jmpnkramer

Death of a Soldier, Husband, Father!

This post is a tribute to a very good Man. A man who did not need to be involved in this conflict. He was an Honorable Man who chose to be there for his country and team members.

Fla. Nat'l Guard Special Forces Soldier Killed in Afghanistan!

Florida Army National Guard Sgt. Roy Alvin Wood, 47, of Alva, Fla., located east of Ft. Myers, died Jan. 9 in Kabul, Afghanistan.

Sgt. Wood's death marks the fourth combat related death the Florida National Guard has experienced in Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. The Florida National Guard offers our sincere, heartfelt condolences to the family of Sgt. Wood. Our thoughts and prayers are with them during these and future trying times.

Sgt. Wood will be greatly missed by his comrades. We have lost a great individual, a great soldier, a great physician and a great American. He was a dedicated soldier who loved his country and believed in what he was doing.

Sgt. Wood was assigned to Company C, 3rd battalion, 20th Special Forces Group, originally based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and deployed with his unit in July. The unit is now based in Wachula, Fla.

Sgt. Wood is the first soldier from the Florida National Guard killed during operations in Afghanistan. The incident is under investigation.

Sgt. Wood's unit deployed to Afghanistan from its mobilization station at Fort Bragg, N.C., in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, and is currently performing direct actions, special reconnaissance,
unconventional warfare and foreign internal defense (advising local Afghan forces).

Sgt. Wood received a commission as 2nd Lt. in the U.S. Army Reserve and was first assigned to the Army Reserve's 421st Quartermaster Company (Light Airdrop Supply), based in Fort Valley, Ga.

Most of Sgt. Wood's career involved special operations, including command of various companies and detachments. He joined the Florida Army National Guard in April 2002. He served as surgeon with the 3rd Battalion, 20th Special Forces Group until December 2002.

Sgt. Wood resigned his rank of Major in December 2002 to become a medical sergeant beginning 2003 until July 2003 when the unit deployed. He deployed as a medical sergeant with Detachment 2092, Company C, 3rd Battalion, 20th Special Forces Group.

Sgt. Wood was offered a position to deploy as a Major when his unit was called to active duty but chose to deploy as a Sergeant so he could be
in an operational detachment - A team.

At the time of his death, Sgt. Wood was pending appointment as a Special Forces warrant officer which would have enabled him to serve his team as an assistant detachment commander.

Sgt. Wood left his civilian career as an emergency physician with Lee Memorial Hospital, Ft. Myers, Fla., where he had worked since March 2000. He previously served as an emergency physician in North
Carolina, Georgia and various locations in Florida.

Sgt. Wood's military awards and decorations include Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal, Army Reserve Achievement Medal with
silver hour glass device, National Defense Service Medal, Army Service Ribbon, Basic Airborne Badge, Parachute Rigger Badge, Special Forces Tab, Ranger Tab, and Joint Meritorious Unit Emblem.

Sgt. Wood's key military education includes the U.S. Army Ranger Course, Infantry Officer Advanced Course, Special Forces Detachment Officer
qualification course, Advanced Airborne Course, and Quartermaster Officer Basic Course.

Sgt. Wood graduated from Dixie County High School in Cross City, Fla. He received a bachelor's degree in biology from Mercer University in Macon, Ga. and a doctor of medicine degree from the University of Miami School of Medicine in Miami, Fla. He completed medical internship at Miami's Jackson Memorial Hospital, a medical residency at Atlanta's
Grady Memorial Hospital, and was board certified as an emergency medicine physician by the American Board of Emergency Physicians.

Sgt. Wood was involved in the community as a Master Mason, National Sojourner, Heroes of '76 and ARABA Shrine Temple.

Sgt. Wood is survived by his wife, Hana, son (6) and daughter (3).

"There are no words to describe the loss we have experienced, "as stated in a family release today. "Roy was a great father, husband, soldier
and friend. He deeply loved his wife and two children.

He was one of those rare people in life who truly has a passion for what they do. He had a calling and that calling was to help other people. Whether working as a Special Forces medic in Afghanistan or as a civilian doctor in Fort Myers, Roy was a dedicated person.

He was a true patriot and soldier who loved working with the men in his Special Forces team. In fact, last year he resigned as a Major and became a sergeant in order to continue working as a Special Forces
medic.

As a doctor he not only touched the lives of his patients but his coworkers too.

He believed in what the United States was doing in Afghanistan. So much in fact that on his own time he helped build a clinic in Afghanistan for people he would never meet. He was that type of person - he cared.

We love him and he will truly be missed."

As you can see this man did not necessarily have to serve his country. Instead he chose to be there becuase he was fully qualified.

On a side note his Son's 7TH Birthday was this past week. Although he would have missed it anyway now there will neer be another one for either. :(

Just wanted ya'll to see the types of individuals we are losing over there. Thank you for your time and respect.

Blue Skies - Black Death Brother,

SGT Fay, Keith E.
FLARNG, 3/20 SFG(A)
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

I would like to add that after working with the 20th SFG in Afghan, that they are a great unit and even better soldiers. He will be sorely missed by all that new him
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

This post is a tribute to a very good Man. A
Florida Army National Guard Sgt. Roy Alvin Wood, 47, of Alva, Fla., located east of Ft. Myers, died Jan. 9 in Kabul, Afghanistan.

What an incredible guy.

Go easy bro

SSG bozo USAR

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

A great example of a true patriot! I'm proud to call him brother! My prayers are with his family!

What a terrible loss to his family and the SF community. The 20th group is filled with guys like this. Guys who give a rats ass about what's on their collar, just wanting to stay "in the mix" as long as possible. Fuckin-A right! You wouldn't believe the amount of federal agents, police chiefs, architects, doctors and lawyers that spend their weekends with NCO rank on their collars at drill and on world-wide deployments. That vast wealth of knowledge really makes for first rate problem solving.

I spend all but two years of my carreer as a special forces NCO (18C and 18F) and my dad is the retired CSM of the 1/20th SFG. It's a fantastic unit.

Chuck Blue, SFC (ret)
1/7 SFG(A) 84-91, 2/3 SFG(A) 91-98, 2/1 SWTG(A) 98-03