JustRelax

What is different about skydivers?

I have noticed they dont tend to watch sport on TV
If they watch sport on TV its car racing, so they are into speed.
They come from all walks of life?
They seem to be all quite different and independent in their own ways.

what else? and debate it, I am sure you will.

Ew, yuck. And I live in the south and real close to Daytona!

I'll watch college football, tennis, soccer, and as much of the Olympics this summer that I can.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hockey hockey hockey hockey! Fun to watch, even better to play...

Myself, I was rather disappointed by my only LIVE NHL game. Lightning at the Capitals... I learned that the only things more annoying than commercial breaks when you're sitting in front of the TV are the commercial breaks when you're sitting in the stands.

Now, back to the point of the thread: Skydivers are usually Type A folks, which means we're VERY passionate about whatever it is we love. Skydiving, guns, politics, drinking, our SOs, sports, whatever; that passion can (from time to time) lead to the "dz politics" we dislike so much, but usually just leads to all the fun and good times we have around each other....

Elvisio "type a all the way" Rodriguez

In general I think we're as different from one another as we are from non-jumpers. It's one of the things I like most about this sport. My skydiving friends come from all kinds of backgrounds, a huge age range, and have wildly different political opinions. Some are well-off, others can only jump once they've done enough pack jobs. Many of them I could never have got to know any other way, just because I think we must move in such different circles away from the dropzone.

Two areas where we're badly represented - obviously, we're a disproportionately male community, although to nowhere near the degree that whuffos seem to expect - and ethnicity. For some reason, at least where I've jumped in the UK, Europe and the US, skydiving seems to be a very 'white' sport. Which I think is strange, given that we're such a cross-section of society in many other ways.

I certainly don't buy into the theory (which I've heard several times) that we're all missing whatever it is in our brains that allows us to be excited by 'normal' activities... [:/]

>:(What, you don't watch freefly, RW and Swooping videos?
No Sports - BAH!:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I hardly watch TV at all. People, whether they skydive or not, are different from other people. I guess i don't understand the point of your post, so lets hope for a hijack soon. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Gawd, what is this another Freefly forum identity crisis thread? (:SOhh, why do we do what we do? Why are non-jumpers subhuman? What makes us special so we can look upon others with scorn?)

It's just people, people - the only thing that stands out is we all like skydiving and that's kind of a self fullfilling argument. If you want to feel special, do it because you're an individual, not because of some stupid hobby.

Who here hates car racing and thinks it's stupid for that matter?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Since I've been in the sport, I have thought that skydivers have a more relaxed layback mentality, most are super cool with very interesting backgrounds and/or jobs, most are very smart and keen in their own way and we sure know how to have a good time.

Yes we do. YEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA! :P;)
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

It's just people, people - the only thing that stands out is we all like skydiving and that's kind of a self fullfilling argument. If you want to feel special, do it because you're an individual

Yep, what he said. I cringe when I'm introduced to people as 'Mike, he jumps out of aeroplanes'. Honestly! At best it's a conversation starter, but at worst it instantly defines you in that person's eyes. I always get the feeling that the person you've just been introduced to now feels that they have nothing to say that could interest or impress you. Or, if they're the competitive type, then they have to best you in some way... :(

There is none. I tend to notice that skydivers tend to spend their weekends exclusively for jumping. that's about it.:) My best friend in the world doesn't skydive, nor does the bulk of my pals. I guess I am turned off by the people who place themselves above everyone else because they skydive. Hell. . .the word "wuffo" grates on my nerves. Sounds like geek-elitism. When I hear someone throw that word around with wreckless abandon, I picture in my mind the chess club person who laugh at jocks because they don't get it.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

There is definitely SOMETHING that makes us different from non-skydivers. And despite what the narrator of 'Adrenaline Rush' says, it is NOT because we like to put ourselves in 'danger'! (at least not for alysse and me)

Some of my non skydiving friends can't even be in the room if I have a skydive video playing, they don't even want to think about it......and we know it's impossible to describe the feelings of a skydive to them.

So there is some kind of adventurous nature to us. I personally like the feeling of accomplishment when I successfully complete the plan of a jump....learning how to fly through the efforts of body and mind coordination...learning how to pay attention to SO MANY factors on a short 1 minute activity...not everyone can do all that.

And very important, the sense of being together with others on a jump, the respect and watching out for each other required for a successful jump....we look out for each other, communicate nonverbally with eyes, motions, smiles.....At work they talk about 'teamwork', I see teamwork at its best when sharing the sky with friends...we may argue around the bonfire, but in the sky we work together.

marc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

Bill, I'm so with you on this. Every tight knit group, doesn't matter what sport: Rock Climbing, Bike Racing, or for that matter, those crazy people that do long distance runs. They all think they are special and stand apart from the normal people of the world. Most times it's called ego!

Most people that I meet and work with have no idea that I skydive. It's none of their business what I do in my free time. I don't need to impress anyone because of the sports that I enjoy.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Who here hates car racing and thinks it's stupid for that matter?

I'll jump on that boat. I am of the opinion that the only person having any fun is the driver...watching a bunch of cars drive around in a circle doesn't seem interesting to me, no matter how fast they are going. If I would get to drive, now we're talking.

Matt
A well-informed person is somebody who has the same views and opinions as yours.

Walk up to a skydiver you haven't met yet and say " Are you a jumper ? They say "Well yes i'm going to go do my 3000th jump." You say "Oh I thought you were a whuffo. I'm sorry."
I did a post about skydiver sex drive and couldn't believe the pissing contest that evolved.
Good luck and don't let these so called "skydivers" get to ya.
oh yea. I dislike watching most tv, movies, sports etc. Auto racing is for people that are not like me.And yes skydivers are different. They know what skydiving is.

I live on college football!

Beat The Hell Outta t.u.!

I watch *some* NFL, but not a whole lot, I'd rather watch college ball.

I watch some NASCAR, but not much.

You know what I love watching on TV? Real shows about fabricators making cool shit, like chopped motorcycles or hot rods...just about anything. So yup, I watch a lot of Discovery channel.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'll jump on that boat. I am of the opinion that the only person having any fun is the driver...watching a bunch of cars drive around in a circle doesn't seem interesting to me, no matter how fast they are going. If I would get to drive, now we're talking.

Replace "drive" with "skydive". That is what my whuffo friends think of watching skydiving videos. :D

"No, wait, this is really cool...watch this part, I swear it's interesting."

Replace "drive" with "skydive". That is what my whuffo friends think of watching skydiving videos. :D

"No, wait, this is really cool...watch this part, I swear it's interesting."

Good point. Those rolling eye looks are probably why I stopped 'offering' to show people some of my videos. Although, if they ask to see them....:D

Matt
A well-informed person is somebody who has the same views and opinions as yours.