Nightingale

Perris Bird Update

Hey Kris,

I've been reading and anxiously waiting to see updates on lil Icarus (what a beautiful bird).... I'm sending vibes and all that good stuff (behind the scenes in my usual manner).

But, what I must say, I think you are by far one the "good ones." I am amazed every time I read what you do. you never hesitate to offer a helping and loving hand. I wish we could clone and bottle you up for the world.

(((((((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))))))))))

Thanks Kris for being you!!!! :)

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

I spoke with Cyndi at the rescue last night. Icarus was doing well and happily munching her second mouse of the day. She's still having some balance and vision problems, and hopefully that'll just take time.

Good to know the bird's OK; How's the mouse?:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I registered her on Pets911 as a found critter looking for her owner. Also on the only falconry database I could find.

Outstanding - you're a sweetie...B|

If it turns out that the Kestrel has indeed been abandoned, I hope the Conatsers are willing to adopt it as their mascot.B|

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

VIBES NEEDED URGENTLY!

I just spoke with Cyndi at the refuge.

She told me Icarus has gone downhill fast today because of the concussion. She wouldn't eat her mouse, and she's having trouble balancing and her breathing seemed strained. Cyndi doesn't think she's going to make it.

Cyndi asked me to decide whether or not to euthanize her, as she's obviously special to us. I asked if she was in pain, and was told probably not, but with a bird its hard to tell.

I asked Cyndi to let Icarus make the call as to whether it was her time or not. That little one's a fighter, and I'd like to give her a chance, even though right now things look really, really bad.

I'm sitting here crying right now. I hope I chose what she would want me to choose. I really hope that she's not hurting, and that I made the right decision to keep her here a while longer and hope against all odds that she can pull through. I honestly don't know what's right in this situation...

please, everyone, send some vibes and prayers her way. thanks.

VIBES NEEDED URGENTLY!

I just spoke with Cyndi at the refuge.

She told me Icarus has gone downhill fast today because of the concussion. She wouldn't eat her mouse, and she's having trouble balancing and her breathing seemed strained. Cyndi doesn't think she's going to make it.

Cyndi asked me to decide whether or not to euthanize her, as she's obviously special to us. I asked if she was in pain, and was told probably not, but with a bird its hard to tell.

I asked Cyndi to let Icarus make the call as to whether it was her time or not. That little one's a fighter, and I'd like to give her a chance, even though right now things look really, really bad.

I'm sitting here crying right now. I hope I chose what she would want me to choose. I really hope that she's not hurting, and that I made the right decision to keep her here a while longer and hope against all odds that she can pull through. I honestly don't know what's right in this situation...

please, everyone, send some vibes and prayers her way. thanks.

Awww!

Vibes and prayers are urgently sent - this beautiful being has graced us with its presence, and knows the joy that we are priveleged to experience - that is - we know why the Kestrel sings.

Icarus - I pray for you to get well. You have no idea how much your human brethren adore you and share your love of the air. Regards. edit for spelling.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Prayer is a powerful thing. And you have done your share to generate prayers for Icarus. If it is meant to be she will make it. We have a cat that suffers from lukemia and aids. Every time he gets sick we think we are going to lose him. But thanks to good veterinary skills and lots of prayers, he is thankfully still with us. So don't give up hope. She just may make it. :)

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

aww, that sucks the icarus passed.

I just read this thread and I thought the end would have been better news. its great to hear that the people their would spend a few $ each to help get medical attention for the little guy(girl) I just wish the outcome had been better news
My photos

My Videos

I'm sorry to hear about Icarus, they are wonderful little birds. It was sweet of you to put so much effort into taking care of her.

However, the lady at the rehab center has no idea what she is talking about - animosity and mutual ignorance between falconers and rehabbers is foolishly common. I'm an apprentice falconer, and I currently have a red-tailed hawk. Yeah, he's nasty, but we like them like that. By far, the vast majority of apprentice falconers choose red-tails. They are easier to train, and much hardier. I know a dozen apprentices, none have a kestrel. An NO apprentice is under any circumstances allowed to take and raise a baby bird.

Based on that kestrel's behavior, I can almost guarantee that it was not raised by a falconer. It was almost certainly raised by a human as it is obviously imprinted, and I can't think of any reason any falconer would want to imprint a kestrel.

One of my falconry buddies also runs a rehab center for birds of prey, and what they see all the time is birds that some kid picks up and thinks would be neat to raise until deciding they don't want it any more, at which point it is released. This is common with kestrels, as they are the only raptor that will nest in the bird houses people put in their back yards. Since it wasn't raised by its parents, it has no idea of how to fend for itself, so those birds often end up being found near death, just as Icarus was. Even if they survive they can never go back to the wild because an imprinted bird will exhibit dangerous behaviors, especially come breeding season, sometimes even attacking people, but usually just not having enough fear of people to survive. Per federal raptor regulations, those birds must be permanently maintained in captivity, or euthanized. Most are euthanized, sadly.:(

Anyway, I thought you might want some insight into what might be her story. I know those birds do have a way of capturing your heart, and now you do too. You'll never look at them the same way again.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry