jsaxton

Sunset Spinetto

Sunset 6way RW, turn and track, throw out.
1,2,3 hey that's not so bad, uh, 5,6,7 oh shit! line twists. Canopy's turning, then it layed on it's nose. FUCK THIS! Tried one hand on each, only got the cutaway out about 3 inches, brought the other hand over to help, got one riser released, gave another shove and cleared the second riser, two hands on the reserve ripcord and rolled over on my belly.
1,2,3 Beautiful white PD reserve :) Followed by freebag down and the main landed about 20 feet away.

Thank you Vic Kruse for saving my life.

Case of beer for the DZ and a bottle of GOOD Tequila for my rigger.

Nowhere near as scary as I thought my first cutaway would be, meby it's because I teach ground school every weekend so I'm current on my emergency procedures.

Anyway next day borrow a rig to do a couple of jumps on, just to get back on the horse. First jump I get 5 line twists but I got out of them. Thought I was going to have back to back chops for a second there.

Ah JS!! [:/] Sorry to hear that!

I woulda freaked out...my mal was left side in a tension knot around the slider whipped me into a spiral...a lot of G's, but didn't 'feel' high speed at all. Time slowed down for me.

Serious, I would have had to concentrate hard if I was spun up in line twists...the most I've ever experienced was 1 1/2. (I don't fly those fancy-pants canopies though and never will.) :)
Glad you did the right thing JS and are healthy and happy! ;) -I miss ya in the Pub! :(
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Glad you made it bro.

I was a fool the first time that I had a good spinner on my heatwave and fought it all the way to make it a really close call.. Mine was a night jump and I landed fine but Never again I say.

I travel the land, Work in the ocean, Play in the sky

How long since the cables had been cleaned and the 3-rings disassembled and massaged?

Edit: Even from the manufacturer, the cutaway cables should be cleaned and coated with Silicone Lubricant (Ace Pure Silicone Libricant works very well). Cutaway forces should never exceed 22 pounds, same as the reserve w/o the seal.

Derek

Derek

Yep, late model wings with hard inserts, besides, the twists didn't make it into the risers, they stoped at the top of the risers.

Any idea what made the cutaway so hard, then?

(I don't fly those fancy-pants canopies though and never will.)

Is that a brand name? Sounds foreign.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

the most I've ever experienced was 1 1/2. (I don't fly those fancy-pants canopies though and never will.)

Line twists can happen in old dungaree pants canopies, too. I had ludicrous line twists - pinned my head down - in a spectre 230....while I was not spinning (thank you God), I did have a problem on my hands. Managed to address it before I had to cut (well, I shoulda cut, but that's a different thread...;)) and landed fairly well.

Just be aware that it can happen to you, too....

Good job on the cut, JS! Well done!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Sunset 6way RW,

It was a seven way.

And you went to the wrong slot, Mr Air-Awareness.

BTW, the cutaway force was probably pretty much standard for the type of problem you had. It's your first, so you didn't have much to base it on for comparisson. I've had quite a few, and the difference between cutting away away something like a streamer (relatively easy), and a developed spin on an eliptical is night and day. It only takes one or two revolutions to build up very significant cutaway forces. That's one of the reaons I use an RSL. I know there's debate about that, but that's another thread. I like to have the options to get both hands to the pad if needed.

That's what I was thinking, just required more force than I was used to exerting when I pull handles on the ground. I'm sure that there were no problems with the rig. I'm totally happy with the rig and would recommend the superior comfort and fit of a Wings harness/container system to anyone!

Hey I didn't see no beer>:(
Good lookin' cut away though!
it turned in to a nice streamer before you got it all the way off too!;)
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Way to go Jeff on your first! I thought you had other cutaways before this one.

It was actually very entertaining on the ground....

" uh-oh, that doesn't look good. cutaway! "

" Damn, that looks harsh.... oh good - cutaway and reserve is out. "

I saw the whole thing from the ground, and it looked like you handled it pretty good and pretty fast.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

I'm totally happy with the rig and would recommend the superior comfort and fit of a Wings harness/container system to anyone!

I bet that does not sound quite as good when you say it as when Gareth does...

Good jopb on the chop....I would hate not having you around to taunt in the Pub at night.:P

Why did you try one hand on each? Is that what you teach your students? Do you think you're cool now?

I'm out of the country for one week and I miss all the fun! Since I wasn't there to harrass you in person, I'm making up for it now!

Of my eight reserve rides, only one was a one handed cut-away. Lessons learned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!