Duckwater

Quitting Skydiving

I am seriously considering selling my gear and quitting skydiving entirely. Needless to say, it is not an easy decision. Several factors:

1. Lack of Currency - I am working a lot and do not have the time to Skydive almost daily like I did at Perris. Plus I am 1.5 hours from Skydive Dallas and the weather in TX is not always nice. Not only is there a safety factor, but skydives are not as fun when you are not as good a flier as you used to be.

2. The rash of incidents with life changing/ending reprocussions. The last incident was a gut check. There have been 3 people I have known, all way smarter than me, all fairly conservative except for that one brain fart, that have had serious accidents. Both people I know named Rich that skydive have compound fractued their tib-fibs. This sport IS really dangerous. It makes me sick to my stomach to see good people hurt in the name of fun. I feel my number is about due. Im not a chicken, I just have this feeling that I need to quit while I am ahead.

Seeing all the pain really distacts from the fun.

The thought of never skydiving again is also very troubling, espevially since the people in the sport have had a dramatic and lasting effect on my life and the way I conduct it. I am so much less of a materialistic, egotistical asshole because of all the people that skydive that really have their values in check.

ARRGGHHH!

Mike

Skydiving is a way of life for some of us...I don't know if I would ever to be able to quit. Nor would I want too. I know someone that died recently but at the same time I know that she would rather us all continue to skydive as not to mourn her...but to celebrate her life and the sport

these posts come up now and then, and it always boils down to the same answer: Skydiving is a very personal choice. If you feel you need to step back, you are probably right. If you miss it you will know, and then you can come back, the sport isn't going anywhere.
Do what you have to do brudda......
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

I live about 10 miles from where Skydive Texas used to be in Decatur. My Dad flew with the owner as an airline pilot. I knew enough to stay away long before I started skydiving. Skydive Dallas is the closest. Im going Saturday to help make a decision.

Mike

Mike --

I think the motivations for stopping are just as varied as those for starting. Maybe you've gotten what you needed to get out of the sport and are ready to move on to something else. Anyway, you're always welcome to come back if you later decide that's also the right thing to do.

See ya.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Paul,
The other big issue is that I got spoiled rotten at Perris...Think if that is the only place you ever jumped. Skydive Dallas is cool, but it's no Perris...

I know I can start again someday but, it is still a momentous decision to sell my beloved rig...It so....final...even though I could buy another one.....

The other big issue is that I got spoiled rotten at Perris...Think if that is the only place you ever jumped. Skydive Dallas is cool, but it's no Perris...

Honestly, that's a piss poor reason. I can understand safety, etc, but being a brat about facilities...that I can't understand.

A 182 gets you in the same kind of air that a S. Otter does. Just because you're not jumping with world champions that deem you worth to jump with, doesn't mean you can't have fun with other jumpers. It also doesn't mean you couldn't take some newbie jumpers under your wing and teach them.

SD Dallas is a "cold" DZ, but its not bad once you meet some folks. If you're really upset about it, try another DZ. There's a few within a couple hours drive of ya.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Take a break for 6 months or so, try out some other things, then swing by a dropzone and see if the familiar sights and sounds of skydiving really do draw you back in more than the other sports you had gotten into during your time off. After that if you don't get instantly re-addicted the moment you step onto the DZ, then you'll know for sure it's time to move on.

Honestly, that's a piss poor reason. I can understand safety, etc, but being a brat about facilities...that I can't understand.

You are correct and that is not really in my thoughts...I think I am over-analyzing but I am trying to be rational, and weigh the risk v. reward...The recent incidents are not helping the reward side. Im sure I will forever second guess whatever i decide...I hope I have a blast at Skydive Dallas Saturday....And, I am pretty confident in my judgement not to do something stupid...but then again, I blew through a red light big time the other day...off in la la land.....

I'm seriously considering selling my gear and quitting skydiving altogether

.....:o [:/] try this instead.....

quit skydiving,, but if your gear is relatively state of the art,,, don't sell it just yet...:|

it will hold its value for the immediate future.....

you can always sell it later..... OR you may find that after a while,,, being,, "ground bound" doesn't agree with you and you MAY find that you would LIKE to visit the DZ and make a few...
Then you still have a rig with which you are comfortable....( parting with your gear,,, is SO final )
and just in case you head Back to Perris for a visit or something,,,, you will be "good to go",,, Just get a reserve repack.....
:ph34r:

Take a break if you need to, Mike. Skydiving will still be there. Or if you just don't want to jump as regularly, buy a bigger canopy and make a checklist of things to go over before jumping when you are feeling uncurrent.

I understand how you feel though... I have all but quit jumping right now. My issues are different than yours, but it still comes down to the same thing... If your heart is not into it then it is not worth the risk.

