JohnRich

Gun Psychobabble

From the Seattle Post, Dr. Joyce Brothers:

Owning guns helps erase feelings of inferiority

DEAR DR. BROTHERS:
"My husband and I live in a gated community that could hardly be safer. This choice of a place to live was mine, incidentally, not his. We both work at jobs in a nearby city, and we're not threatened in any unusual way. Our offices are pleasant and in good areas. What I'm trying to figure out is why my husband needs so many guns. He's an old Army guy, but none of his friends seems to have this particular fascination with guns, so I don't think that explains it. I bring this up now because he told me recently that he found two more he's going to buy from yet another gun dealer. They're not cheap, and we could use that money to clean up some of our bills." -- E.C.

DEAR E.C.:
"Gun ownership is extremely important to some people, and often they're not aware of why. To most, the gun means added power, something that erases all feelings of inferiority, weakness, vulnerability and impotence. It's not irrelevant that guns, in themselves, are so frequently linked to sexuality and the male sex organ. Think of the many slang terms common to both sex and guns, and the relationship becomes obvious. Guns have been accurately called 'the great equalizer.'

"Some of this exaggerated need for protection -- and fear of what might happen were they not to have this -- might have been carried over from experiences in early childhood, at a time when they truly were weak, small and vulnerable to attack. If a boy were abused or brutalized in his youth by bullies or by bullying parents, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that he might still bear feelings of anger and resentment and a desire for an assurance that no one could ever humiliate or hurt him again."

Seattle Post

While I generally do not respect the views of Dr. Laura, I have to sort of come to her "defense" on this in that this is not exactly an orginal concept and that this is probably something she's read several times by several authors in some pop-psy rags.

It -IS- a generally accepted notion in pop-psy circles.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

While I generally do not respect the views of Dr. Laura, I have to sort of come to her "defense" on this in that this is not exactly an orginal concept and that this is probably something she's read several times by several authors in some pop-psy rags.

It is Dr. Joyce Brothers, rather than Dr. Laura.

And it shows how far out of touch with reality some of these "doctor's" are.

I have never read such a big pile of bullshit in my life. I wonder how much she spent on her degree to write that nonsense? Man what a waste of money and oxygen. That money could have bought a lot of guns and saved the world of one more ignorant waste of spavce on this earth.B|

"when I die, I want to go like my grandfather while im sleeping, not like the passengers riding in the car with me
Swoopster
A.S.S. #6 Future T.S.S holder

Sorry I dont mean disrespect to anyone, I just dont understand where some of the views that deal with firearms and weapons in general come from. Its obvious that she knows nothing about guns, apparent she does not own one, and certainly has no motives of purchasing one. Guns are a touchy subject it seems lately, and unfortunantly there popularity amongst the general public seems to be falling. When most people hear the word gun on televisioin, or read about it in the newspapers they automatically assume that there was a robbery, or violence, a killing etc etc. Its just like our sport, the general public knows nothing about our sport, but from tv or newspapers they assume its a deadly sport. Look at real tv for god sakes LMAO, thats howe things get blown out of proportion and end up where they are today. Its a shame realy, she was probably top of her class too:)

"when I die, I want to go like my grandfather while im sleeping, not like the passengers riding in the car with me
Swoopster

I think once you shoot my .40 you will change your mind. I really hate to see you watse money on a glock when you can have so much nicer for just a little more. Hey by the way, I bought a .450 marlin you gotta check it out

Swoopster

I've got a couple of 9mm's Gock's. Less expensice to shoot, can still get 32 round magazines, very few parts so it's easy to take apart & clean.

Since I'm not a cop or need a gun for work, I'm not concerned about stopping power. Just want to punch holes in the center of the paper plate.

BTW washingtom state is a "right to carry state" In seatlle if you want to carry a concealed weapon and have a clean record getting a permit is no problem.

I let my permit exoire since I never carried a concealed weapon. The crime rate in seattle is minimal. We don'yt need to go to the bad parts of town and and have other means of defence.

R.I.P.

sounds like a great big bunch of bullshit

No, all those factors do seem to play a part in /some/ people's desire to own guns, BUT she forgot one other vary important thing. We humans seem to have an inborn instinct to collect things, So with this urge, you can have a person who is by the current definition perfectly adjusted, and who just chose guns as their choice of collector's item.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

sounds like a great big bunch of bullshit

because IT IS a great big bunch of bullshit
I am the proud owner of a few guns myself....does this mean I am also feeling weak about my inferior,impotent male sex organ?? But wait! I'm a girl!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------
Just remember.....if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

It's not irrelevant that guns, in themselves, are so frequently linked to sexuality . . .

"Not tonight dear, it's the gun's turn."

there were a few times where the gun would have been soo much more fun!

--------------------------------------------------
Just remember.....if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.