Muenkel

How do you people who survived a serious injury, get yourself back in the air?

I know my head injury was not the result of skydiving, but I am going into my 6th month of recovery and I still at times speak like a retard and I can't walk a straight line among many other symptoms. I have many more months left of convalescing, and still the possibility of surgery. To be honest, these past 5 months have been complete hell at times. I seriously have doubts about continuing my aff once I am recovered. I just can't imagine risking going through this hell again.

So how do you folks get back in the saddle...so to speak? I really loved every time I jumped out of that plane.

Thanks,
Chris

Well mine doesnt sound as bad as yours but I managed to break my back in May last year. I think not knowing what exactly will happen in the future is the worst part. For the first week in hospital I was stuck on my back, not even allowed to roll over and didnt have a clue what would happen to me in terms of surgury and recovery. Every day the docs would come in and say we will tell you tomorrow...that was hell, though compared to how long you have to go through it I cant complain I guess :S

I was told to wait until I get all the metal out of my back which could be whenever but I couldnt hold back so i started jumping again a month ago and so far so good...

I guess the way I got through it all was I kept imagining that first jump back.. and how it would feel (first jump from height was meant to be a solo but ended up as a 8 way tracking dive ..oh well :P)

I think the main thing is if you want it enough you will eventually do it, just keep positive and do any rehab you are given. ( I heard that more then enough times when I was stuck on my back but its true)

I completely destroyed a femur hooking it in. Everything between the 2 joints was just splinters.

Same story as Mick. Wait another day - Wait another day. It took 10 days on antibiotics before the trauma had reduced to the point they could operate to reconstruct the femur. When I got out of hospital - I was told I'd be on crutches for a year - but managed to reduce that to 8 months. Had the plate out after 14 months - then another 6 weeks not jumping.

I was quite mad, of course, since I only stopped jumping for 6 weeks after the break, and the 6 weeks after the plate was removed. I was scared in the door, I was scared on the ground. Only peace I ever had was in the air. I worked for me though, since I've done 3900+ injury free dives since then.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

i don't know what your injury is, but i know for sure that the fact that you have something to look forward to, something to motivate you to recover is the best thing ever.

the human body can recover in an amazing way, i believe will power and having a goal is very important.

hope you'll be up and running quickly :)
O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

I bust my femur and it took over two years to heal before I could jump again.
I just kept setting goals and shifting the time scale.
I also taught myself video editing and harvested footage from chums. This kept me in touch with the group of pals, and I could get a vicarious skydive hit.

If you are going to be ground bound, you've got to have faith, determination, patience, but mostly faith.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

If you are going to be ground bound, you've got to have faith, determination, patience, but mostly faith.

Absolutely. Plus, you have to decide if the lifestyle is worth the risk. It's different for every person because each injury, pain tolerance and down time gives each person a different perspective. For me, I just had the faith that my training and skills were going to work for me and that I wouldn't make the same mistakes again. Then, I just made myself push past the fear and just jumped.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

To be honest, these past 5 months have been complete hell at times.

OMG, do I hear that. I try to block the memories of the five+ months I spent flat on my back in extreme pain before I finally convinced the doctor that I not only needed back surgery, I wanted it - cuz I wanted my life back.

There were many times during those months, and during the twelve months after surgery when I was stuck on the ground, that I seriously considered never jumping again. Considering that my job selling skydiving equipment kinda required that I skydive, that was scary - luckily for me, my employers at the time are awesome people. Kate told me that it didn't matter to them if I jumped again or not, my job was going to be there for me as long as I wanted it.

The main thing that got me back in the air was the opportunity to be a part of JFTC, to raise money for breast cancer research (ie to help people with far more courage than I have, dealing with far more serious health issues than I was), and the chance to help set a world record. Once I set that goal for myself the thought of not jumping again didn't enter my mind.

