ChasingBlueSky

An attack that could rival or exceed 9/11

Normally I don't pay too much attention to Ridge anymore, but this press conference has used the harshest language I have heard in a long time. There are going to be a lot of our friends traveling over the next two weeks, and most will probably be hasseled about their rigs. Right now, I am glad I will be making the 1200 mile trip by car.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=542&u=/ap/20031222/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/terror_threat&printer=1

Nation's Threat Level Raised to Orange

By JENNIFER C. KERR, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Security is being increased at airports, borders and ports as the nation stands at "Code Orange," the second-highest alert level for terrorist threats.

The upgrade Sunday from "Code Yellow," or "elevated" status, followed warnings from the government that al-Qaida militants may be plotting attacks on America during the holidays. The new designation indicates a high risk.

"The information we have indicates that extremists abroad are anticipating near-term attacks that they believe will either rival or exceed" the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said in announcing the change.

Some of the intelligence information gathered, Ridge said, indicates that Osama bin Laden (news - web sites)'s terrorist network is seeking again to use planes as weapons. They are "constantly evaluating procedures ... to find gaps in our security posture that could be exploited," he said.

The threat information comes from multiple, credible sources, but officials are unaware of a specific target or means of attack, said a senior law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Some of the intercepted communications and other intelligence mentions New York, Washington and unspecified cities on the West Coast, this official said. Authorities also are concerned about dams, bridges, nuclear plants, chemical facilities and other public works.

Thousands of state and local law enforcement agencies have received an FBI (news - web sites) advisory urging special notice of sites that could be a conceivable target and potential security upgrades, the official said.

In addition, Ridge has contacted his counterparts in Canada and Mexico about increasing border security.

At a hastily arranged news conference Sunday, Ridge said credible intelligence sources "suggest the possibility of attacks against the homeland around the holiday season and beyond."

He said the government decided to raise the alert level after U.S. intelligence agencies "received a substantial increase in the volume of threat-related intelligence reports."

Hours after Ridge's announcement, the State Department issued a worldwide caution warning U.S. citizens overseas that they may be terrorist targets. Echoing Ridge, the caution said officials "expect al-Qaida will strive for new attacks designed to be more devastating" than the Sept. 11 attacks.

Ridge said officials did not see a connection between the recent capture of ousted Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) and the heightened security alert.

He also tried to reassure Americans traveling by plane for the holidays. "Make no mistake about it, aviation is far more secure than it's ever been in the history of the country," Ridge said. At the same time, he said security at airports can be ramped up a bit more.

As a result of the change in threat level, all federal departments and agencies were putting action plans in place and stepping up security at airports, border crossings and ports, Ridge said.

"Extensive and considerable protections have been or soon will be in place all across the country," Ridge said. "Your government will stand at the ready 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to stop terrorism during the holiday season and beyond."

And he urged Americans not to disrupt holiday plans. "If you've got travel plans, travel," he said.

In recent days, U.S. officials told travelers to be vigilant about the threat of attacks. The warning was prompted in part by a raised level of ominous intercepted communications that has not quieted for months.

On Friday, the Arabic television network Al-Jazeera aired a new threatening statement from Ayman al-Zawahri, bin Laden's chief deputy. The CIA (news - web sites) said Saturday it believes the tape is authentic.

Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Sunday that officials were trying to determine whether the increased material detected was an aberration or something more serious.

The alert level has previously been raised from yellow to orange four times — setting off a flurry of increased security measures by cities, states and businesses.

The lowest two levels, green and blue, and the highest — red, indicating an imminent threat — have not been used since the system was put in place in March 2002.

It's unfortunate that someone on the other side of the world can transmit a threatening e-mail for next to nothing, and our reaction is certain to cost millions. I hope that nothing does happen, but it is clear that we cannot afford to do this indefinitely.

It's unfortunate that someone on the other side of the world can transmit a threatening e-mail for next to nothing, and our reaction is certain to cost millions. I hope that nothing does happen, but it is clear that we cannot afford to do this indefinitely.

What would you suggest we do?

Be afraid. Be very afraid. It's what both sides want.
Better yet, be terrified, thus proving that you're a victim of terrorism, and so justifying your govenments response.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

and so justifying your govenments response.

Aw man Tonto.. These idiots are already off the deep end with paranoia....but hey it certainly plays to John Ashcrofts REAL desires.

