PeteH

What's the deal with American titless TV?

In Europe (most) people are ok with nudity and don't make a big deal of it.

This country was settled by many sects of religeous fanatics. The Puritans and their ethos of shame are far too entrenched in this culture. And with the current ascendency of the Religious Right and their judgement of others rather than leaving that judgement to god. Most are SUPER CONTROL freaks and if you do not believe as they do then you are evil.
God created the human form and I for one see that form as a good thing, but too many people are brought up with a belief that to show ones body is shamefull and we are stuck with this censorship by local communities standards of naked bodies being shamefull and sinfull.

On top of that there are even the 7 unspeakable words on tv or radio that can get a radio station fined by the FCC. Violence is ok.. kill off 10 people in an epidsode of some weekly cop show... but god forbid someone say a bad word on TV or Radio or show a breast... or they start yelling its the complete decline of Western Civilization.

I'm curious as to what those seven words are? Fill in the blank numbers, and add any suggestions for words that should be banned, personaly I wish someone would ban Bling, and Bootylicious. >:( Grrr........

1)FU*K
2)CU*T
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I agree with you wholeheartedly on that one. Sounds like you guys got a bit of a situation. So let me get this straight - with the exception of films, ANY swearing of those kinds, nudity etc is a serious no-no?

Christ, bit of a sorry state of affairs [:/]
Would be strange to hear the stand up comedians here in the UK pull off a show without some references to those things :P

'buttplugs? where?' - geno

They've said shit on TV. There was an episode of NYPD Blue that ABC even did commercials about. ABC was advertizing "Your going to have to watch NYPD Blue to see the surpise during prime time"

Then there was the "shit" episode of South Park, they said "shit" over 167 time in the 22 min show. (if I remember correctly) I'm looking it up now :P

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Apparently biggest thing currently in US is that a tit was shown in TV program.
Why is that such a big deal over there

My feeling is that Big Government wants something else to patrol... they already watch the roads, the air, the sea, the internet, food, medicines, beverages, tobacco products, drugs, weapons, alcohol, photography, email, tv programming, radio programming, air pollution, noise pollution, body piercing, tattooing, over seas affairs. And that was in 1976. Imagine what they have their hands in today that we don't know about. They gave us freedom of speach in the first ammendment, then they said "You can't say these words... because they are offensive." And the question of the ages... who says they are offensive? FCC says so, and they are a government office.
I want to move to Canada.

Gotta love George Carlin

his list has grown to over 1000 words... quoted recently on his tour through iowa... some of them are quite interesting if you understand them...

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

Hahah, yeah man! Nudity is very bad, but violence is quite ok. It' something I haven't fully understood, but I gather the answer is in the settling of the US and the settlers themselves.

The US is a study of extremes. On the surface, there is a strong puritan streak. Below it, Americans are just as kinky, if not more so, as your average northern European. Some Americans are prude, but the vast majority I've met haven't been. I wouldn't extrapolate the attempt at keeping TV and movies "clean" (as in no nudity, not as in no graphic violence) to the general attitude towards sex in the US.

Heh, our biggest newspaper has titties on their front page now and then - sometimes it's even the big pic/story in there. No biggie. There are frequently "sexomentaries" on TV, showing weird kinks and fetishes. Boobs (and much more) are shown, but there's no huge outcry. More like a strange curiosity.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

Yeah, they said "Fuck" on South Park as well.

But Nightingale's right. The rules are somewhat relaxed for cable and prime time tv. They used to not be able to say asshole either (they always beeped out "hole"), but now they can sometimes.

Kelly

Why is that such a big deal over there?
In Europe (most) people are ok with nudity and don't make a big deal of it

It's ridiculus....If I want to be topless at a beach I should be allowed to do so. Men can walk around without their shirts on and I can't because my breasts are considered "obscene."

Because it was so utterly tasteless.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Because it was so utterly tasteless.

It's people who spew this stuff that has the US so pent up. blahh It wasn't tasteless, it was a stunt to get them both in the headlines. It's worked.

I suggest you read your Christian Science Monitor and watch the PTL Club. Tammy Faye needs your money......

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

You see nudity and sexuality are evil and need to be hidden from the public. Besides, if we showed nudity on tv when would we have time for all the gratuitous violence?

IMO it's all freakin' backwards.

It is quite a big deal over here in europe as well. It's in all the tabloids.

The big deal is that it was not just any old tit, it was Janet Jackson's tit. Now you can make up your own mind whether a Janet Jackson tit is such a big deal, but, the press in europe thinks it is.

The present attorney general (AG) of the US is a political appointee and is in charge of the "Dept of Justice"

He used to give press conference in the Lobby of their headquarters (standard location befor his time) with a bare breasted female statue in the background.:o

That statue remains but she isn't nude anymore. I don't think it was her choice. Mr Ashcroft spent taxpayers money to get the Hussy covered up.

R.I.P.

Just the other day I heard a joke (I hope it was a joke):

In America, showing a naked body on a TV is a big NO NO, unless the head and the limbs are detached from the torso... :S

LOL!

edit: misspelling

Sadly, this wasn't a joke.

Never go to a DZ strip show.