JohnRich

Women and Guns

I don't own a gun.

Not saying that I never will though. First time I ever fired a gun was in the military. So I don't have a problem with them.

I have 3 yr old boys at home and I will eventually educate them about guns. Like someone else said, they can either learn from me, from TV or other kids. I'd rather have my guys already know about them then to be the kid wondering "What does this do?"

I live just outside of a big city and a little too close to the things that keep cops busy. I will have one in my home and will most likely get a permit to carry, I have no problems using it if I need to.

BettyAnn

Getting married? Check out my website!

I own several. I grew up in rural america. I learned to shoot and if I had found that I liked game meat I would have hunted but I'm an animal lover and don't like any wild meat that I've ever tasted. I have shot skeet and just did alot of target practice. I also used to go on overnight camping/horseback riding trips and went out into back woods alone and I did carry a gun with me at that time.

I wouldn't shoot bambi but I would certainly shoot any person who backed me into the corner and I had turned it into a him/her or me situation.

I used to own a ridiculous number of guns with an ex-husband who was a collector and dealer. Now I only have one pistol and one rifle (which was a handed down two generations to me).

yes, i do own several guns and handguns, such as a shotgun for hunting birds, rabbits etc.. Furthermore Mauser and other long rifles for hunting deer etc. in Europe. I am a licensed hunter and still love hunting.

As I am hunting in Africa too (Cameroon), I own 2 long rifles with calibres such like Holland & Holland .500. my favourite handgun is S & W magnum .375 which i like to train in a shooting club of big calibres.

in Germany, it is very hard to do such a license which normal people only enables to purchase guns and handguns and bullets [:/]

there is only a small percentage of female hunters. :(

it takes about 8 months of extremely hard lessons, training courses, ending with several examinations. if you fail one of them, you have to repeat the whole story again the next year. it's a very hard, expensive and long way to the license. After all is done successfully, you're a poor man w/o a home and don't know where to place your gun !B|
your wife is gone, you job is lost.... it's like only living for skydiving!!B|

so, this is my reason for owning weapons, only to kill animals. in hunters' world also do exist "whuffos", treating me same way like in skydiving. but who cares ? B|

:D

dudeist skydiver # 3105

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact that I could probably drop an intruder with one shot has nothing to do with it.

------------------------------

But not with a .22

A .22 will drop an intruder just as fast as a 9mm or 38 will if you hit them in the heart or the head.

It used to be a favorite weapon that 'mafia' types used for executions. You shoot the person in the back of the head, it enters but doesn't have the force to exit most of the time so richochets around in there. Very inexpensive and less messy, I guess.

It used to be a favorite weapon that 'mafia' types used for executions. You shoot the person in the back of the head, it enters but doesn't have the force to exit most of the time so richochets around in there. Very inexpensive and less messy, I guess.

I'd heard that the reasoning behind using a 22 was that the bullet would break up and deform so badly that it couldn't be matched to a specific gun. Interesting, if true. :)

I own several guns, it's a family thing, and a hobbie. It's also for self defense.

I have a Walther PPK, a 22, and 2 shotguns. I target practice all the time....hopefully be a marksman one day...very close in training.

I always keep a gun in my car.:$

in Germany, it is very hard to do such a license which normal people only enables to purchase guns and handguns and bullets

Wow, I am amazed to hear how difficult it is in Germany to get a hunting license. Thanks for that story.

Here in the U.S., hunting is a very common thing.

From the 1994 Statistical Abstracts:

Table 401: 31.3 million hunting licenses sold in 1992. However, persons who hunted in two or more states are counted two or more times, as are persons who bought migratory waterfowl stamps.

Table 402, with survey data for 1991, lists:

14,063,000 total hunters, made up of:
10,745,000 big game hunters
7,642,000 small game hunters
3,009,000 migratory bird hunters
1,411,000 "other animal" hunters

Table 390: (for 1992): 16,962,000 visitor days; hunting in national
forests in states which have Forest Service Recreation Programs.

Table 406: (for 1992): (from a poll of 10,000 households)
- 17,819,000 persons hunted with firearms (15th rank among selected sports)
- 12,309,000 persons participated in target shooting (20th rank)

there is only a small percentage of female hunters.

Here in the U.S. those numbers are growing rapidly.

From research done by "Shooting Sports USA", published December, 1996, for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, increases from 1988 to 1993:

- Female shotgunners increased 79% to 743,000.
- Female handgun target shooters increased 26% to 3,178,000.
- Female rifle target shooters increased 9% to 2,308,000.
- Female firearm hunters increased 23% to 2,556,000.
- Women now represent 13% of the overall hunting population.
- Female sporting clay shooters increased 100% to 440,000.
- Female trap and skeet shooters increased 36% to 415,000.

Here's a web site on the subject:
Women Hunters

I answered no – because I live in the UK and it would be illegal for me to do so.

Does this mean that you would like to own a gun, but can't because of the law?

I believe only handguns and semi-auto long guns have been outlawed. You can still own single shot rifles and shotguns. But even for those, there is a lot of paperwork to do, and requirements to satisfy.

And they're on their way to outlawing BB guns and even non-firing replicas of firearms.

It's too bad that your government doesn't trust law-abiding people to safely own firearms, because of the criminal acts of just two people.

Please remember that you are a guest in this forum. You are not supposed to be louder than the women. You have 12 posts already on here. If you would like to keep posting to this thread, I can move it to Talkback.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Please remember that you are a guest in this forum. You are not supposed to be louder than the women. You have 12 posts already on here. If you would like to keep posting to this thread, I can move it to Talkback.

All I am doing is providing helpful information based upon what the gal's say...

if i were to be in a situation where i had to shoot an intruder, my intention wouldnt be to kill him/her. it would be to stop them from doing whatever it is they were doing. to keep them from being able to harm me and on the ground long enough for the cops to show up. of course, there are exceptions...but no need to go into that here. i dont own a gun because i want to kill people. i own one for protection. murder isnt protection. the only time ive shot a gun with the intention of killing anything was when i was deer hunting.
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

A well placed shot with a .22 would likely stop an intruder. I didn't say kill.

If your intention is not to kill the intruder what's the point in shooting him in the first place?

To stop him from intruding any further.

I see no need to kill anyone who isn't actively trying to kill me.

The reason I don't own a gun, is because I wouldn't want to live with the possibility that I could take another human beings life, or more importantly put myself in a position where someone could use my own weapon to take mine.

The likelihood of a well placed .22 caliber round stopping anyone is small. It's probably going to just piss the intruder off resulting in his retaliation against you.

If you really want to deter an intruder, get a dog (or a bigger gun).

The likelihood of a well placed .22 caliber round stopping anyone is small. It's probably going to just piss the intruder off resulting in his retaliation against you.

Six well placed rounds should do the trick. ;)

Hey, one well placed .22 caliber round stopped a rabid skunk...

I do have a dog. If I could afford a bigger gun I'd get one. Until then I'll just have to keep kidding myself into thinking that my little plinker might be enough to keep someone from harming me.