I doubt this will ever be a country free from paranoia again. The Japanese made an excellent force counterstrike move and we suffered through 50 years of abject fear that someone would attack this country. We got to spend a few years of almost normalcy and a minor player on the world stage.. that we fostered in the first place upsets the apple cart and off we go again absolutely ape shit .. the fourth largest army in the world verses the first that is so technologically superior.. the mother of all battles was the most lopsided butchery in history... . What do we do.. scare the hell out of most of the world and show the world how ruthless we can be. This incites some of the other terrorists we fostered in our guise of supporting " freedom fighters" and dictatorial regimes... So one other minor player uses our own system as a way to attack us. IT was an evil deed condemned by almost all the world. Within a few short months we hit back with righteous indignation. The only problem is the die had been cast... the ruler of this country has divine guidance from above and voices just what so many in that part of the world fear, a new crusade and this bozo walked right into it. Now the world is afraid of the biggest bully on the block. I wonder how long it will take the rest of the class to gang up on the big bully. The Bully only has a couple geeky little friends. Its not looking good for any semblance of peace in the world for the forseeable future.

Preaching to the converted, Jeanne.:)
I see the CIA has been put in charge of Saddam's interogation. I guess they won't be asking him the question,

"So, Saddam. Where did you get the gas that you used against the Kurds?"

I also doubt that a US representative will be standing next to him when he is charged with the US financed and backed invasion against Iran in the early 1980's.

Ashcroft? Now there's a dude on a power trip. Better hold on for the ride!

t

We got to spend a few years of almost normalcy and a minor player on the world stage..

please add...with our heads stuck in the sand absolutely ignoring the fact that there was a threat building inside our on homeland........and......while we sit in the Oval Office and received BJs from interns.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

Better yet, be terrified, thus proving that you're a victim of terrorism, and so justifying your govenments response.

Even better, ignore everything because if something happens you're thousands of miles away or.........get on the internet and be a complete smartass when you have no idea what you're talking about.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

We got to spend a few years of almost normalcy and a minor player on the world stage..

please add...with our heads stuck in the sand absolutely ignoring the fact that there was a threat building inside our on homeland........and......while we sit in the Oval Office and received BJs from interns.

I really don't think Bush gets a b/j from his intern or at home for that matter.

blues

jerry

I would start by ending all financial and military support for all sides of the Arab v. Israeli conflict. America's prosperity has been wasted in this region for too long.

Even better, ignore everything because if something happens you're thousands of miles away or.........get on the internet and be a complete smartass when you have no idea what you're talking about.

You're from Texas. You're in Law enforcement. You list your interests as

1. Wife and family 2. Skydiving 3. Homebrewing 4. Woodworking.

We're obviously very different, but we both agree with your sig line.

Chill. It's only a website.

t

I pretty much believe that this whole incident proves that we have lost the war on terrorism. They have won, they have turned our country into a bunch of simpering pussys.
It wouldn't hurt you to think like a fucking serial killer every once in a while - just for the sake of prevention

Mmm.

Sounds like all of you are scared of everything...

So who are the terrorists? The 19 dead guys from 9/11? Or your government scaring the crap out of you and then telling you to fly anyway?

t

Damn!! Deep. Very Deep! Good point.
Bottomless Beers and Blue Skies!

* Brother_Brian *
D.S.W.F.S.B. #2

I really don't think Bush gets a b/j from his intern or at home for that matter.

not to hijack the thread to much, but something in her demenor leads me to believe Laura Bush is really a freak

"The information we have indicates that extremists abroad are anticipating near-term attacks that they believe will either rival or exceed" the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said in announcing the change.

Some of the intelligence information gathered, Ridge said, indicates that Osama bin Laden (news - web sites)'s terrorist network is seeking again to use planes as weapons. They are "constantly evaluating procedures ... to find gaps in our security posture that could be exploited," he said.

But...but...I thought that all of the money and manpower that we sent to Iraq was supposed to stop terrorism. What gives?:S
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

Mmm.

Sounds like all of you are scared of everything...

So who are the terrorists? The 19 dead guys from 9/11?

Could be anyone! That's why Americans right to bear arms should not be revoked simply because they board an airplane. They should be free to carry on the plane too!

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

But...but...I thought that all of the money and manpower that we sent to Iraq was supposed to stop terrorism. What gives?:S

You've been listening to too many liberals. :P:D

Oh, so the conservative stance on the war in Iraq is that it was not about terrorism? Then why did Dubya refer to it as the main front on the war on terrorism? :P
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All