FlyingJ

Diving...SCUBA and Sky?

I've noticed several posts lately that mention SCUBA diving in some respect. Just curious how many skydivers here also SCUBA dive. Did one in anyway lead you to the other? Are there many people with instructor ratings in the air that also have them underwater?

Underwater I have my AOW, EAN and drysuit, and plan on doing Rescue and Intro to Cavern/Cave in the next couple months.

In the air...well I start AFF this weekend (which, if I think reali$tically, means that the Rescue and Cavern/Cave classes probably won't be happening quite that soon).

Would especially like to connect with any SCUBA divers in the Atlanta area interested in doing some quarry or spring diving.
Killing threads since 2004.

Know what you mean. It will probably be a similar situation for me w/ skydiving. I'm going to go strong for a bit but money is going to run out and we'll have to see what happens then.

I've got my scuba gear so if I lived somewhere that water was a little more accessible I'd be diving all the time. I plan on moving to Florida sometime in the not-too-distant future to volunteer with AmeriCorps though, so I hope to get plenty of diving in then.

I can see that. Skydiving is pretty cut and dry, and relatively low maintenence in regard to what can happen to you. Not to downplay it at all, but shit happens and it's right out in front of you, and once you land and are safe you are done. A mal is a mal and you either fix it or you don't. Scuba can be scary with how many things can be starting to go wrong inside without any warning signs, and if you are careless how something like O2 toxicity or DCS can get you.

And for ChaosKitty - no chance of running into sharks (or tuna) in the air.

Glad to talk with some other scuba divers...really looking forward to joining the ranks in the air.

I did my first few dives outsidea pool in PA. Not Allentown though, it was...shit, I can't remember the name now...

They call themselves the only beach in PA. They have a bunch of caterpillar type equipment in the quarry, along with two boats.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I scuba. I actually consider it the more dangerous sport. Skydiving is a lot more fun, I think.

have to disagree, for the most part your friends cant help you in skydiving, its up to you to figure it out and take the appropriate action... sure there are alot more technical details to track (before dive comps at least) in SCUBA than skydiving, but the effects of a critical mistake or malfunction are more immediately lethal in skydiving..

SSI open water since the early 90s but i haven’t SCUBA’d since i moved away from FL 4 years ago....not as much access in AZ...I’d love to SCUBA more, but I really don’t have the time for two sports where it is a bad idea not to keep current

Husband and I do both...well, he has his cert's taken care of for SCUBA, I have mine skydiving...now I'm working on finishing my cert's for SCUBA, while he finishes his for skydiving...

Our 8 yr old daughter is also starting SCUBA lessons next month. B|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I love SCUBA. I just did my classroom work for PADI rescue diver, now I just need to get the open water time in. I'm planning a trip to Florida this fall to dive at Key Largo and jump at Sebastian. In fact it seems like Florida has a lot of good diving (espically if you are into cave diving) and a lot of DZ's. Hmm, Maybe this warrents a longer trip... Just not a good idea to go SCUBA diving then skydiving...you're supposed to wait 24 hours to even go on a commercial flight....it definatly wouldn't be a good thing to dive in the morning then ride to 15k in an unpressurized cabin that afternoon!

I can see that. Skydiving is pretty cut and dry, and relatively low maintenence in regard to what can happen to you. Not to downplay it at all, but shit happens and it's right out in front of you, and once you land and are safe you are done. A mal is a mal and you either fix it or you don't. Scuba can be scary with how many things can be starting to go wrong inside without any warning signs, and if you are careless how something like O2 toxicity or DCS can get you.

You have to really try to kill yourself on scuba. You probably have a buddy, in the worst case you can do a blow and go for the surface. Any problems you encounter you're likely to have minutes to deal with, not seconds.

OxTox is virtually impossible to do on air, and you have to really push it on nitrox given the conservatism of the 1.4 PPO2 threshold.

