skybytch

work!

Okay, if you haven't figured it out yet, this is lisa... I decided to use my real name as my nick here now ;-)
Well I made it through my first day back to work... It was great! Unless you've spent a couple of months stuck at home you can't imagine how happy I was this morning - I got to sit down at my desk and answer phones and type emails...
lisa

Had a "bit" of back trouble... like one completely destroyed disc and another well on it's way to destruction. So I got cut open, cleaned out and some new bone added first of the year. Back to work is step one on the way to getting back in the AIR! And I sell parachutes for a living so it's not like I really Work, y'know?? :-)
lisa

you know girl they have some new surgical techniques for that, like microsurgery where they don't even have to cut you open. but they don't do it in a lot of places (like they only do it in a few cities nationwide). i didn't know any of this back when you had your surgery. my mom has a f***ed up cervical disc and we just found out about this from the internet. i know it doesn't help you now, but if this is a recurring problem and you ever have to have this type of surgery again, let me know. it is an endoscopic technique.
congrats on getting back to work, now work on getting back to jumping! the skies miss you!
blue ones
sis

I'd heard about that too sis, but no way would my HMO cover something like that! I'm glad I had it done even though I'll never wear a bikini again (you should see my scar!!! soon as I get my new puter I'll post a pic of it rofl!) and I'm hoping and exercising toward NEVER having to go through surgery again... I swear I was more scared going into surgery than I was climbing out of a plane the first time.
Hope your mom gets better without having to go under the knife! Let me know if you find out more about the microsurgery; my mom's looking at her third fusion right now :-(
pull n flare,
lisa

I'm, glad you gack in the groove at work, Lisa. I had a disc that was characterized as "buldging" (jamming my sciatic nerve)... the procedure I had (in about 1992 or so) was called a "Percutaneous Discectomy" where they did the microsurgery thing - inserted a tube in my back, and using a video camera, inserted the little tools, shaved off the part of the disc that was causing the problem, vaccummed out the shavings, then withdrew the tube. I was awake the whole time, and walked out of the hospital 2 hours later. I had seen neurosurgeons who wanted to carve me up like a Thanksgiving turkey, but this procedure was the best option I found by a mile! Still get a sore back now and then, but hey! I can skydive without worry these days!!! How soon 'till you're back in the air?
Frank

I'm hoping to be back in the air by early summer. My doc is already surprised that I've insisted I need to be back to work; apparently most of his patients prefer to sit back and collect disability. His nurse told me that the people who get back into their lives quick are the ones who heal best so....
Had my primary care doc sent me to a real doctor last spring when all this started they might have been able to do the same thing you had... but that wasn't my luck! By the time I finally saw my neurosurgeon the disc between S1 and L5 was so far gone and my lower spine was so unstable that opening me up was the only real option to make the pain go away.
pull n flare,
lisa

What Frank was talking about is the same procedure I was discussing. In the neck its called Cervical Endoscopic Disectomy...in the back it would be called Lumbar Endoscopic Disectomy. None of the neurosurgeons here do it so my mom is going to have to get a referral elsewhere...after they brilliantly conclude physical therapy isn't going to to shit!
Sis

Hay Lisa!!
I remember your post from months back and am glad your doin well!!!!! I blew my back out years back and the best it ever felt was while in school and took a PE class for an easy credit,,, swimming,, 3 days a week we swam a mile,, my back never felt better and in the Fall for skiing I could go non stop top ta bottom w/o stopping all day on my first day, wasn't sore later and never outta breath,, just a thought,, it works all the muscle groups that support your spine w/o impact, your CV system, and probably ya could get your doc and even an HMO to pay for your membership,, Now ya should also get the doc ta get the HMO ta get ya a hot tub/jacuzzi for your rehab!! Just pursue the shit outta that and do some research on it,, them friggin HMO's will fight ya and if ya persist it could eventually pay off,, then send us all a pict of how well you doin!!
Good luck, Blues, and Sweet Dreams!!
Billy

Ok, why reply to this post that is three years old?

I dunno. But I appreciate it. Brings back some good memories at a time when I could use 'em.

Course it also points out that it's only been three years since my first back surgery and I'm sitting here in pain worrying that I'll have to have another one soon...

Thanks for the Amazonian vibes, Jeanne. :)

Ok, why reply to this post that is three years old?

So she doesn't get smacked by the damn re-post police.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey