packing, repair, or explanation to a jumper who has asked you, because this particular Person´s life relies on your proper job.

Other persons´s lifes are a great responsability, and the best payment is that a jumper who had a malfunction, and activated his/her reserve, packed by You, is still alive. Any amount of money can make disappear the responsability of a death caused by a negligent job.

Make your best, always make time to learn, and give proper, and safe education... ...Others depends of You!
Juan Fraile-Nuez
Military Parachute Rigger (ret.)
Spain, Europe

You must give your 110% on each packing, repair, or explanation to a jumper who has asked you, because this particular Person´s life relies on your proper job.

Other persons´s lifes are a great responsability, and the best payment is that a jumper who had a malfunction, and activated his/her reserve, packed by You, is still alive. Any amount of money can make disappear the responsability of a death caused by a negligent job.

Make your best, always make time to learn, and give proper, and safe education... ...Others depends of You!

+1

and

One of my saves was

me:)
the real scarry part is I packed the main mal that gave me the oportunity to test one of my own reserve pack jobs:$
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I guess the best answer for me is that its just in my blood. I was a firefighter/paramedic for 25 years and when I retired I wanted to do something to help save others. That may sound kind of hokey to some but thats the honest truth. I've had the pleasure of sharing a beer with the guy or gal who used one of my pack jobs and listening to their story.

Where do I get the extra 10% at?
Take care,
space

I guess the best answer for me is that its just in my blood. I was a firefighter/paramedic for 25 years and when I retired I wanted to do something to help save others. That may sound kind of hokey to some but thats the honest truth. I've had the pleasure of sharing a beer with the guy or gal who used one of my pack jobs and listening to their story.

I have enjoyed those same conversations

The first save I had was a master rigger who was doing a tandem

After he landed he just walked up to me, stuck out his hand and said thanks

I will always remember that feeling

He eventually bought me a bottle of some very nice scotch
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Some of my friends value having a trusted relationship with their rigger. I'm happy that of their many choices in the area, some people are specifically asking me to maintain their gear. Of course, I'm happy to do it. I'm surprised other riggers in the area don't try to build relationships with their clients.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Where do I get the extra 10% at?
Take care,
space

I thought you could only give more than 100% if you were a hockey player.

Other persons´s lives are a great responsibility, and the best payment is that a jumper who had a malfunction, and activated his/her reserve, packed by You, is still alive. Any amount of money can make disappear the responsibility of a death caused by a negligent job.

Absolutely!

Motivation was a packed in line-over on MY reserve!

The rigger at the time use to video every pack-job for liability reasons, and to 'prove' it wasn't penciled.

We 'went to the tape' and it was blatantly obvious mine was odds on set up for a problem. :o

Rigger was not only sloppy, but didn't have a manual for my then new HC and canopy system, tried to 'wing it' I guess...I was working in aerospace manufacturing at the time where tolerances are 'balls on' or it's scrap. How can a rigger NOT have that same zero error mind-set.

A buddy said get the rating and you won't ever have to wonder if it's right again! B|B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Motivation was a packed in line-over on MY reserve!

The rigger at the time use to video every pack-job for liability reasons, and to 'prove' it wasn't penciled.

We 'went to the tape' and it was blatantly obvious mine was odds on set up for a problem. :o

How the hell did he pack a line over?? Square or round?

Note to self: Don't video the packjobs! :D:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I originally got my ticket after BASE jumping for a few years because you are basically your own rigger there and I figured it would not hurt to know more about how to inspect and pack my gear.

The allure of not paying anyone to maintain my gear was big, plus the added responsibility of making sure to take care of myself was there, too.

Once I started actually working in the loft that trained me (and while I was being trained) I REALLY started to like all of the more technical stuff of repairs, differences between different canopies, etc. Gear excites me and I am ok with that.

The new challenges to make my pack job better than the last one in there in cleanliness and aesthetically is also fun.
Not again!