I agree with nac. Ya gotta be determined, and ya gotta have faith. imho, you're a step ahead of many people in that regard Chris - your religious beliefs give you something beyond yourself to have faith in (and you know God wouldn't give you more than He knows you can handle - even if at times you aren't so sure you're handling it). And you've already shown everyone - and most importantly yourself - how determined you are - you've already gotten back in the air after a skydiving related injury.

All that said.... the biggest thing I learned from my journey through pain and recovery is that skydiving isn't everything. It's fun, it's challenging, it makes me smile... but life will go on if for some reason in the future I'm not physically able to jump. There's no rush... skydiving will still be there when your body and mind are ready to get back into it, and if you decide not to, well that's okay too.

I'm in the same place. I was at the dropzone for the first time since my injury this weekend and I could hardly watch everyone's landings. Everything just looked so fucking dangerous.

I'm scared, but I've set a date. I'll let you know how it goes.
Skydiving is for cool people only

In '99' I screwed with a mal too long and had to ride it in. Mal was a stuck toggle on a Jedi-120.

I broke my acetabulum which is the portion of the pelvis that holds your leg in place. My leg cam completely out of the socket and was on the top of my pelvis.

The first Dr. did not replace the bone that I had lost and subsequently my leg was dislocated for a total of seven weeks.

I saw another Dr. and when he saw that the leg was still dislocated he asked me about the pain. I said

I take it day by day!

He looked at me as if I were insane.

I had my second surgery on Valentines Day of 2000. He re-constructed the missing bone with cadaver bone.

The next problem was that because I had the dislocation for so long that I wore almost the whole head of the femur off.

I had a third surgery on June 25, 2001. It was a total hip replacement.

I took the time to fully recover. At no time did I ever think I would not jump again. It was frustrating not being able to jump. I rarely went to the DZ. I knew I would return though.

On November 24, 2001 I did a return jump. It was a Free Flown 24-PT 4-WAY.

I then waited until May 25, 2002 to continue jumping all the time again.

Once again at no time did I ever give up the hope that I would jump again. I worked very hard through my recovery. I had to take temporary jobs inbetween surgeries. It was rough but I perservered.

I also just beat a medical dis-charge the Florida National Guard was trying to give me. After two years of fighting the system I was found Fit-For-Duty once again. This past weekend I made a jump with the unit. A tailgate S/L out of a C-130. It was AWESOME. If you have not been there you would not understand. Some like it some don't.

I personally like all forms of jumping. Sport and Military. I need the rush.

I was not scared one bit on the jump back into the sport. Just the same I was not scared when I jumped the Bridge. I even took the time to look over the edge before I jumped off.

If you are not comfortable then just do not do it. This is because your mind is distracted by the things that can go wrong. Then you are unsafe to your fellow jumpers.

My concentration never falls into the What-IF Category while I am jumping. If I do not like it I won't do it. There is no time for distractions.

Even when I had my accident I was concentrating on the issue at hand. Once I decided I was too low to cut-away I made sure to do my best to get out of the main landing area so as not to collide with another jumper. I did the best PLF I could on landing but hit the ground at over 50MPH. Before I hit I thought I was dead.

Personally I think I faired rather well. I cracked the jaw on my Factory Diver, the face sheild blew out on impact and my dytter was crushed and ruined.(talking original F.D. and Dytter here folks). All I broke was a small piece off my hip. I just had a slack Dr. Shit happens. I am now recovered and even though I will be in pain the rest of my life because I ruined the siatic nerve I will never stop jumping.

There is only one thing that will stop me from jumping, "DEATH!!!!!!!!!!"

Laters,

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

Take the time (sounds like you've got it) to determine if skydiving is what you want to do. Be honest with yourself, if you decide yes, GET ADVICE from your freindly neighborhood JM's and Instructors, they have probably been there, and can help you deal with the psych angle of getting back in the air. Tell you how it feels, and what to expect.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

Chris,

I haven't had a serious injury like that, but I'll give you my $.02. Hang in there, bitch if you feel like it, and use us as a support network. Out of this group, somebody has pretty much always been in a worse situation and pulled out. Look for inspiration. Use your faith. You'll make it through this.

