FlyingJ

Getting paid and doing nothing. A bad thing?

If I was getting paid and there was nothing for me to do I would find something. If that failed I would pick up a broom, mop, windex, etc... and cleaned something.

Then again I'm just old-fashioned. It's the way I was raised and trained.

Right there with 'ya. All of the supplies have been coordinated, confidential trash has been shredded and area around the shredder vacumed, the common areas have all been wiped down, virus checks run on the common use computers, other departments asked if they could use any help...literally nothing else to do other than do it all again, and some of it has already been done twice today. :)
Killing threads since 2004.

it would look kinda strange if a senior consultant was sweeping the hallways...

Yeah, it would actually give them the impression that you're a leader who leads from the front, not the rear. It would show them that you are not above any one thing. It would show them that you see what they see, feel what they feel, smell what they smell, etc... Yeah...wouldn't want that to happen.

my days of doing "busy work" were over when I left the military...

Man. Where has all the hard working ethics gone? Is there any acheivers left in the world?

Forty-two

I get paid to think - so figure that one out. Hmmm, I'm reading cnn.com, but I'm also pondering the implications of the next round of procedures on certain technologies in our environment. Guess I could do that with a broom too, but hey, I don't sweep my own house let alone this cube farm.

I also find e-learning very rewarding when I have free time. I'm at my desk and earning credits in whatever I'm studying that week.CBTs ROCK!

Is a chicken omelette redundant?

At my work, there is a saying that goes "If you got time to lean, you got time to clean."

And a very good saying too.

The sad thing is people feel that the higher they climb the ladder the less they have to do. Extremely backwards.

When I was in the Navy one of my O-5s would often pick up a mop and scrub the floors right there next to us peons. It didn't just stop there. When handing out cleaning tasks he often assigned the harder, more dirty duties to himself.

What did that do? It made us look up to him in a way few enlisted men looked at officers. He had the pulse of every man under him. He was a true leader. He lead from the front.

And because of his leadership we would follow him anywhere. And he knew it.

Forty-two

I've been here since around 9am today and have done aproximately 30 minutes worth of work.
:S

That's about 20 more than me. I got here at 6:00 to get stuff done and have been surfing the net all day.

Wow, thanks! I feel better now. :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

At my work, there is a saying that goes "If you got time to lean, you got time to clean."

And a very good saying too.

The sad thing is people feel that the higher they climb the ladder the less they have to do. Extremely backwards.

When I was in the Navy one of my O-5s would often pick up a mop and scrub the floors right there next to us peons. It didn't just stop there. When handing out cleaning tasks he often assigned the harder, more dirty duties to himself.

What did that do? It made us look up to him in a way few enlisted men looked at officers. He had the pulse of every man under him. He was a true leader. He lead from the front.

And because of his leadership we would follow him anywhere. And he knew it.

Ok, hold on a minute!! Just like that one guy said -- he gets paid for his mind. Me, too. I get paid for my expertise in a certain area. And, believe me, when stuff needs to get done, I do it. And I'm damn good at it, too! But there are days of downtime or times when you get stuck on something or times inbetween projects when you are bored. Thats just the way it is.

Back in high school I worked at McDonalds. Back then I shared your sentiment. I always used to resent it that the head manager wasn't back in the kitchen helping us mop the floors or wash the dishes. Then one day we got a really big lunch rush, so he actually did come back and help wrap the food. And just then some of his friends came walking in. They saw him back there and said "Whoa! Whats up? Did ya get demoted to cook there?" Then I realized. They are right! He was the head manager, not the cook! And he shouldn't be expected to mop the floors to get respect from us. It is our job to mop the floors, his job to run the store. Thats just the way it us. Everyone has their job. As long as you get treated with respect, you shouldn't hold it against your boss if he doesn't do your job. Thats not his job.

There, I said my piece. :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

i love pointing out to the officious military types, that when they see me “sitting around doing nothing” now, its because i already did all the work that was necessary for them to accomplish their mission, and that everything is working as it supposed to, except for the idiot questioning me instead of doing his task...

proper planning, preparation, and 'pre'-execution ensures that the bulk of my visible job is always waiting for something to break or (more often) some one to 'break' it... if the brass actually sees me work, either we didn’t accomplish enough before they arrived, or were farther behind we started in the first place and are still playing catch up.

busy work is assine, particularly when your job is to maintain active systems..sure i could help the janitor scrub the head, while everything is running smoothly, but then I’d be neglecting my job to do his...every piece has a function in complex systems, if one piece tries to do or dictate everyone else’s job/time usage things only really move slower...

but there is always some officious twit to assign busy work in any hour/shift based labor, even when the real work is being accomplished. All so everyone 'looks' busy instead of focusing on the tasks they are responsible for.....

I’m sure you heard it before, work smarter, not harder.

efficient, more efficient, more effective than simple minded brute force methods while your CO is cleaniing the head his ship is about to be sunk by those who worked smarter.

old school always believes the world is ending when it evolves past their methods and understanding.

proper application of individual effort ensures that more total labor is accomplished by the minimal amount of work required from each piece. This enables those who control such units and systems to "do more with less" total effort than any 'hard-working' man ever dreamed possible.

another term you might have heard. "Force multiplier".

it was reflected in Olympic basket ball, where each piece doing its job in the right time (real teamwork) beat the combined efforts of the "super stars" working hard trying to do everything themselves.

Since you obviously work sooo much harder than everyone here I think I will just sit around some more tomorrow whilst you pat yourself on the back for being so much better than me.

I am paid for my technical skills and backround, not to clean the latrine. While your highly simplistic and unenlightened view of "hardwork" may have applied to swabbing the decks with the squiddies it really does not have any bearing on the corporate or scientific world.

As far as which one of us is right, I bet the "lazy" people here make far more money, are better educated, and have more tangible responsibility at their places of business than you really understand.

But if it makes you feel better, you can take out my trash for me...
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Really, I was good. I've got nothing to worry about.

I'm a government employee..........I get paid to do damn near nothing for YEARS at a time. However, when it's time to work.......it could be hairy. B| I do have to qualify once every 3 months if that counts. I guess I mostly get paid for good muscle memory. :D