Taris

Aerodyne Pilot

I can't speak to customer service except to say that they STILL haven't adequately identified the Triathlon linesets on their web page.
>:(

www.flyaerodyne.com, products, triathlon, tech specs, Triathlon line trim (PDF). I don't see the problem. What am I missing? Do you want trim specs for Dacron? Do you want to know trim specs for pre-4.0 line attachments? Can you not buy linesets from the store?

Order a lineset for a Triathlon...what do you get?
The 4.0 mod....with no identifying information attached, no trim chart included, nothing but pre-cut lines.

Seems to me that if you're going to modify something, you need to specify that the part IS a modification of the original...at the very least.

There's not even info anywhere on the web site identifying that there are different linesets for the Tri.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Pops,
The company now operating as Aerodyne has always had what is know to be the 4.0 Mod , so they have no need to manufacture a "Pre-4.0" line set.

Also the ONLY difference in the line set is that the inside UCL is longer by "X" inches.

If you have a Pre-4.0 model canopy and want to keep it has such, simply make the longer UCL the same length as the other three.

I understand the need to point out that there are differences in these older canopies, but there are people you can call to find out these things:).

It is all about resources I guess.

Cheers,
MEL

Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Why would that make any difference in what canopy you choose?

I suspect it's because Mark started Rainbow Skydivers and is an (the?) organizer of the Rainbow Boogie so he's wanting to support manufacturers who support him. He's stating his ability to choose. The reason was implied.

Nova
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Why would that make any difference in what canopy you choose?

Makes perfect sense actually. If your looking at a few products options (canopies in this case) and are finding theses products to be very similar in characteristics for your needs, you start looking for other features benefits ect. Again all things being pretty equal, you find one company supports an event that you believe in, this can sway your opinion pendulum towards them. People will tend to support a company that supports things they believe in...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I didn't read through the thread, and you probably got all the input you need, but i'll throw a little in.

I had a pilot 150 loaded at 1:1 for about 130-140 jumps. It was a real fun canopy, toggle turns were so fast, i really believe it turned as fast, if not faster, than my current stilletto 135.

The only discrepancy i have with the canopy is the flare leaves a little to be desired on no-wind days. The flare on the student sabre-2 170 i used to jump was better.

I tried the Sabre2 150, Safire2 149, Pilot 140, and a couple other candidates for my future canopy, and I still liked the Pilot too. Remarkably, the Pilot 140 floated down slower and recovrs faster than the Sabre2 150 and Safire2 149, as well as a few other demos I tried. It may be part to line trim and age of canopy, but I tried two separate Pilot 140's and a Pilot 150, so it became my general impression they got a high "docility factor" relative to its size -- that is, ease, predictability, vertical speed at full glide, speed of recovery from turns, etc. It also why I change my mind to 140 instead of 150 if I got a Pilot (also that I've been demoing the 150 size many times everywhere I see a demo booth). But then again, I have over 500 jumps now and still not too swoop oriented. That kind of canopy for me still good for bigway jumping: I would probably have chosen it, but the fact they came to the boogie I organized with other RainbowSkydivers, did cinch my decision. Also, the fact I am a big way jumper that wants to be on the World Team, I'm waiting for the Aerodyne "World Team" special I would qualify for if I got invited to the 2011 event...

Wow, you replied to an old post of mine!

how does the pilot do at just under 1.5 w/l ing?

Since I posted that message, I also demoed a Pilot 124 at 1.5WL (I was loading it at approximate maximum rating, on its warning label) on a calm day, two times. One straight in and one double-front assisted straight-in. It does not flare as well at 1.5 for these types of 'ordinary' approaches, I preferred the Pilot at either wingload of 1.35 or 1.4, since they behaved as the sweet spot for me. The Pilot 140 is the sweet spot. For the 140 size for my 195-200lbs exit weight, the landing is easy no matter how I land (brakes, risers, etc.), and it was pretty tame to let me do occasional 90 degree swoop without feeling threatened (something only done when I was past my 500th jump), on those good-weather days when I'm not doing big ways jumps.

So based on personal experience (about three dozen demo jumps combined, on 124, three different 140, and at least two different 150), I don't recommend the Pilot at 1.5, but it works great at 1.3 and 1.4.

I almost bought a Pilot at two opportunities (The 124 was being offered at a great price, but I decided 124 was way too small for me). I still have an unanswered inquiry about a potential RainbowSkydiver-logo canopy price estimate (new Pilot with custom logo) that I still need to prod Aerodyne about. NZ Aerosports confirmed they can do it with the SkyArt option, but I prefer to support Aerodyne...

After all, I need to replace my Sabre soon. Even though it's still in excellent condition and opens fine (if *I'm* the one packing it), it is now itself approaching 800 jumps.

Hey,
Just wanted to post an update because I forgot to. Aerodyne did now reply to my inquiry. So all is good, although I've now had to save up again.

Sorry, I should have mentioned. Also, I've demoed at a few different elevations from near sea level, to places like Perris. The dense air at the lowest levels will provide the benchmark for me -- landing at higher altitudes will be more challenging. For the Pilot 124 which was demoed at landing less than 1Kft AGL. I agree you can probably easily land it fun in a swoop, but I am a travelling skydiver -- doing BIG WAYS with 1-in-10 chance of an 'out' landing -- which means I will try the parachute at events where Aerodyne typically sets up a booth, so I got experience under Pilot 140 at elevations up to 4Kft -- I've been demoing for 4 years and haven't bought yet. (Still on the same size). I need a parachute that will be fun to land straight-in, while allowing me to play with some light/tame recreational swooping. Landing a WL 1.5 pilot straight-in at near sea level is beginning to behave more like a 7 cell canopy -- you now have to flare harder and it won't surf without front riser acceleration. Pilot's are trimmed to fly slow and less steep, so you don't have as much speed for flare room under less square footage. It becomes better if you accelerate it first, but again, I'm looking for a different sweet spot than a swooper - the ability to still be able to land it in a backyard while also still letting me learn more swoop techniques safely at a leisurely pace as a secondary/tertiary interest.

I got a chance to demo jump a Pilot 132. Now I've tried all Pilot sizes from 124 to 150. I liked the Pilot 132 landings, and I could easily land it without front riser acceleration, very easy with front risers, and it landed even more beautifully.

P.S. -- I think the 'max loading' rating on the warning label of the Pilot 124 was pretty accurate; when I demoed the Pilot 124 last summer I was right exactly at that number (or about 2 pounds overlimit).