Now, to inject a moment of levity:

I still at times speak like a retard and I can't walk a straight line

You sound like a full-fledged skydiver! B|

i think i told my storry enough times by now,but have you thourght of getting a tandem whith your freinds arround?

I know it aint the same,and i know what you MIGHT think about it,but it could might give that ekstra to get your smile back,and rember why you WANT to hold on to this...

Atleast you can get a jump(ie ok a tandem)whith your freinds,many injuryed has to wait to the end[:/]

Its a tough road but if you have the passion for the sport you´ll hang in there;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Could not find it in the on-line version so I am going to have to type it.

Girl Surfs again after losing arm

Teen surfer Bethany Hamilton returned to
competition Saturday, just 10-weeks after losing her
arm in a shark attack. The 13-year-old was fifth in
her age group in the Open Women Division of a
National Scholastic Surfing Assosiation meet at
Banyans, near Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. "It was
definitely a good start," Hamilton said. Hamilton
began with a modest 2-foot wave, but caught a
6-footer during her quaterfinal heat. Hamilton
rejected any special treatment, said Bobbi Lee, NSSA
Hawaii Conference director. "She said she wanted to
be treated like anybody else," Lee said.

Credit: St. Petersburg Times Daily Newspaper
January 12, 2004

My point to this article is that if you know you truly love something nothing will prevent you from doing it. If there is any doubt in your mind then find something else that pleases you.

Here is a thirteen year old girl who lost her arm doing what she loves by an animal. In just 2-1/2 months she has not only adapted to the loss of a limb but competed and came in 5TH! Oh and a 6' wave is a pretty damn good size especailly for a one armed 13-year old female. Half of ya'll on here could not paddle out in 6' surf with all of your limbs!

I commend this young lady for not being a quitter and knowing what she wants out of life.

I seriously have doubts about continuing my aff once I am recovered. I just can't imagine risking going through this hell again.

You have obviously made your decision. Get healthy and find yourself something which you can live with.

I wish you the best with your recovery.

Laters,

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!B|

"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

It really helps to have a goal in mind...something to drive you on during the healing process.

For me, it was 4-way competition. I can't imagine NOT doing it, and my determination to find a team and compete again THIS year got me in the air after my femur break in a little over 3 months.

I still butt-slide my landings, and I'm fine with that, but for me the drive to meet my skydiving goals is strong enough to get me back in the air (and in the gym for physical therapy).
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I seriously have doubts about continuing my aff once I am recovered. I just can't imagine risking going through this hell again.

You have obviously made your decision. Get healthy and find yourself something which you can live with.

Harsh. I'm gonna have to disagree with your opinion that having serious doubts about skydiving again means that Chris has made up his mind he'll never jump again. I had (and sometimes still have) serious doubts about the risks I'm taking by jumping now. Those doubts haven't completely stopped me yet, and I don't think they ever will. They have influenced my gear choices and how often I jump and how many skydives I make though.

A rather well known RW organizer told me that she had serious doubts she'd ever skydive again while recovering from an injury. Since then she's accomplished more in this sport than 99% of the rest of us ever will.

Doubts, even serious ones, don't equal a decision. You can't make an informed decision without looking at the negative sides of the equation as well as the positive.

You folks are very cool.B|

This was the info I was looking for. In the scheme of things, there are many people who faced worse and got back in the air. I was extremely lucky
considering what could have been. Kramer, you've got balls! I have a lot of time before I will be able to make this decision. I think I need to get angry enough to say "dammit, I love this sport and I don't want to let one bad fuckup ruin it for me." I have a score to settle, and that's to finish AFF and get a license.

I really haven't given up, I'm just fighting the ghosts right now.