This sport IS dangerous... And, unfortunately, it seems that a lot of people are going out of their way to make it more dangerous than it needs to be.

Most of the friends you have made will still be your friends whether you are jumping or not...

Just because you're not jumping with world champions that deem you worth to jump with, doesn't mean you can't have fun with other jumpers. It also doesn't mean you couldn't take some newbie jumpers under your wing and teach them.

Dave You missunderstand the Perris appeal. Sure there are world champions to jump with if you want but it is exactly the second part of your post that makes Perris a FUN DZ. There is always something going on at every level to get involved with.

Skydiving started out as a wild journey that was full of extremes.
Now it has become predictable.
It becomes a hassle. Find something new.

I flew airshows so the act of jumping out of a plane was not a big rush or anything, The extremes came from hangin out with other skydivers....If you come from the 'corporate, materialism got to Bed Bath and Beyond" world that I came from and do AFF in 2 days, and skydive every day and basically turn your back on your old lifestyle, its a big deal.

Skydiving was more a lifestyle change for the better for me and thats why Im reluctant. I am leaning towards stickin with it and use my efforts and drive to make the sport safer.

Frankly, I dont find the act of skydiving all that fun. I find the interactions and bonds with others as something you will not get anywhere else and priceless.

I did find another hobby - Kart Racing - the driving is so damn fun, but the people at the track are all extras for King of the Hill,,,Kart racing is way more fun than skydiving but, instead of the Bombshelter, you drink a Budweiser with Skeeter and Red and talk about Dale Jr....

Mike

Whats really odd, there is a GREAT rigger right down the street in Denton...John Story....No where near a DZ....Its EASY to keep reserve repacked. Mabye I should by a Pilatus Porter and sart my own DZ....

Well, after you do, that'll make the decision to quit or not real easy. :D:D
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

It's not a bad reason at all, I can understand it. If there's no one at your dz that you have 'fun' jumping with, you lose a big part of the reason you jump. If you don't like being cramped up in a cessna for 30 minutes to get to 10k, it makes it a little less fun, maybe not worth your money.
Not a bad reason at all. Both have kept me from jumping a few weekends. Just one more factor in what he's feeling.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Mike,
Maybe try some RW, it may rejuvenate your passion for the sport. I agree about SDD. I quit for 2 yrs. when I just started the sport after 4 AFF jumps but for different reasons before I bought gear. 4 yrs.
later, I couldn't be more pleased that I returned with a passion. Go with your heart but I recommend not selling your gear right off the bat!

I also have seriously thought about giving up the sport about 2 or 3 times in the past year, but I just continue to keep going out there and jumping.

1. Most of my jumps now a days are work jumps. Strap on 200lbs of meat, go for a tandem. Grab ahold of 200lbs of meat and do an aff. Strap on a camera and film 200lbs of meat falling through the sky.

2. The DZ I mainly jump at is usually filled with low timers. It get's old planning a 4 way or something and then getting down from the dive having spent all of it with 2 people together, and one person low and another 20 feet out trying to "Get in". Don't get me wrong... Low timers need to be coached and helped along, but I also need to be coached and helped along. There's no challenge in it any more.

3. As for the danger of the sport and getting injured,
I to sometimes feel my number is coming up. I'm not worried about hooking myself into the ground, I'm more worried about someone flying out of their league and hooking into me on final approach, and kiling us both. It happens all the time, look at Roger Nelson (R.I.P.).

4. Finally I just don't get the vibes that I used to get from going to the DZ. I go do my work and then leave. Nothing is really motivating me to stick around. I usually don't even pack after the last load of the day, I just cram it into the trunk and hall ass for an hour to get back to my house. How many of you guys stick around and drink beer, and bullshit till late in the night at your DZ? It just doesn't really happen here.

I don't know if I'm growing out of the sport or if I'm just burnt out.........

I'm not worried about hooking myself into the ground, I'm more worried about someone flying out of their league and hooking into me on final approach, and kiling us both. It happens all the time, look at Roger Nelson (R.I.P.).

This is definitely my biggest issue with the sport right now. I've had at least one VERY close call with someone who was on a small canopy (too high-performance for his abilities) that he had absolutely NO business trying to land in a crowded landing area. I really don't care if someone wants to risk their own life, but the problem is that most of these people do not realize that they are putting others in danger too.

This is the only reason I would like to see more regulation... Whether it is a wingloading BSR or simply a requirement that swoopers have a different landing area far away from the non-swoopers, or that they be required to pass a proficiency test before being allowed to land in the same area with the non-swoopers. (But really the two different landing styles don't seem to work very well together.)