cvfd1399

Jogging/weight loss

Ok so I lost 25lbs in a month so far(got to help the fall rate) I started back jogging, and it feels GREAT! I noticed one thing tho. Back in the day when I ran I would get "shin splints", now I don't. I took off jogging and went through my neighborhood, and figured ok that was probbaly good enough to start out. When I measured the distance the next day, it was over a mile without stopping no problem! I diddn't even realize I had gone a mile, usually I breathe harder, or get pains. When I jogg I keep my head up and arms beside me and more pulled back. I relax every muscle in my arms and hands, and just concentrate on pace and breathing. If I start looking at the ground infront of me I start to get the burn in my shins. I immediately bring my head back up and look at the tree line, and they go away. I figure when I lean forward it puts more weight on the front of my feet, and shins. If you suffer from them, you might try it and see if it helps you. I am so excited I want to go all the time, but I know you have to rest and let your muscles rebuild every day or so. What is ok, jogg 2-3 days in a row and take a day off or what? Can't wait to get to my goal weight!!! WOOT WOOT

No, for me the challenge is NOT hitting the snooze bar. I am the very antithesis of a morning person. Oh, and you have to learn to walk down steps sideways, because your quads won't let you step down normally. I've been getting a lot of funny looks at work recently. :D

By the way, back on topic, I always get shin splints, and I always lean forward when I run. That might be the problem! Thanks for the thread! B|

Kelly

Cool it might help me go 2 miles, but I am up at 5:30 7 days a week;)

I run on asphault not by choice, but I like to run at night (8pmish), and all the parks have their lights off at that time. Since I was commissioned 3 months ago(top gun in class) I was asked to start thinking of joining the C.R.T(swat) team as a swat medic. So that is really getting me motivated.

Until eight years ago, I ran anywhere from five to seven miles - every other day - apart from Army PT..............man, the weight just stayed off and I ate anything I wanted. As for your shins, "invest" in a good pair of running shoes.......did wonders for my shins. Keep up the good work. ;)

The shoes is a very good idea..you will be amazed at the difference that a quality running shoe will make.

I too lost weight via jogging, but I do mine on a treadmill nowadays at the gym (with a MP3 player on) because the treadmill is cushioned compared to ashphalt.

----------------------------------------------------
If the shit fits - wear it (blues brothers)--

Aw, man, if you lived in Atlanta, I'd recruit you to come do the bootcamp challenge with me . . . 5 days a week at 6 a.m. Today we jogged 2 miles. :)
Kelly

With the proper medication, you won't feel the need to be awake at 6am. A better life through pharmacy. ;)

If you need motivation, find a neighborhood with a big dog. Run by and taunt him. The advantage is that you can do it on your own schedule. :ph34r:

Yeah, back when I was doing the Army thing, I was a sick in shape bastard who could do 10 miles without a problem.

I USED to have shin splints until I got good running shoes. I won't run in anything other than Saucony running shoes. They are fantastic.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Jogging to lose weight? I always though it was best to get some peace and quiet, because like hell anyone wants to come with you.
For setting up some sort of routine and exercises, look in your area for a hard core running store like The Running Room. Some of them hold clinics; they seem to be good places to learn what a good idea is, and what is less then stellar. Hopefully they will be run by a coach who can give you a lot of personalized help.
As for the shin splints, they seem to be a fact of running on hard surfaces. You can try running on grass, that's pretty good because it gives more. But it’s also kinda bad, because it gives more.
One treatment I used when I ran tack was an ice run. Fill a Styrofoam cup with water and freeze it. As soon as you finish your run, grab the cup, peel off some of the Styrofoam, and start rubbing the ice on your shin splints. 5 min on one leg, 5 min on the other. I think 15 min on each leg was enough for me. Oh, and stretching also helps. Put your foot at a 45 degree angle, then bring your body forward.
But be afraid of anyone who says they can rub out or massage your shin splints, because they just might. Nobody on my track team would ever complain of shin splints, because if our coach heard, he'd offer to rub them out. Basically he took his thump of took it right up the shin splits. Hurt like hell, but it worked.
Oh, one more think, a better running surface might help. If you can find a high school or something with decent track. None of that gravel crap, rubberized asphalt would be the best that you’re likely to find. When you push on the surface, it should give a bit. If its just asphalt with the rubber swept into piles on the side, don’t waste your time.

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

I am so excited I want to go all the time, but I know you have to rest and let your muscles rebuild every day or so. What is ok, jogg 2-3 days in a row and take a day off or what? Can't wait to get to my goal weight!!! WOOT WOOT

You don't really have to worry about rest the way you would if you were doing weights. You're not overtaxing the muscles that badly unless you're doing aggressive intervals. A day off a week is fine, some won't even do that.

But you do want to build up slowly over the first few weeks. Keep the pace slow, don't increase the distance rapidly, and if you're feeling sore take the day off. I like to start at twice a week and then go to 3-4 as my routine, but I mix in swimming and bike. I guess you've been at it a month now, so you're probably over the initial hump.

Variety is good for the body and mind. Trail running, barefoot beach running, anything but sidewalks.

Aw, man, if you lived in Atlanta, I'd recruit you to come do the bootcamp challenge with me . . . 5 days a week at 6 a.m. Today we jogged 2 miles. :)
Kelly

Ok Kelly, just for you. At 6:05, i was 1.5 miles into my workout this morning.B| I actually do feel pretty good.:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

You don't really have to worry about rest the way you would if you were doing weights. You're not overtaxing the muscles that badly unless you're doing aggressive intervals. A day off a week is fine, some won't even do that.

very true, there are quite a few people who have been running every day for quite some years now, without any rest days.

Go to a running store and get decent shoes, specifically made for running. The difference is incredible.