Thanks folks,
Chris

Edited to add for Kramer: My comment about you having balls meant that I thought you had a lot of guts. After reading Lisa's post, I didn't want you to take it that I was pissed that you were assuming I made up my mind.

Harsh.

Yeah Lisa I am harsh sometimes. I guess I have always had to fight for what I wanted. I never doubt anything that I do. I seek and conquer all that I can.

The point of that second post is that a 13-year old came back so fast and has already adapted to a missing limb which would take 99.9% of the population much much longer. She is a TRUE CHAMPION!

I just call it like I see it.

If you doubt things that you are doing then there is a posibility that your mind is distracted by your doubts. This could lead to issues with whatever you are doing if you doubt yourself.

Just the way I go through life.

The only reason I survived my accident is because I was constantly thinking of survival.

People ask me if I had to do it over would I had made the decision sooner. I say that I made a choice which I am happy with because I am still here.
;)B|:S:D:ph34r::)

Kramer, you've got balls!

Thank you but I was just a determined individual. :)

My comment about you having balls meant that I thought you had a lot of guts. After reading Lisa's post, I didn't want you to take it that I was pissed that you were assuming I made up my mind.

No worries big guy. I knew what you meant. :)
Just be determined. Give your body the time it needs to heal. Then you will be ready to conquer the world yourself.

Good Luck!

Laters,

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!B|

I was concerned about even starting AFF. I sustained a serious head injury in 98 (bad car accident) and know that I am not 100% because of it. AFF was also the first new "thing" I was learning since the head injury. I wasn't sure that my brain would be able to function under the stress.

On top of the head injury in 98, I broke my pelvis in two places and all of my ribs on my left side.

Well, it took me a little longer to get through AFF. If I have to PLF, I do it to my right side to protect the hip that has already been broken. I will always jump with a helmet and I will probably remain a fairly conservative skydiver but I am so glad that I jump.

I have discovered that being in fear is no way to live, you just exist.

Well first, Chris, quit falling down the stairs, ok? Get some rubber-soled shoes, and you might want to keep some bean bag chairs at the bottom of the stairs, just in case.
;) just playin with ya.

Give your body time to heal. When the time is right, you will feel it. The sky is not going anywhere. In the meantime, you have all sorts of resources to continue learning about the sport. If you were going to give up, you would have done so already. I think you know where your path is going to lead.. it just looks frustrating from here. Keep your chin up!

I thought my injuries were bad until I read some of
the replies in this thread! Almost lost my left ear
once when I pulled in a spin ... the risers or something
caught my ear.

But the worst was jump-13 when I didn't maintain an
arch and the lines wrapped around my right leg on
deployment tearing my hamstring apart. If you're
interested, the gory details are on the website below.

Going back to it a year later on jump-14 was scarrier than
Hell! But on landing, the feeling of conquering that fear
was fantastic! I'm up to 71 now, and still crashing on
landing. So hang in there Chris.

Incidentally, how did you injure your head?

I sustained a serious head injury in 98 (bad car accident) and know that I am not 100% because of it.

Well shit maybe that's what's wrong with me! :S

Seriously, I have had approximately 20 concussions in my life. I am still fairly young.

About 10 of those came from the very end of 97 to the summer of 99.

NOOOOO NOT ALL WERE FROM SKYDIVING!!!!! I am just a plain old nut. I am always pushing the limit!

The only thing that it means is that the next time you bump your head you are more susceptible to another injury.

I know that when I start to see stars and get tunnel vision that I am pushing the limit. :S

Laters,

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!B|

Incidentally, how did you injure your head?

I've posted this a few times before, so people are probably sick of hearing it. But to answer your question. It was a freak accident, where I slipped on the stairs in my apartment and landed head first on a porcelain tile floor which has a concrete base. I have what's called a closed head traumatic brain injury.

Chaoskitty, the bean bags are a great idea! The only problem is, I would start jumping down my staircase for fun. I don't think it qualifies as base jumping, but fun anyway.B|

Chris