mountainman

made my first SOLO flight today !

Well, I finally did it. I had my first solo today flying. It was AWESOME!!! I don't think it's really set in yet. I have another lesson tomorrow too.

Pics here: http://www.brandonandlaura.com/flying/

Here is the "flight log" from my website:
---
Wednesday, May 19, 2004
MY FIRST SOLO - Today was my first solo. WOW!!! It was such a great feeling to be up there in the plane with no one sitting next to you. It is just a wonderful feeling of resonsibility and freedom when the plane lifts off the runway and you know at that moment that the outcome rests solely in your hands. After doing my first solo today, it just makes me want to work harder to finish my private pilot certificate and continue on with training. I am very lucky to have a patient and encouraging CFI in my training. He's been nothing but helpful throughout the past 4.5 weeks. Thanks, Jim!

Today started off as a cold, cloudy, wet morning that made me stay in bed until 45 minutes until I had to be at work. What a great start. As the day wore on, the air warmed up and the clouds moved skyward until we had a ceiling about 2000AGL. It seems that someone felt I should fly today.

I preflighted the 152 and we both got in. Apparently, Jim grabbed my logbook, because later on, it happened to be in the back. I didn't put it there. Very, very sneaky. We taxied over to runway 9 and took off. We stayed in the pattern for a couple of touch-and-go's. After about 30 minutes, we were abeam the runway numbers on downwind when Jim pulled power and had me bring us in. It went very well. We made it with plenty of altitude, put out full flaps and had a smooth landing. Once we were down, Jim told me to pull off the runway.

We pulled off and he asked if I was ready to do a little solo flight. HECK YA!!! So, I dropped him off on the taxiway after he signed my medical to solo. I was off. I headed down the taxiway and tookoff from runway 9. I did three touch-and-go's and then a landing. The first landing was a squeaker. The other three were pretty good. The plane is still useable. I taxied up to the ramp, parked and did the shut down.

After the flight, we went inside and filled out my logbook. While I was writing in my section of it for solo, Jim cut my shirt. I wrote the info on it and he pinned it up on the wall in the building. Laura came over with the camera and took some photos for the website. What a great day!

:)
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

Congrats on your solo!

And how funny you'd post tonight. One of my co-workers is making a tandem for her upcoming birthday and just this afternoon we were watching skydivingmovies.com of different tandems and came across you and your wifes tandem vid! Very nicely put together. Listening to your wife scream on exit was classic but it didn't deter my coworker.!!!B|

cheers,
Buck

It really does not get better than that.

If there is one feeling I could experience for the rest of my life....It would be the feeling of my first solo, and the feeling on the drive home.

Getting my Airborne wings pinned on comes second.

First freefall is third.

Congrats...
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Brandon, I'm approaching the 3 yr anniversary of my first solo flight. You willl NEVER forget it.
Every time I read about someone else's ... My whole experience comes back to me.
All I have is the memory of that EARLY June morning.
No cut shirt, no pics...But I can still see and hear my instructor getting out and telling me to take care of his headset.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
It only gets better now.

Actually, I got a call from a friend yesterday, who flew his first solo (second actually...long story)
Must have been a good day for Firsts!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

Congrats! I'm supposed to solo sometime in the next 2-3 days. Perhaps even tomorrow :)
Where are you flying? I used to live up in Ohio in Cleveland. Then I moved to Columbus to go to OSU.

Best of luck no your Cross Country!

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."