dimbohall

Lubricant for cutaway cable

I don't think that is true. The yellow coating is something different, but Racers have a red teflon coating (with some debate about the possibility of it being able to crack/stay on the cable), isn't that right?

Paragear says yes, Teflon is on the yellow cables. Maybe someone can check with Poyntner.

http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=161&parent=27&level=2

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Paragear says yes, Teflon is on the yellow cables. Maybe someone can check with Poyntner.

I dove into Poyntner myself, and it doesn't say. He describes the rings and loop, but not the cable.

Poyntner does recommend a light machine grade oil, such as 3-in-1, for cleaning cables.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Although I am still a little hesitant to try it on my rig, fly line dressing would probably work fine. I have been fly fishing for 17 years and I can put my hand on my heart and say that a flyline that has been maintained will far out last one that is not. Simply cleaning and "dressing" the line will make it last longer than you want it to. I also know a guy who swears by rain-x to maintain his line. Now being new to the sport of skydiving, I don't profess to know what is best, but I figure since line dressing is primarily silicone, and leaves no "residue" it sounds like a logical choice.
Fire away! lol
Bad decisions make good stories!!

The yellow cables are already coated in teflon,

I don't think that is true. The yellow coating is something different, but Racers have a red teflon coating (with some debate about the possibility of it being able to crack/stay on the cable), isn't that right?

When Parachute Labs first started using the red teflon coated cables there was a problem with the supplier (many years ago)where the coating cracked.The old yellow cables were supposed to be lightly coated with 3in1 oil but that was a long time ago

I don't find silicon all that hard to find. I know ACE hardware carries it, in aerosol form.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=12293

_Am

(unless I misunderstood at the time...)
That's the stuff that I've used ever since getting a chance to talk to BB. As a relative newbie;), I figure I'll listen to my elder's until I have a good reason to do differently.

But that's just me.

The only caution he gave me was that (at the time) ACE also sold a Silicone Spray Adhesive in a similar can. Make sure you know what you have in your hand! :o

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I don't find silicon all that hard to find. I know ACE hardware carries it, in aerosol form.

_Am

That's the stuff that I've used ever since getting a chance to talk to BB. As a relative newbie;), I figure I'll listen to my elder's until I have a good reason to do differently.

But that's just me.

The only caution he gave me was that (at the time) ACE also sold a Silicone Spray Adhesive in a similar can. Make sure you know what you have in your hand! :o

JW

I saw this exact can at a local ACE HARDWARE and upon reading the ingredients list on the back of the can it states that it has "Acetone" in it and I put it right back on the shelf! No way was I going to purchase anything that has acetone in it and put it anywhere near my rig! I understand it evaporates very quickly but it is in there along with propane, petroleum distillates, napthenic oil, and ethanol. So I will be looking and searching for the food grade silicone, perhaps the SCUBA silicone that some have mentioned will do the trick.

Just a heads up!

_Am

But that's just me.

JW

I saw this exact can at a local ACE HARDWARE and upon reading the ingredients list on the back of the can it states that it has "Acetone" in it and I put it right back on the shelf! No way was I going to purchase anything that has acetone in it and put it anywhere near my rig!

I will be looking and searching for the food grade silicone, perhaps the SCUBA silicone that some have mentioned will do the trick.

Just a heads up!

Acetone is extremely volatile. Therefore, if you spray it on a rag, and wipe in on the cables, it will have vaporized long before you can even reinstall the cables.

Also, acetone doesn't hurt nylon so it's not realy an issue regardless...
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

_Am

But that's just me.

JW

I saw this exact can at a local ACE HARDWARE and upon reading the ingredients list on the back of the can it states that it has "Acetone" in it and I put it right back on the shelf! No way was I going to purchase anything that has acetone in it and put it anywhere near my rig!

I will be looking and searching for the food grade silicone, perhaps the SCUBA silicone that some have mentioned will do the trick.

Just a heads up!

Acetone is extremely volatile. Therefore, if you spray it on a rag, and wipe in on the cables, it will have vaporized long before you can even reinstall the cables.

Also, acetone doesn't hurt nylon so it's not realy an issue regardless...

Thanks for the heads up, I did not know that! I just knew that the wife uses acetone to remove nail polish and I thought it was in the lubricant itself...So it sounded dangerous.

Not being a chemist, I admit to following the example of those who have more time/experience with these questions and then try to follow a conservative approach.

To those who are in the industry, I would like to follow up with this second recommendation that was given me years ago...

Prior to wiping down with the aforementioned ACE Hardware Silicon Lub, especially for those cables that have obviously not been cleaned in a long time, one should clean them with Lighter Fluid (Ronosonol). spec sheet: http://www.local510.org/msds_sheets/Ronsonol_MSDS.pdf

By observation, this definately cleans off the aluminum ozide and/or dirt/oils etc...

I've used this to clean and the Silicon Lub at every repack on my own rigs for over 10 years and the cables are clean and move very smoothly with no visible sign of ill affects to the coating.

Curious what the chemists can tell me about this additional "cleaner"?

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I learned a long time ago about 3in1 oil. It tends to get tacky and attracts dirt. I used to use it on my sewing machines and I found myself cleaning my machines too frequently. I now use Chevron 'Handy Oil'. A light coating of pure silicone seems to work best on release cables and attracts less dirt.

Chuck