quesera

Cocking a pilot chute

I am working on my license, and just bought a rig. I'm practicing packing, but have only learned to pack the student gear so far. I'm practicing on my rig now, but there's one thing I cannot get:

Can anyone explain to me how to cock a pilot chute? I can find a million pages about why to cock a pilot chute, when to cock a pilot chute, etc., but nothing about HOW.

Obviously, I am NOT jumping this gear yet, but I would like to be packing it properly so I can practice.

Thanks!!

whole lot easier to get someone to show you, would only take 5 seconds

first inspect the gear to see the "before", look at the pilot chute, try to get it to inflate like a little parachute, if it does this it may already be cocked, look at the bridle 1-2 feet away from the bag, you may see a "window" on one side where you can see the kill line, if there is a window then the kill line will have a colored section, when it is cocked the colored section is in the window

grab the hackey handle of the pilot chute, stand up, put your foot on the bag, grab the bridle with your other hand, now spread your hands apart while lifting them up in the air, this should do it, the "kill line" only needs to move about 1 foot, go back and look at the "window" and try to inflate the pilot chute
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I am working on my license, and just bought a rig. I'm practicing packing, but have only learned to pack the student gear so far. I'm practicing on my rig now, but there's one thing I cannot get:

Can anyone explain to me how to cock a pilot chute? I can find a million pages about why to cock a pilot chute, when to cock a pilot chute, etc., but nothing about HOW.

Obviously, I am NOT jumping this gear yet, but I would like to be packing it properly so I can practice.

Thanks!!

Are you certain it's a collapsible pilot chute?

Thanks! The window had blue when I bought it, but has turned white, as I've packed it a couple of times, and undid it, apparently. I'll definitely try that.

I will also have someone show me, but I haven't been to my drop zone in a few weeks because even in June and July, the weather here is terrible [:/] I'll practice as best I can until this weekend.

Okay, so yesterday I recievied my first rig (sooooo exited=D), and also with a collapsible pilot chute. After showing it to my parents a couple of times, I packed the PC a few times again, but I'm not sure if it's still cocked. I didn't take the canopy out of the bag or anything, but I just want to be shure if it's cocked, so what do you think? I'll send a picture along: http://img293.imageshack.us/i/dsc00685x.jpg/

BTW: I don't have a window where I can see the colour of the kill line, this is because of my rigger wants me to be extra carefull with this.

Thanks in advance :)

Is the bridle at the D-Bag tight against the top of the canopy?

Are the tapes inside the pilot chute at full extension?

Does the pilot chute grab air when you whip it around by the bridle?

If the answer to all of these is "yes" then it is cocked.

Your pic doesn't show any of these, so it's hard to judge.

You might want to play with it a bit and look at how the kill line uncocks it, and what it looks like uncocked. Then cock it and see what the differences are. I am anal enough that I like to know how stuff works and why it works the way it does.
If you don't understand it or can't figure it out by playing/working with it, then I would suggest having your rigger show you and explain it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Normally, I'm also finding it good to know the how and what about anything. But when I want to play with this, I have to take the canopy out of the bag, wich for now I don't want to, becuase I won't be able to get it back(A) (It's ZP and brand new.. So it's slippery like hell..)

Ok, make sure you check the tapes and if it grabs air.
Their are usually 2 tapes going up the inside of the PC on either side of the kill line. They should be slightly shorter than the kill line, so that there is more tension on the tapes than the kill line.

Also, grab the bridle about 2-3 ft (oh, yeah - you're in Europe. Make that a little less than a meter:P) down from the PC and whip it around. The PC should grab air.

Neither of those require opening the container.

If you aren't absolutely sure, have someone check it for you before you jump it.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Normally, I'm also finding it good to know the how and what about anything. But when I want to play with this, I have to take the canopy out of the bag, wich for now I don't want to, becuase I won't be able to get it back(A) (It's ZP and brand new.. So it's slippery like hell..)

And just how do you expect to pack it anyways? It will get less slippery after a hundred or so jumps... ( not really noticably less though :D)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Well.. I was thinking about psychopacking.. But they still have to teach me how to do it well.. I know it globally, but still have to fine tune the skills ;) What do you guys think about this method? Is it better then Pro packing?

Im no expert on psycho packing, and have only done it once, in a hurry to catch a 23 way sunset tracking load...

Pulled a bit higher than normal and thought I packed a mal cause it took so long to open.

Probably wont do it again.

My last 100 jumps were on a sabre2 190 that had roughly 20 jumps on it when I got it, fitting into a d-bag that seemed pretty small for it, and a pain in the ass to close. Its a bitch to pack them, but over time you get better at it, just gotta know how to control it from slipping everwhere.

Get in good with a couple packers and see if they will show you some tips and tricks, worked for me.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

For some reason psychopacking has been increasing in popularity at my home DZ. I will tell you what I tell anyone else who asks me about it.

"I used to psychopack...until I learned how to properly pack." :P

"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Okay, so there's still some hope :D :P.
Anyway, thank you guys very much for the advice! I checked my PC btw, and it seemed properly cocked, at least, it caught some air when I dragged it around with the bridle, so that should be fine. I'll have it checked by some of the instructors when I'm going to jump next sunday.

I don't have a window where I can see the colour of the kill line, this is because of my rigger wants me to be extra carefull with this.

Your saying your rigger did what? He covered up the window you use to see if the PC is cocked? Or do you have a bungee PC?
Dom

With your jump numbers, and assuming you haven't been a full time packer for a year or more, that canopy is going to be a pure bitch to get in the bag being brand new. Even a psycho pack will be difficult. Have a rigger or experienced packer give you some tips.
I was in the same boat at one time, and figured a method that works best for me which involves a normal pro pack where you stick each fold in the bag one at a time, instead of trying to stack it like a Big Mac and getting it in collectively.
Stay high pull low

I watched that video like 10000 times, but when I was at my riggers place, I tried to pack it, but even the flacking was really hard to do!! So I think I'l wait a little longer with trying (A).

And to make sure that I can pack the way I'm supposed to do, I'm going to do some kind of packing test (roughly translated (A) ), wich I'll need for my A license, next sunday. When I succeed with that, I'm going to try packing at home and experience with the canopy.

I can tell you this from personal experience with new canopies. Dont just ask a couple people how to show you to pack. Ask a BUNCH of different people. Everyone packs differently and if you anything like me you'll pick up on tips and tricks that suit you better for YOUR method of packing. See everyone packs differently in some way (however minute that may be) and its been my experience that the bigger pool of packing experience you have to draw from, the more tools you'll have available to suit YOUR packing style best. The best advice is to keep at it. It will get easier. Before you know it you'll be able to pack any new canopy of any size without too much difficulty. Its all about getting your own method that works for you. Make sense?
Muff #5048