SublimeBreeze

Best DZ and Place to Learn and Live

I am thinking about making a life change and am interested in what other people think about it. I am ready to quit school, sell my business, and move somewhere I can jump my ass off and get good enough to fly some video slots also to get very good at freeflying. I am willing to move anywhere I want to know which dz would be best for the begginer 35 jumps and 'A' license. I would like a dz with friendly people and great weather year round. Im thinking florida, but I really have no clue where the best place is. I am open to any Ideas. Thanks a Ton!

Peace

Sean

Oh yeah I got my own rig FF friendly too =P

Sean
Sean In Thailand

I hope that this life change was not triggered by skydiving. Believe me, I know how you feel, but please, wait for at least a hundred jumps before you go do that. What happens if you burn out in 5 years? Or you get badly injured? Or a friend gets killed and you can't skydive anymore? Please, don't make any life changing decisions on a whim.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

I hope that this life change was not triggered by skydiving.

No it was not, It is a need to get out and explorer the world and try something new. I am not saying I will always have this life style but I know that I am ready to make this type of commitment.

Believe me, I know how you feel, but please, wait for at least a hundred jumps before you go do that. What happens if you burn out in 5 years? Or you get badly injured? Or a friend gets killed and you can't skydive anymore? Please, don't make any life changing decisions on a whim.

I really apreciate your concern but it isn't something that needs to be wieghed. I understand the risk behind the sport and lifestyle I want to know where best live it. I accept the fact that every jump could be my last, things happen, even if your the safest skydiver in the world the risk are only miminized by safety.

Sean
Sean In Thailand

Why would't you stay in school, keep your business, and still learn to be a great skydiver? Are you independanly wealthy? If not, you are not going to make much money living at a dz - -especially without any ratings (e.g. instructing).

More than likely, if your whole life revolves around a DZ and skydiving, you will get burned out and then what?

When I was in school years ago I was bummed that I was studying and others were jumping.. My instructor told me "Skydiving will always be here.. finish your school, get a great job, and then skydive for the rest of your life"..

The best advice someone could have given me.. Years later I have a sweet job, and have plenty of $ to skydive, buy new gear, travel to boogies, etc..

Just my $.02 FWIW...

Yeah I have to agree with alot of you, however either way im going to take a break from school, Im in the process of selling my business I am working on that independantly wealthy thing =D. I do not want to get burned out I agree, I guess im sick of winter. I also feel so strongly about skydiving that I could easily dedicate my life to it. Thanks for all your input.

Sean

Sean
Sean In Thailand

I also feel so strongly about skydiving that I could easily dedicate my life to it.

A friend's younger brother fell in love with a bimbo from a disfunctional family. At a party he went to take a squirt and discovered his friend putting the bone to his beloved bimbo in the bathroom. Unable to contain his grief he departed this cruel world by hanging himself in the garage. His brother, my friend, discovered him a day or two later...his neck stretched out like a giraffe. The bimbo thought it was so "kewl" that someone was that much in love with her as she would later brag to her "Section-8" friends. He's gone, and she's got three "angels" each from different fathers. She has never worked a day in her life, yet the goodies have never stopped coming her way. You will never be able to change gears with the economy of a bimbo, Sean; stay in school!

Take this advice from someone who has been a full-time skydiver for the last 11 years: finish college and keep your day-time job until you have a couple of rigs, a motor-home, a couple of instructor ratings, a couple of coaching ratings, a complete set of freefall camera equipment - and the skills to use it -, a rigger rating, a commercial pilot license, an A&P rating, etc.
I turned pro without all those ratings and it was tough for the first few years.
Wait a minute, I still don't have all those ratings and life is still tough.
If it weren't for my rigger rating, I would starve over the winter, or - HEAVEN FORBID - get a real job.

Great small DZ atmosphere, BBQ every Saturday night, everybody knows everybody...etc

We had to move to OK a few years ago, but last time I was out there (about a year ago), the DZ was mostly free fliers. You may be able to PM freeflyz for an answer unless he sees this thread an responds first.

Rock

I agree with dove's avatar.......ahh I mean advise. Skydiving will always be there for you, a shot at a degree might not.....

(holy smoke's Dove, is that really you?:$

Steve M
>^..^<
for me -- SkyDiving is a life sentence -- for it has saved my life.

All of the above advice is dead on. I'm assuming you're younger, so hopefully you have many years of skydiving ahead of you. Finish school, make some money to buy all your gear, rv's, cam equip. etc.. then cut loose in style.

But there is something for saying "what the f@#k" also. I worked as a warehouse/inventory control manager for 9 yrs then cutaway earlier this year with very little prior planning. I hated the job more every day and the only thing that kept me there was a decent salary and benefits. When my friend called and offered a dzm position, I jumped at the chance. One of the best decisions I ever made. The only thing I miss is the prior money I was making. I also wish I had started my 401k a lil' earlier so I coulda bought me a rv. Anybody wanna help a brudda out with some donations?

Working at a dz is definitely a certain lifestyle. Just make sure it's the kind you want. I sometimes compare it to my broke college days while being in a band at the same time.

Another thing that made this easy for me was that after my family realized I was serious, they supported me (not financially) 100%. After years of trying to get them to come to FL and do a tandem they can't wait to come to Puerto Rico and jump.

Wishin' you the best in whatever decision you make,

Chris

Problems just be opportunities in der workin' clothes.

Taps the mic... "This thing on?"

Ahhh, the instant gratification required generation at it's zenith! :P

First things first though... You got all your hot color matching gear yet, and all the fanciest & latest of gizmo's & thing-a-ma-bob's etc. that will not only tell you when to pull, but potentially even pull for you too? Y'know, making cell phone calls while in freefall to the vid shack to be sure your "live" ground-to-air video is all queu'ed up & ready to go the MOMENT you touch down could get distracting. We wouldn't want you to pound in because you happened to miss your fancy-toy's flat-line in all the great excitement! :D:D:D
coitus non circum - Moab Stone