freekflyguy

Is Skydiving an Extreme sport?

Dude. Anyone who thinks extreme ironing isn't extreme hasn't seen the photo of the guy pressing a shirt in freefall--from a 500' cliff. You gonna do that?

Is that clip available anywhere?

I'm not sure I like skydiving to be thought of as an extreme sport. I prefer the idea that's it's acccessible to everyone and that if danger / speed / low altitude is extreme, then there are ways into that if you want to. I've taken stick off people, mainly parents, for doing an 'extreme' sport.
Substiture 'I'm ignorant of the sport and therefore assume it's suicidal' for extreme, and that miught be more what they mean.;)

It's what you make of it...

just my 2 pence :P

I do get a little pissed off with the people I see at DZ's who jump big docile canopies, fly a conservative landing pattern and walk around with the obligatory "No Fear" shirt giving it the big I am because they are extreme. Whilst the jumper that just did a sweet carving 270 and trailed the ditch landing safely, strolls off the landing area with nothing m,ore than a smile.

I'm guessing that you are the second guy. ;)

never pull low......unless you are

You started talking about "people who jump big, docile canopies and wear NO FEAR t-shirts", and I deviated the topic to wussiness. Whatever. Agree to disagree.

I agree with you Kelly. I flew a big docile canopy, because I didn't have a choice as a student, and I still shattered my knee. I have participated in other sports that were considered to be extreme, and I never injured myself like that. In my opinion, skydiving is an extreme sport and sometimes people just do insane things with it...;)

Whilst the jumper that just did a sweet carving 270 and trailed the ditch landing safely, strolls off the landing area with nothing m,ore than a smile.

While secretly, under their breath are "pissed off with the people" who are proud of their own accomplishments even if they aren't as radical as their own.

Sky gods rule!!!!

(touching finger to OUTSIDE of nose)

My thoughts precisely. B|
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I do get a little pissed off with the people I see at DZ's who jump big docile canopies, fly a conservative landing pattern and walk around with the obligatory "No Fear" shirt...

Jumping out of an airplane is no small feat. Most people wouldn't consider doing it. IMO, it seems silly to be pissed at someone for wearing a "no fear" shirt because they aren't being extreme enough.
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

Hmmmmmmmmmm...............I guess exiting a plane and enjouing the same freefall is null & void if jumping a large canopy.......why didn't I think of that lol?

Yeah, I guess we make smaller craters???

The whole extreme sport thing is a marketing gimmick anyway, created to sell hype and hence move product.

Of course its extreme. People get maimed and killed every weekend. We go to funerals to mourn the loss of our friends. This is not the type of activity that "normal people" do.

How here's the problem, if I turn on the TV, I see shows about "extreme sports", and one of those "extreme sports" is kids riding their BMX bikes up and down little hills. That is NOT an exreme sport. Likewise, I'll often turn on an "extreme sports" tv show and see a bunch of kids riding their skateboards up and down hills. Likewise, that is NOT an extreme sport.

As you might guess, I hold the marketing of "extreme" in a bit of contempt. I'm a bit annoyed at people who contribute to it, because most of the it is decidedly not. That said, skydiving definately is, and if anyone of us want to take that as our label, we deserve it. I'm pissed at the kids on skateboards, not those who try to jump safely.

I can't fathom the idea that skydiving is not the "Big E." as you put it. There are few sports that are riskier, there are few sports that kill so many of its participants.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

as a skydiver, flying a big docile canopy means you are not extreme.

Tandem passengers are not extreme at all, they are simply cargo.

Oh, come on now...

If you do something for the first time that is percieved as dangerous, it feels extreme. I swoop, I have a decent # of jumps, but I don't consider my self an "extreme athlete"... but right after my level 1, I felt like I just conquered the world.

And why are only wingsuits extreme?

It is not for us to decide, nor care. I love it because the outside world does not understand what we do... keep your extreme rollerblading in the X-Games...

Blog Clicky

Dude. Anyone who thinks extreme ironing isn't extreme hasn't seen the photo of the guy pressing a shirt in freefall--from a 500' cliff. You gonna do that?

Is that clip available anywhere?

I saw a still photo, taken just after exit. I'd wager that the video will make it's way onto an ABA tape at some point. The still has been posted to the BASE forum here, BLiNC, and the ABA board on a couple of occasions.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Don't you people get it. . .this is NOT an extreme sport. . .if it was I WOULD NOT be allowed to participate. . .do NOT make me repeat myself again. . .

In all seriousness though, I believe that everyone has their limits. . .I prefer landing safely. . .as I am currently a student, I fly a big docile canopy because I must. I will probably never fly a small, petite HP canopy because I have no intention of becoming a swoop goddess. . .I enjoy the freefall. . .the time under canopy is necessary to get me back to the ground. . .More power to those of you who swoop like crazy people. . .I love watching it. . .but I am about as extreme as I want to be. . .it is enough for me. And yes, jumping out of planes is extreme enough. And I may someday wear a "No Fear" tee shirt just because I want to. . .if that pisses anyone off. . .EAT DIRT. . .I am as extreme as I want to be for now.

So, Buzz. . .If you happen to be at a DZ where I am at and you do a sweet carving 270. . .I will high five you and say nice job. . .as long as you don't make fun of my "No Fear" tee shirt and big docile canopy. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Skydiving is "extreme"ly cool!

I dont think its all that extreme in the way that you mean.
With all proper training and equipment its not nearly as dangerous as uneducated opinion makes it seem.

To your average whuffo that doesnt do anything more dangerous than step over the dog on his way from the sofa to the kitchen to grab another beer it might seem pretty extreme. So might bodybuilding for that matter.

In point of fact, I have been injured far more times while lifting than I have skydiving and I feel that I'm at
a much greater risk while holding a 340 lb barbell over my chest than I am skydiving.

Does this make bodybuilding an extreme sport?

I dont make that "Y" gesture with my hand so I'm not cool and therefore my opinion bears no weight ;)

While secretly, under their breath are "pissed off with the people" who are proud of their own accomplishments even if they aren't as radical as their own.

Sky gods rule!!!!

Snicker.

:)
They should have special, separate DZs for the the jumpers that do sweet carving 270s and trail the ditch landing safely and stroll off the landing area with nothing more than a smile.

I would not want them to be annoyed by my being pleased with myself for a stand-up landing.
Skydiving is for cool people only

Ok. Let me rephrase. What I am trying to say is that these "skateboard kids" are badass. They do some crazy shit. Most people would jump out of a plane way before they would do any of the stuff that these guys do. I wasnt trying to say that skydivers arent as talented as these "kids" but I wanted them to get more credit than they were given in the previous post.