banesanura

DOOR MONSTER

I recover quickly, but I fear that this is something that has to be improved before I even attempt a hop/pop.

If you recover quickly up high you will as well at the hop n pop altitude. I like the suggestion of getting someone to flash fingers as you exit. It gives you something to focus on as well as getting feed back from the person that was watching your exit. As a student I had a couple exits I thought were totally botched but my coach just hunched his shoulders and said there was nothing really wrong with them. You may be doing better than you think.

Also, on your hop n pop...It's going to feel like your chute is taking forever to deploy.. everything slows down when you have not reached terminal velocity. I thought I was having a mal for a few seconds on my beer hop n pop.

This has been great advice.

I would have never though about the opening, good thing you told me- I would have thought the same thing.

I have my A card in front of me at it says #5 Jump and Deploy while stable within 5 seconds after exit from 3500 AGL.

I am asuming this means pull at 3500? Right?

I've never heard of a hop/pop jumping out at 3500- I always hear of them leaving at 5000

or does this
Best Girl Scout Ever.

I think, for some reason, that labrys thinks you're a dude.

No

Either that, or she was trying to point out the sexism of billy's statement by pointing out how obviously condescending the same statement would be if delivered to a man.

Yes, with that one minor correction in bold.

Owned by Remi #?

I have my A card in front of me at it says #5 Jump and Deploy while stable within 5 seconds after exit from 3500 AGL.

I am assuming this means pull at 3500? Right?

I've never heard of a hop/pop jumping out at 3500- I always hear of them leaving at 5000 or does this

A five second delay from 3500 would have you pulling at ~3100. Since it says within five seconds, that means your pull is anywhere between 3100 and 3500.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

oooooh this is my area of expertise!!! Me and the door monster fought with eachother for weeks.

The most helpful thing for me? In the 182, sitting student, taking a super long door. my instructor had me put my hands out in the air, play around, and had me force myself to smile through the entire experience. Creating postive vibes around the open door made a world of difference.

I still had a bit of apprehension, so I did another long door and focused a ton on spotting, realizing that looking out of the door really wasn't the WORST THING EVER made the door monster go away.

Any ideas what to do to get me less nervous?

One way to conquer fear is to fake it. If you pretend you are not scared by acting cool and like you are not scared that is how you will feel.
Something I learned from Brian Germain. You may want to check out his book:

Brian is actually the person that made me take the long door. I love him for it. :)
www.transcendingfear.com

Be sure to okay any advice given here with your instructor.

Blue Skies!

This is the most important statement posted! Also, as other people have posted, it is vital to practice EVERYTHING on the ground first! Even stupid things like collapsing your slider should first be done on the ground before it is attempted on the skydive!

Another thing that helped me was my instructor wore a video camera and tapped the whole skydive! This way when we got back to the packing area we would debrief and go over the skydive "not sure if this is required or not." I could very easily see what I was doing or not doing.

-Daniel

Any ideas what to do to get me less nervous?

Jump more often. The more you jump, the more relaxed you'll be.

There's a lot to be said for this thought.
When I've not jumped for a couple of weeks or so it takes at least a few jumps to get comfortable with jumping into freefall.
If I'm doing 15 or so jumps every weekend and a few here and there during the week it seems like I don't get out of the groove so to speak. I still always have some fear to overcome on each and every jump it's just easier when I'm jumping more often.

the point of the hop and pop requirement is to simulate an aircraft emergency. Plane going down you need to be able to get out stable quickly and pull.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192