Lee03

Retrosexual, new movement for MEN!

There is an old saying: "be careful what you wish for, it might come true!" I blame the "feminists", feminazis if you will, and the general demands from women to "tame" men, to demand that men not be real men. You considered men unnecessary, didn't need men. All this bullshit. "Men are stupid", "boys lie" etc, etc. You've bashed men, railed against men, hated men, well, guess what? You got what you wished for, from a large section of the male population! Now you hear women whinning about how there are no real men, "where are the real men" You called men chavnist pigs when the tried to be gentelmen and open doors for you, pulled the chair out for you. you laughed at the old fashon ways. You didn't appreciate being up on the pedestal. You have reaped what you sowed! You've made you bed, now quit whnning and lay in it!

hmmmm....so shall we, also, discuss the generalities that men make about women? If so, we can go down this whole path about how women don't like "x" about men and men don't like "y" about women, and yadda yadda yadda.

The "Real" men/women are individuals that listen to what someone says, respects their wishes and act accordingly. Just because a man opens a door for a woman (although I personally love it) or pulls out a chair or..., does not make him a real man.

A real man will be willing to talk, listen, and discuss things. Real men do not have to be cave men nor do they have to be "feminine." Real men are comfortable with who they are, are comfortable in their masculinity, and are not afraid to be who they are. And, real men are not afraid to show emotion.

Don't put me or anyone for that matter on a pedestal. Be real...be aware that men and women have faults and everyone will have different faults. No one is perfect and putting someone on a pedestal hurts both parties when the individual on the pedestal "falls" off because they do not meet the expectations of them.

As far as not needing men - you're right. Women do not need men. Men do not need women. Each gender is quite capable of doing tasks that the 1950's culture said was "male/female" tasks (excluding obvious ones like procreation). Men and women want the opposite (or in some cases the same) gender in their life. And personally, I'd rather have someone want me in their life - a choice - than need me in their life as a need can be fulfilled and once it's fulfilled what need is there to stay in the person's life?
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Just my luck. I like taking baths and wearing cologne, now it's going out of style.

Oh well, I guess we will have new fashion police to tell us what makes us men instead of the old ones. It saves me the trouble of thinking for myself.

Hopefully it will be clear because we'll have tv ads to tell us like Levis or the Marlboro man. ;)

Well, I'm bored, so I'll play along....

Real men of the world, stand up, scratch your butt, your balls, fart, belch

I do this all the time - just not anyplace where it's inappropriate.

A Retrosexual, no matter what the women insists, PAYS FOR THE DAMN DATE.
A Retrosexual opens doors for a lady. Even for the ones that fit that term
only because they are female.

So women should let you do what you want to do, even if it's not what they want? Is this cultural rape? "Dammit woman! I'm paying for the goddam dinner!" isn't any better than "Why isn't my goddam dinner ready yet?!" You're trying to "...put a woman in her place" That's wrong, any way you look at it. If a woman likes that kind of stuff, then fine - but don't try to force it on her. Have you ever had a female insist on paying for your dinner when you went out? Why did you object? Did you feel like it made you less of a person? Did it make you feel less powerful or in control? Did you feel embarassed when the waiter came to get the check, and saw it was her credit card? Do you realize there's women out there who feel the exact same way? And you're forcing them to feel like that every time you go out. But hey, gotta keep them in their place, right?

A Retrosexual DEALS with shit. Be it a flat tire, break-in into your home,
or a natural disaster, you DEAL WITH IT.

Any human being over the age of 18 should be able to do this.

A Retrosexual not only eats red meat, he often kills it himself.

Why does what you eat or where you get it from define you as a person? I haven't killed my own food in years. Even then, I hunted for fun, not to survive. We haven't had to do that in centuries.

A Retrosexual doesn't worry about living to be 90. It's not how long you
live, but how well. If you're 90 years old and still smoking cigars and
drinking, I salute you.

Something I agree with! I'd rather live to 60 having fun with life, than live to 90 trying to do everything right. That being said, there's nothing wrong with trying to take care of yourself so you can be around longer for the people you love, who love you.

A Retrosexual does not use more hair or skin products than a woman.
Women have several supermarket aisles of stuff. Retrosexuals need an end cap
(possibly 2 end caps if you include shaving goods.)
A Retrosexual does not dress in clothes from Hot Topic when he's 30 years
old.

Why not? A friend of mine has really long hair. He's given females conditioning tips before. He likes it to look good, he likes to be able to manage it. That makes him not a 'real man'? I wouldn't call him even close to being 'girly' - he lights his own farts for Christs' sake.

A Retrosexual should know how to properly kill stuff (or people) if need be.
This falls under the "dealing with shit" portion of The Code.

Yes, because "killing stuff" is so hard to do. Again, this isn't dependant of how real of a man you are. Gang members can kill stuff, gay men can kill stuff, woman can kill stuff.

A Retrosexual watches no TV show with "Queer" in the title.
A Retrosexual does not let neighbors screw up rooms in his house on national
TV.

Little homophobic? Will watching the only TV show with "Queer" in the title, turn me into one?! What about Monster House? Is that ok to watch?

A Retrosexual should not give up excessive amounts of manliness for women.
Some is inevitable, but major re-invention of yourself will only lead to you
becoming a froo-froo little puss, and in the long run, she ain't worth it.

No one - straight/gay man/woman should change who they are for their partner. This also depends on your definition of 'manliness' - does belching and farting in public make me a man?

You are NOT allowed to see a shrink because Daddy didn't pay you enough
attention. Daddy was busy DEALING WITH IT. When you screwed up, he DEALT
with you.

So you're saying if you have mental issues you can't deal with - tough shit? I suppose all those guys that came back from are just pussies because they couldn't deal with any mental trauma they experienced there? People who suffer from social disorders, that prevent them from living their life should just off themselves instead? Almost as long as humans have existed, there's been people to talk to, seek council with, confide in, etc.

A Retrosexual will have at least one outfit in his wardrobe designed to
conceal himself from prey.

Should we have war paint at the ready also?
What 'preys' on you in this age? Should I keep my 'urban camouflage' handy in case a gang war springs up in my neighborhood?

A Retrosexual knows how to tie a Windsor knot when wearing a tie.

If you're planning on wearing a tie, you should know how to tie it. Again, why does what you wear define who you are?

A Retrosexual should have at least one good wound he can brag about getting.

Hahah! No, chicks don't really dig scars. Is there any 'good' way to get a wound? Typically, you did something stupid to get it.

A Retrosexual knows how to use a basic set of tools. If you can't hammer a
nail, or drill a straight hole, practice in secret until you can or be
rightfully ridiculed for the wuss you be.

Who can't hammer a nail?? Be proud of yourself - you can use a hammer! One of the oldest and simplest tools mankind knows!

A Retrosexual gives a lady his seat on the bus/subway/etc

If you're capable of standing, you should give your seat to anyone who you think could benefit from it more than you - whether that be an elderly person, pregnant woman, or any man/woman that looks like they could use a good rest.

A Retrosexual knows that owning a gun is not a sign that your are riddled
with fear, guns are TOOLS and are often essential to DEAL WITH IT. Plus it's
just damned fun to shoot.

I'll agree they're damn fun to shoot. But they shouldn't be tools to "deal with it" Violence rarely solves anything, and should be a last resort.

Crying...........

Sigh... so, being an emotional person is a sign of weakness? You're not a man if you cry? That's a natural process for a release of emotion - but you're saying it's wrong?

A retrosexual will have hobbies and habits his wife and mother do not
understand, but that are essential to his manliness, in that they offset the
acceptable manliness decline he suffers when married/engaged in a serious
healthy relationship. I.E. hunting, boxing, shot putting, shooting, car
maintenance.

I'm not that good at hunting, I can't box (however, I know a kickass female boxing instructor that reads this very forum - she could easily kick your ass - guess you're not a 'real man') When is shot putting useful?! I watched my friend's mom change her own alternator and swing from a tree with a chainsaw - maybe she was just a retrosexual trapped in a woman's body. And why does being able to take care of anything make you more of a man? We're decades past that. I can't rebuild an engine - I take it to a mechanic. During the winter, I even let the garage down the street change my oil, because I don't feel like (or have to) freeze my ass off to do it. I can make a computer do damn near anything - I don't expect my mechanic to be able to. Yes, there was a time where the nearest person to help you do anything was a couple days ride away, you had to know a little something about everything. Now, you don't have to do that. Of course, anyone with a half an ounce of intelligence and dexterity can change their own oil or hang a picture is they wanted to. Maybe they don't want to. Maybe their time is more valuable doing something else. Arnold Schwarzenegger sure seems like a 'real man' (he smokes cigars, drives a Hummer) - I doubt he changes his own oil or built his own deck.

A retrosexual knows how to sharpen his own knives and kitchen utensils.

Isn't kitchen stuff "woman's work"? Knowing how to do some of that, might make you girly.

A Retrosexual man can drive in snow (hell, a blizzard) without sliding all
over or driving under 20mph.

Again - everyone should know how to do this. Many people don't.

A retrosexual man can chop down a tree and make it land where he wants.
Where ever it lands is where he wanted it to land.

Again - why? You don't have to know how to do everything anymore. I guess my dad isn't a 'real man'. Sure, he's 60 years old, drinks, smokes, is a Vietnam Vet, can get two shots out of a single-action shotgun than you probably could with a pump-action... but he called some people to take a tree out of his yard. And one of the other ones he took down by himself didn't fall right where he wanted, and took out the cable line. We laughed our asses off, had a beer, and called the cable guy. Oh wait... jesus we're pussies! We should ahve fixed the cable ourselves!

A retrosexual will give up his seat on a bus to not only any women but any
elderly person or person in military dress .....

See above.

A retrosexual man doesn't immediately look to sue someone when he does
something stupid and hurts himself. We understand that sometimes in the
process doing things we get hurt and we just DEAL WITH IT.

Wow! Another thing I agree with. But, everyone should act like this - not just 'real men'.

People shouldn't worry about being a "real man" or a "real woman" - you should be free and able to be whatever kind of person you want, without judgement from anyone else. If a girl likes a guy to open doors, pay for everything - then fine, she should look for a guy like that. If she doesn't like that stuff, and doesn't want you to do it - then she should find someone who's ok with that. Not everyone is the same person - that'd be boring anyway. Everyone should be polite and considerate, I'll agree with that. No one should do anything just because it's expected of them, and no one should do anything with the sole intent of earning a label.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

As I said earlier, Whatever!

:D:D
I love it when things degenerate into a "Whatever!" I interpret that as "I have nothing intelligent to say, but I want you to think I don't care, but can't let you think you actually made a valid point or two, but because I'm a real man I need to get the last word in..." ;)

"is there any other way ??"
------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, yes there is, it's called a forehand knot, but it looks like crap, Windsor knot is the ONLY way to go.

Hmm. Seems like that take freefliers out of the definition. Dang, and they were SO close. ;)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Isn't it wonderful that there are so many people out there with different definitions of "real man" and "real woman?"

Now all they have to do is find someone with the same answers...

Wendy
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

No, it simply means that I have nothing else to say about this, at all, period! Nothing more, nothing less. In other words, I am through with this issue!
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Isn't it wonderful that there are so many people out there will different definitions of "real man" and "real woman?"

Indeed. "Real man." My definition of a "real man?"

"Real Man" - n. An adult male with enough anatomy to act as wussy as he wants; an adult male with enough anatomy to not succumb to anyone's ideas of what he should be and doesn't bitch about others' ideas.

Turn out, a "real woman" is extraodinarily similar.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Blah... guess I should have Googled this before I assumed it was an original thought and wasted a bunch of time responding. Oh well.

Indeed. "Real man." My definition of a "real man?"

"Real Man" - n. An adult male with enough anatomy to act as wussy as he wants; an adult male with enough anatomy to not succumb to anyone's ideas of what he should be and doesn't bitch about others' ideas.

My definition is even more basic than that, but pretty close. Again - why act a certain way because of tradition, expectations, or to obtain a label? Be true to who you are, have that XY chromosome - that's all it takes.

Now, my definition of "Good Person" is much more indepth.

have that XY chromosome - that's all it takes.

No, that just makes someone male. There's a difference between being a "man" and being male. Boys are also male! (No, going through puberty doesn't make someone a man. Most people don't consider 12 year olds men and women.)
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Sigh... ok... XY and over the age of 18... how's that? I could even argue that under 18, you're still a man, just not fully developed.

Now get your ass back in the kitchen where you belong, woman!

Hey Lee,
That all sound swell, except you forgot the part about real men/retrosexuals are also fiscally responsible and don't leave the woman holding the bill (unless she said up front she'd pay for it, and some of us retrosexual women do)!! The rest is pretty reasonable. You must admit, The Queer Eyes for the Straight Guys have really helped some hurtin' units out there in macho-land!! BWAHAHAHAAAAA!
Attitude is everything!

Hey Lee,
That all sound swell, except you forgot the part about real men/retrosexuals are also fiscally responsible and don't leave the woman holding the bill (unless she said up front she'd pay for it, and some of us retrosexual women do)!! The rest is pretty reasonable. You must admit, The Queer Eyes for the Straight Guys have really helped some hurtin' units out there in macho-land!! BWAHAHAHAAAAA!

While the Fab 5 are flamingly over the top in their mannerisms, they do have some good tips on clothing and interior design. Now will I go out and paint my walls teal or Ecru? No. Will I be willing to shop thrift stores and use more color in my living space? Yes.

And I also watch that show for the same reason I'll look at a car wreck--you cannot resist but watch...