Airviking

Crazy to consider an F-111 canopy?

My budget for used gear is <$3,000. (Spending money I don't have:|). Now I'm seeing things show up for considerably less.

There's a rig listed, built in '96 but with only 200 jumps. It's got a 215ft Falcon. $1,200

The last canopy I owned was a Pegasus, which was the standard workhorse back then.

Am I crazy to consider this rig?
I believe you have my stapler.

I wouldn't want an F111 main.
Cant say if that rig is worthwhile without a lot more details
on container, reserve. I'm assuming no AAD at that price?

for 3000 you coud do pretty well if you shop carefully and arent in too big a rush
__

My mighty steed

F-111 type material canopies are still viable. They just don't have the same length of service as a Zero P type. But still a very jump-able canopy and used by many still.

If your happy with its size a over all condition (ask your local rigger for help) go for it. use it learn with it and have fun while being safe.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I don't think it's crazy at all. My first canopy was a PD 9-cell. I bought it for $350. It worked fine. Opened firmly and took good timing on landing, but it was safe and got me in the air. I replaced it with a used Sabre2 when I had ~200 jumps (and a real job) and still jump that Sabre2, nearly 2000 jumps later.

My DZ has a few people jumping F111 canopies. One has been passed on to new jumpers over and over. It's a PD-190 that seems to land a lot better than mine every did. And then there's the one in the attached picture. That guy paid more for the gold chain around his neck than his entire rig. And it works just fine for him. And makes everyone else thirsty for some reason.

I'd recommend trying anything before you buy it. And have a rigger take a look and make sure you'll get more than 50 jumps out of it.

Dave

Am I crazy to consider this rig?

No. As long as a rigger you trust gives it an ok you aren't crazy.

Keep in mind that the container won't be "freefly friendly", but that probably is ok with you.

Keep in mind that the canopy will wear out fairly quickly (compared to ZP).

At that price I'm guessing that there's no AAD.

Are those tradeoffs you are willing to make for the price? (that's a rhetorical queation by the way)

And you might check around a little more. $1,200 for something that old sounds a little high (although the reserve and the possibility of an AAD may make it worth it, there's not really enough info to say).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Depends on how many jumps are on it. The biggest downside you're facing is that the size you're looking for is very popular; lots of people buying their first rigs go for the same size.

And I completely agree with investing money into jumps instead of gear.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Since at 195 lbs bodyweight you'd be loading the main at it's limit if not over, I wouldn't.

That's a very good point. Where can I find weight limits for these canopies? The manufacturer's website do not have them.

You do not want to load any F111 main over 1:0, and preferably you want to be at .8 or so.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Since at 195 lbs bodyweight you'd be loading the main at it's limit if not over, I wouldn't.

That's a very good point. Where can I find weight limits for these canopies? The manufacturer's website do not have them.

You do not want to load any F111 main over 1:0, and preferably you want to be at .8 or so.

Oh... Is that why my Stratostar never felt right? (And that one was leakier than F-111)B|

I would wait for something that you want rather than something that will do the job. i was able to pickup a mirage g3 with sabre2 190 with an aad fresh from it's first 4 year service with two altimiters (digitude, and altimaster) AND a protrack. also included was a gear bag, and a Z1 helmet that was only jumped once
all for $2800 and the guy also paid for the repack and i picked it up from my rigger.

(the guy left the sport)

keep in touch with your rigger or any known brokers on the DZ and you'll get hooked up

I jumped a Falcon I bought off this site for about 100 jumps, bought it for $250. Was the shizzle to pack, real nice. Landings were OK with any headwind but started to really suck w/ no-wind conditions. (lack of flare power)I replaced it only because dacron lines were getting too fuzzy/worn and bought a crispy new Triathlon. I almost cried trying to pack the Triathlon thing the first 12 jumps or so.(never owned a new chute before) I would say the Falcon is fine, but doesnt have a coolness factor at all. I always rolled the nose however on the Falcon as that and the old PD 9 cells open crisply.

I would wait for something that you want rather than something that will do the job. i was able to pickup a mirage g3 with sabre2 190 with an aad fresh from it's first 4 year service with two altimiters (digitude, and altimaster) AND a protrack. also included was a gear bag, and a Z1 helmet that was only jumped once
all for $2800 and the guy also paid for the repack and i picked it up from my rigger.

(the guy left the sport)

keep in touch with your rigger or any known brokers on the DZ and you'll get hooked up

WOW! :o Yeah, I gotta cool it, and wait for the right gear

(the guy left the sport)

WOW! :o Yeah, I gotta cool it, and wait for the right gear

Don't get me wrong, deals like this don't happen everyday. I was VERY lucky. Just make sure to keep in contact with the people who know people so when they hear of something they think of you right away.

Good luck!

Hi Dave,

That's an old coors team canopy from the middle '80s. I used to have one. I bought it used for $100. I landed fine. I think it was a Mike Fury canopy. Wild... something I think.

I left mine in Minnesota when I moved to Korea. Maybe this is the one. I told my roommate to just give it away!
That was 8.5 years ago!

The value of a rig decreases by about 10% every year. For a 1996 the value of such a rig is 90% to the power 14 (2010 - 1996 = 14 years) which makes about 23% of the value for the same rig bought today. The value also depends on the shape of that rig. If that rig now would cost 4000.00$ brand new, the rig you are talking about value should be 4000.00$ x 0.23 = 915.00$
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

There is nothing wrong with F111 as long as the canopy isnt worn out and you have a light wing-loading. I mean - I have 7000+
jumps, own way too many frigging rigs - ranging in size from 99 to 150 sq ft (out the door I'm probably 160 lbs) and my favorite main on no-wind days is an F111 PD150..

Its great - I love it - I swear it has an autopilot - I look up and I say fly me home - and its so frigging docile it goes where it needs to go and lands me beautifully :-) I don't even have to steer :-)

As long as the canopy is not worn out or overloaded, there is nothing wrong with F111 mains. I jump mine regularly..

one thing i gotta mention is for a newer jumper, f111 is so much easier to get familiar packing with. i learned how to pack my 220 raider and then i tried a zp(can't remember what) and wow. tried 3 times before i gave up, i wasn't jumping it, just packing. something to think about. and also, anyone considering base, a 7 cell f111 is the way to go for a first rig.
http://kitswv.com

I've got a Saber 1 @150 you can HAVE for the price of the postage stamp.

I only stopped jumping it this year when I bought a new canopy - so it should be O.K

It stood me in very good stead so I have no problems passing it on if it helps someone out.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Dude, you can get a good deal without going the F111 route. In fact, I bought my first rig from a dude on this site. It was an old Javelin, Sabre, Tempo. Granted it's not the pimpest setup...but it worked great and only cost me 1K. I put ~300 jumps on it and sold it for 1.2K. There's a shit ton of used gear out there and good deals to be had. Keep searching, don't get gear that you're not going to be happy with. Keep in mind, you may only be using it for a year...two tops before you get something a bit smaller and faster. With that, you need to think about resale. If you get an old F111, you may be stuck with it FOREVER!
Truth is the distilled meaning of facts, for any truth refuted by a fact becomes a fallacy.

This thread's been open for a while, and what I got from it is that "you get what you pay for".

Anyway, right now I'm deep into a deal on a 210 Spectre. 400 jumps, new lines. I think that this will be ideal for me: big ol' skytruck like my old Pegasus. The 400 jumps should help with the packability.