Overall on a per "dive" basis, skydiving is twice as likely to be fatal. 6 times the dives, 3 times the fatalities. But cardiac cases are a big chunk of scuba deaths - should they count? And the injury rate isn't remotely close - I've yet to hear of a diver who broke their femur.

The depth/time/air awareness you develop as a competent diver will serve you well in the air, but don't let your guard down. On the plus side, skydivers look out for each other much more than divers tend to.

I’m a PADI instructor here in the UK, I have been diving for a couple of years, I only teach friends really or help out at a dive shop every now and again. The question of which is more dangerous, part of me thinks SCUBA, because you are putting your self in an enjoinment that you are unable to survive in with out the aid of equipment, I have seen some bad things happen under water and had to stop some situations from getting out of hand, I have also had to stop myself from helping a buddy too or else we would have both been put at risk (she was helped by someone more experienced than me, we were on a 55m dive and I was only on air). SCUBA is relaxing, when done at a recreational level (not technical), skydiving is a challenge. I seem to remember reading the reported incident rates from both sports being of a similar level, but then it depends on what you read when.

Both are good sports and compliment each other
:D:ph34r:

Sky...3,300 jumps, PRO, S/L and Tandem "I"
SCUBA ~400 dives (I live in FL. I did 150 in 6 mths.) Master rated.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I did my first few dives outsidea pool in PA. Not Allentown though, it was...shit, I can't remember the name now...
They call themselves the only beach in PA. They have a bunch of caterpillar type equipment in the quarry, along with two boats.

Bainbridge Quarry? That's where I did my check out dives. I got certified through SSI when I was 11 or 12 years old, so dad would have a buddy on vacations. Moved to FLorida, got re-checked out since it had been a while. Florida diving is amazing here on the east coast, better than what I saw in Cozumel.

__

I guess it can be easily debated which one is more dangerous, but you know, all that matters is that they both kick ass! I really look forward to moving down to Florida eventually where it will be a little more accessible.

Was supposed to have had an AmeriCorps volunteer position in the Keys for a year, but the funding fell through, so now I'm looking throughout the state for another opportunity.

I remember going through the course and learning the depth charts and times - and the instructor shows me this section and says it will be on the test - so know it pretty well.

It was about riding in a plane directly after a dive. The section WARNED about skydiving - lol - at that moment - I knew this was not what I wanted to do - I was doing this to appease my father - who was getting his instructor rating - I was 16.

Thank you for reminding me.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I started diving in 87 or 88 and received my PADI instructor's cert in 94 and continued on to getting my Master Scuba Diver Trainer cert. I also got burnt out on diving after 4 or 5K dives and all the teaching so I quit teaching this year. Too much time for very little money was the culprit.

An upcoming scuba trip I am planning......diving a u-boat (u-260)near Cork,Ireland June of 2005....expect deco diving but probably not tri mix, drysuit desirable but not necessary.....if interested you know where to find me!

My brothers getting into wreck diving. That is some hard core diving from what he tells me.The training is pretty intense. Looks like a lot of fun. I might try it in the future when I can afford both sky and scuba diving.

The question of which is more dangerous, part of me thinks SCUBA, because you are putting your self in an enjoinment that you are unable to survive in with out the aid of equipment

Try jumping without a parachute!

It looks like one of these days a wing suiter might land without one, or someone will use a pillowcase, but the rest of us need lots of equipment.

meanwhile, you can free dive with nothing.

I scuba (PADI--open water)...but honestly haven't since I started jumping 4 years ago. Not really on purpose though. 4 years ago is also when I met my boy-toy (after I graduated AFF) and he isn't licensed and since I moved in with him, I don't know anyone up here who does.

Excuses, excuses, but no more excuses this Fall after my hunny gets certified;):P I'm very excited b/c I am jones'n to go:P

Oh, and I actually sold my scuba gear (I had it all) to help pay for my AFF; go figure. But, unless you go more than a couple times a year, there's no sense in having it anyways. I will probably buy new gear, though, once my hunny gets his license.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.