fcajump

Does your DZ require AAD's?

Not trying to take sides (here), just curious where we're at with DZ's taking a stand one way or another...

JW

Edited to add: to the wing-suiters and those who point out that I did not include "other" or "A-before-B, but not after C", sorry... I was distracted when typing it up and while I found how to edit the text of this message, I don't see any way to add options after the poll was created.:$
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Yes, unusually for a non-Quebec DZ in US / Canada, one DZ I jump at in Ontario just introduced an AAD policy.

This year you need an AAD if under 1000 jumps unless making an accuracy or CRW jump.

They used to be required for doing video only.

The DZO is getting older and more and more conservative, perhaps wanting to avoid lawsuits or ruining his 37+ year reputation of nobody having bounced at his DZ.

O.K ... So, how many AAD saves have there been (say per year) and as a percentage of all jumps done in those years?

I guess, what I'm asking is... What is the cost benefit equation?

This is a valid question for a lot of us, as an AAD cost about £1000 ....... and mine is about to Time-Ex:(

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

There is no "Other - please explain" in your poll. At my DZ AADs are only required for students (solo and tandem) and for Staff members in the air with students (AFF Instructors and Camera Flyers. Most people at my DZ jump an AAD but other than those mentioned above those without one are welcome.
Arrive Safely

John

Not trying to take sides (here), just curious where we're at with DZ's taking a stand one way or another...

JW

Yet another meaningless poll.B|

Why meaningless?
I jump at a DZ that requires them. I've always had one, one friend chose to jump there and had to have his Sweathog retro-fitted, and another friend that now only jumps 2 hours down the road at a DZ that does not require them.
I was curious about the answer.
As I presume that in addition to your snide comment you chose to express in your reply, that you chose not vote, I will suffer from slightly less information on the subject.

JW

JW

Why meaningless?
I jump at a DZ that requires them. I've always had one, one friend chose to jump there and had to have his Sweathog retro-fitted, and another friend that now only jumps 2 hours down the road at a DZ that does not require them.
As I presume that in addition to your snide comment you chose to express in your reply, that you chose not vote, I will suffer from slightly less information on the subject.

JW

As useful as having a poll: "Is your DZ windy?"
Yes/No/Oh yeah....

JW

Why meaningless?

JW

As useful as having a poll: "Is your DZ windy?"
Yes/No/Oh yeah....

If there was a device that would aide me in jumping in a wider range of conditions, then I might be interested in knowing how many people have higher winds and/or specifically different wind conditions and deal with situations I might find at DZ's that I don't normally jump at... When there is such a device, I'll be here to ask the question;) and I count on you to help us all see how pointless all of it is to you.:D
Kind of makes me wonder why you bother participating in so many discussions that you find pointless...? :S

Blue Skies (at least until those are pointless too),
JW
:P

JW

In New Zealand, the law requires ALL skydivers to have an approved AAD.

This is only because all kiwi's are covered by ACC. And you bouncing costs taxpayers money.

Definity not required at mine, but they are on all tandem and student rigs.

JW

You don't have to participate in the poll or post meaningless comments. :S

Move along, nothing to see here.

JW

Why meaningless?

It would be more meaningful if people were naming the DZs.

STF abides by the SIM requirements for student jumpers (yes). Up jumpers are optional.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

O.K ... So, how many AAD saves have there been (say per year) and as a percentage of all jumps done in those years?

I guess, what I'm asking is... What is the cost benefit equation?***

If it's my ass that gets saved because I get kicked in the head on a mass exit or rendered unable to throw out a pilot for whatever reason...the cost/benefit equation is a mute point. There's a guy at my DZ who lost his o2 on a high altitude jump and it saved his ass...he said waking up under canopy is a surreal experience.:o

If it's my ass that gets saved because I get kicked in the head on a mass exit or rendered unable to throw out a pilot for whatever reason...

Our pilot hates it when we throw him out!
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg