Jimbo

To Infinity, and Beyond!

I've been thinking lately about Bush's moon base, the recent trips (unmanned) to Mars, the Space Station, the space program in general. What is the benefit that these programs provide? I understand the benefit that satilites provide, what about everything else that we're doing up there?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

You know, a lot of folks thought the exploration of the seas were asinine during the 15th and 16th century. You know what happened there, right?

Yup you guessed it, we discovered Aztec gold, got rich and ruined an entire civilization, so lets keep up the tradition and find that gold!

(ok, the second paragraph is a joke, but I'm serious in the first one).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Maybe eventually we are all going to nuke the hell out of each other and it will be nice to have a "Noahs Ark" on mars or the moon to save life.

As long as those 'lifes' are not politicians :)

What Jesus blatantly fails to appreciate is that it's the meek who are the problem.

Name the movie and get a gold star...
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

It is my understanding that a great many things we take for granted day-to-day came out of space exploration.

I'm not sure Velcro is one of these, but I think it is.
I'm pretty sure microwave ovens are.
Saran wrap may be another, but I live without it OK.
Kevlar may be another product of space racing. This may include some of the other materials we use for suspension lines.

Of course, I'm still waiting for the big one: super-cheap rides to altitude. Space racing involves a lot of trying to send things into the air faster, safer, and cheaper, and we're all about that!

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Microwaves are not from the space program.

Its from the defense program and they were an accident.

The short story is an engineer with Raytheon accidently melted a Hersey's candy bar in his shirt pocket while near some microwave equipment (apparently used in radar and such things), got a crazy idea and got Raytheon to make a few of them.

This was in 1958 if I remember correctly. The units cost a bit over $14k to make and took a shitload of power. They were also using VERY powerful microwave emmiters to do the job.

The CEO's wife had one and loved it.

It just took time for the technology to get smaller (it was the size of a refridgerator and required extra plumming to cool the device) and more cost efficient.

Thus now, you can pick one up for under $50.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i dunno. maybe Bush just thinks stars are pretty.

And they're so shiney!! :)

not the ones that are stuck to your ceiling the glow in the dark silly...
the stars that we gotta go at night time to fly to 'cause they're so hot to the touch during the day!;)

I think it's just basic human nature. We are explorers, we like to push limits. JFK, he nailed it when he said something to the effect of "we choose to go to the moon. we choose to do it not because it is easy but because it is hard".
The technology that we have is (comparatively) way better than what we had when we sent men to the moon.
Is it going to be expensive? Absolutely. Are people going to get hurt and killed in the exploration of space? Most likely, but I believe that they understand the risks. There are many things to be gained from the exploration of space, and aside from the technology that will be developed, and aside from the sheer "how cool is that?" factor, I think that ultimately, it will bring us all closer together by (hopefully) working together.
Just my $0.02

Mars yes, Moon no. Having an atmosphere sort of helps with your stability. I've been thinking that it would be SO cool to be the first person to skydive on Mars.B|

edit:
Rats. After checking the facts, it seems that the atmosphere on Mars is really thin. Probably not much better than no atmosphere at all.

And, of course, in addition to helping with stability, an atmosphere is rather vital to the functioning of your parachute...

It is my understanding that a great many things we take for granted day-to-day came out of space exploration.

I'm not sure Velcro is one of these, but I think it is.
I'm pretty sure microwave ovens are.
Saran wrap may be another, but I live without it OK.
Kevlar may be another product of space racing. This may include some of the other materials we use for suspension lines.

Of course, I'm still waiting for the big one: super-cheap rides to altitude. Space racing involves a lot of trying to send things into the air faster, safer, and cheaper, and we're all about that!

Don't forget " Tang " and all those wonderfull products they sell on late night television. All NASA space age technology.

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "