ILikePizza

7 vs 9 cell canopies for newer jumpers

I have an exit weight of ~250 and am currently trying out a couple of 210s; Pulse, Storm, and Sabre 2.

I went this weekend from the Pulse to the Storm and noticed some differences. It felt as though the Storm (7 cell) was falling faster, but didn't give me an increase in forward speed as I had hoped (thinking my flare would be stronger). I landed fine every time, and enjoyed the ride, but I am curious now.

What is the advantage of a 7 cell vs a 9 cell canopy when the two are the same size?

Am I correct in noticing a faster decent rate with the 7 cell? Should I have had an increase in forward speed?

I got some mixed comments from jumpers and instructors at my home DZ, so I thought I'd toss this one up, advice and comments are greatly appreciated.
...And I'm not gonna not get Randy Jackson's autograph...
Did we just become best friends?

D.S. #1000000

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=7+cell+vs+9+cell&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=score&mh=50

Here's the results of a quick search on the topic; you'll find there' LOTS of information already out there on the differences between the two types. Neither is "better" or "worse" for a newer jumper - it's really a matter of personal preference. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Have your instructors agreed that a 210 is the right size canopy for you? I would have steered you more towards a 230 for your first canopy at the body size you are.

7 cells and 9 cells can be designed to be steep or flat for their glide slopes, it is all what each canopy design is focused around.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

And just FYI, the Storm is probably the steepest flying 7-cell I know of. It will descend a LOT faster than a Spectre or Triathlon of similar size. If you don't like the steep descent rate of the Storm, you might like the other 7-cells better...

Wendy

>What is the advantage of a 7 cell vs a 9 cell canopy when the two are the
>same size?

Every canopy is unique. That being said, in GENERAL, 9 cells glide better, 7 cells handle turbulence better. That's purely because of aspect ratio (the 'skinniness' of the canopy when looking up at it.) Beyond that everything is up to the design of the canopy.

>Am I correct in noticing a faster decent rate with the 7 cell?

In general, yes.

>Should I have had an increase in forward speed?

Not necessarily. Less glide = faster descent with no increase in forward speed.

Have your instructors agreed that a 210 is the right size canopy for you? I would have steered you more towards a 230 for your first canopy at the body size you are.

I started on a 240 student rig. Then a 230 Pulse, then the 210. I think the first was jump 20 for the 210. I agree the downsize was aggressive, but I have talked with everyone and I will stay on the 210 for a good while.

Thanks for the comments guys! (and the link)
...And I'm not gonna not get Randy Jackson's autograph...
Did we just become best friends?

D.S. #1000000

I'm sorry to hijack this thread but...
Some one just offered me a 220 Navigator 7 cell....I think that's the brand.
I'm currently jumping a 9 cell 285.
That's too huge a jump right?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

If it's too huge a jump depends on your skills and weight. And of course you should ask your own instructors what they think.
Basically, you still want to be at a wingload of 1:1 max at this point in your jumping career, so if you weigh 190 lbs max and can land your current canopy upwind, downwind, where you want it and do so confidently every time, the downsize might not be unreasonable. BTW be sure to take the reserve into account as well, if you're buying a rig.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I'm on a 9 cell 280 Navigator.
The rig in question up for sale is a 220 (I think) Triathalon.
I'm planning on doing another jump on the 280. And then 5-10 jumps on a 260 and then another 5-10 on a 240 and then maybe I'll be ready for the 220.
But all the above are 9 cell student rigs. How will that compare to the 7 cell?
FYI I'm 185lbs naked.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

A Triathlon 220 sounds like it could be a fine first rig for you, provided you're comfy with the in-between sizes. Like I said, talk to your instructors (!) and make very sure the reserve in that rig is at a wingload of 1:1 tops, so it needs to be at least 220 sqft.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

A Triathlon 220 sounds like it could be a fine first rig for you, provided you're comfy with the in-between sizes. Like I said, talk to your instructors (!) and make very sure the reserve in that rig is at a wingload of 1:1 tops, so it needs to be at least 220 sqft.

roger will co.
as i indicated I plan on jumping each incriment 10 times till I come close to the 220 and then take it for a test drive.
But again i'm very sorry to bother but as a new guy who love soft landings and only jumps when the winds are under 14mph how does the flare on a 7 compare to that of a 9.
Thank you.
Shah

roger will co.
as i indicated I plan on jumping each incriment 10 times till I come close to the 220 and then take it for a test drive.
But again i'm very sorry to bother but as a new guy who love soft landings and only jumps when the winds are under 14mph how does the flare on a 7 compare to that of a 9.
Thank you.
Shah

9-cell parachutes will generally have a more powerful flare than a 7-cell parachute.

The exact moment that you start the flare, and the time it takes for you to make the full control stroke will likely be different.

Since the 9-cells usually have a more powerful flare, you can often flare them more gradually than you might flare a 7-cell. So, the two-stage flare will likely be easier to learn and may be more forgiving of mistakes on a 9-cell canopy than on a 7-cell canopy.

That being said, why would anyone still jump a 7-cell? Well, the 7-cell canopy will often have a greater range of control, and so be able to fly better in deeper brakes than a 9-cell will. This means you can often get more accurate landings on a 7-cell. Looking at the serious competition accuracy canopies, they are not 9-cells.

But many people achieve all the accuracy they need on a 9-cell, so the 7-cell "benefit" in this may be moot. It depends on your needs and wants.

As with most discussions of this nature, YMMV.

Thank you so much for the information.
I think it will be an issue of "feel"
I'm kind of conservative when it comes to my landings and am not in it for the rush or to impress.
I'm like an old lady, soft landings please! :-)
So I'll have to just see.
Thank you so much for the help!

We are about the same size. I claim a 250# exit weight too. I learned on a 290 Raven and moved on to a 190 Diablo. Be careful, I have a total of 50 jumps to date, 7 of the last 10 have been on the 190 Diablo. I still have issues getting the flare right. Let's just say, "I know my PLF is working!" My point being, I thought I was getting pretty consistant landing the Raven, now I am frustrated to be piling in hot all the time. Be careful and be ready! You can make a 190 work out. Just watch out.
Marriage is like a deck of cards. You start with two harts and a diamond only to discover you wish you had a club and a spade!

Be very careful on the Diablo. It's not a beginner canopy. I jump one; I'm really not just blowing smoke.

It doesn't like to open straight unless you're careful, it oversteers, it's twitchy, and it's not very forgiving of uneven flares etc. I jump it specifically because it turns fast; that's a characteristic I think is fun. But there are things it's not good at, and I wouldn't want to learn on it.

Whoever sold it to you did you no favors.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Like Wendy said, the Diablo is not for beginners. Over here you need 400 jumps to jump one, regardless of size. I had 800+ jumps when I bought a Diablo 120 (WL 1.25) I did 10-15 jumps on that Diablo and it scared me a few times on opening, so I quickly sold it again. It's hotter than a same-size Vengeance/Crossfire when it wants to be. A friend of mine had to chop his because he twisted it into linetwists after it was open, just by leaning in the harness. A low turn on toggles on a Diablo might just be your last. Be very careful with that canopy.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I still have issues getting the flare right. Let's just say, "I know my PLF is working!" My point being, I thought I was getting pretty consistant landing the Raven, now I am frustrated to be piling in hot all the time.

You know you shouldn't be jumping that canopy. Either stop and get back to something more reasonable (size and type), or you will likely be badly hurt. Prepare to have some tell you this in much more forceful, rude language.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

We are about the same size. I claim a 250# exit weight too. I learned on a 290 Raven and moved on to a 190 Diablo. Be careful, I have a total of 50 jumps to date, 7 of the last 10 have been on the 190 Diablo. I still have issues getting the flare right. Let's just say, "I know my PLF is working!" My point being, I thought I was getting pretty consistant landing the Raven, now I am frustrated to be piling in hot all the time. Be careful and be ready! You can make a 190 work out. Just watch out.

You have no business under that type of canopy.
First under normal conditons at your jump number, you should land nicely 9,5 time out of ten. If you have already several PLF, something is very wrong. What are you going to do when you have a have spot and have to land on concrete or between obstacles ?
And that's for a "normal landing". A friend of mine took the same shortcut you took. He knew he he could handle it because you know he was careful.
until a day he ended up in proximity of a canopy he didn't see coming, close to the ground. He gave a sharp input to the toggles and smashed into the ground. He fractured his pelvis and his leg in 3 places. He stayed screamning in agony on the ground during 40 minutes before being taken to the hospital by the paramedics. He remained uncertain of wether he could walk again normally, or even have normal genital functions for 3 months. To this day he still limps and has quit jumping.

Please be reasonnable, keep this canopy if you wish, but quit jumping it for the time being. Find something like a Silhouette to learn on. And when you're a little better prepared, come back to the Diablo.

I've talked with him offline; it's a location, availability and price-driven deal, and he's trying to find something more appropriate.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I would not get ties up in the 7 vs 9 cell thing. It is more like ford vs GM

Fly what feels good to you. What are you looking for in a canopy? Do you like the way it opens, turns, flies and in particular, lands? Can you fly it in all modes that you want, braked, front-riser, rear risers, etc?

There are good 7 cells and good 9 cells out there, and there are crappy 7 and 9 cell canopies out there too.
http://www.dropzone.com/content/Detailed/47.html

This article is worth its weight in gold as far as the skills you should try to achieve for canopy flight. Can you do all these things under the parachute that you have chosen?

All i want is nice safe soft openings and nice safe soft landings in winds at no faster than say 15mph.
I like this sport, it is not my life.
If it's windy, so what? I'll just sit and hang out with friends. If it's nice I'll jump.
But there doesn't seem to be many like me.
Maybe I'm old before my time. Or maybe I just don't get it. In the end it's me and the blue sky, who am i impressing? Who can even see me?

So from what I Understand The difference between a 9 Cell Canopy and a 7 Cell is that:

7 Cells fall faster but have less of a Glide and 9 Cells have more of a Glide but less of a fall rate?

ive only really jumped student rigs and about 20 jumps on a Sabre 2 9 cell which i liked. and I would like to Purchase a Rig in the future. ive heard pros and cons and im gonna demo some once the winter is over. so im just wondering if that is what the major difference is, Thanks