moodyskydiver

cutaway on my recurrency jump yesterday

Ok since AggieDave got to be the first to spill the beans on my getting current yesterday, I promised those who were asking that I'd give the details on my cutaway.Its not very interesting as it was a relatively minor incident which was more annoying than anything else.But here ya go.

After deploying, the chest strap smacked me in the face (chipping one tooth I might add :S). So that was annoying but its happened before and I discussed this w/the instructors when we put the gear on. We adjusted my rig as best as possible but lets face it,I'm just a short pudge lil chick and gear just isnt going to fit me well. So my canopy looks great but I cant reach my toggles! My arms are so short I can barely get a fingertip into them. After I thought I had a grip on them I tried to unstow them but the right one slipped out of my hand just as I released the left. Ok now I'm slowly turning/spinning and the right toggle is still stowed but has moved a few inches further away b/c its only stowed by the top inch of velcro.Definitely out of reach now. Shit. I let the left back up and go for risers. I stabled out the turn long enough to try one last ditch effort at the right toggle with no luck. Its just not happening for me today. So I see how my stearability is with the risers..no luck there either. Not only is my left toggle still making me turn but I have next to no upper body strength to stear with the risers. I check and theres no way I can correct the turning all the way down and flare this enough to land without getting hurt. Ok its 2.8K I give up. I went smoothly through my emergency procedures and the whole time thinking “well shit. what if I cant reach these toggles either?” But they were right there waiting under my pretty reserve. So I reorient myself, get into my pattern and land without incident. My instructors walk over to where I’m sitting in the grass and there in my lap are BOTH my handles! woohoo! I kept them both without even thinking about it.

I kept my cool, never got nervous (I was annoyed more than anything lol) and I’m very pleased with my decisions and my actions. After talking to my instructors, they seem pleased with my actions and assure me that in this situation and at my skill level etc. I did the right thing. Thats all I can ask for. I’ll be back at the DZ as soon as possible to get back up and do it again.

I’m a little sore and bruised up, but being able to walk away from a cutaway with nothing but a few bruises and a chipped tooth is a small price to pay.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

it's too bad you have to jump skechey gear.

Oh wait a minute and back that train up. Todd keeps his gear is great shape. You need to go back to Amber's post and read what she wrote about the gear fitting correct and her body size.

Todd runs a small DZ, and can't run out and buy a new rig just for that one student. Besides, how was anyone to know that Amber would not be able to reach the toggles? I'm sure if Amber tells him she is going to be jumping out there more often, he will go out of his way to make sure she can reach the toggles next time.

Aggieland is one of the safest DZs I've seen in a long time. Todd and his staff go out of their way to make sure everything is safe. Why not head out for the Boogie, and check it out yourself?

Amber, great job, Turtle called me today and told me about it. Are you going to be at the boogie?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Oh wait a minute and back that train up. Todd keeps his gear is great shape. You need to go back to Amber's post and read what she wrote about the gear fitting correct and her body size.

Todd runs a small DZ, and can't run out and buy a new rig just for that one student. Besides, how was anyone to know that Amber would not be able to reach the toggles? I'm sure if Amber tells him she is going to be jumping out there more often, he will go out of his way to make sure she can reach the toggles next time.

Exactly correct. We knew before we ever got in the plane that the rig wasnt exactly a dream fit for my body size, but thats just how it goes.I've had the same thing happen at another DZ on their student gear. I was just lucky enough to have been able to reach the toggles that time.Student gear is "one size fits no one." This DZ,staff and gear is safe and I have confidence in that.If I weren't, I wouldn't have chosen Aggieland as the DZ to do my recurrency training after a 2 yr layoff (trust me, there are atleast 2 other DZs in my area other than Aggieland.I had options.) Moral of this story:shit happens.

Before I left the DZ last night Todd and I discussed what we could do to adjust the rig and avoid this situation again.The next time I go to the DZ I'll be getting back in that same rig and I'm confident things will be just fine.:)

Are you going to be at the boogie?

I'm planning on it. I have a Dr.'s appointment that Friday and a family reunion that Sunday.It'll be a stretch but I'm trying to schedule all three. More than likely I'll be at the boogie late Fri afternoon/night and leave Sun morning. I'll be there if its at all possible (if I dont sunny will kill me.);)

Yes, sh*t happens...especially when the student is smaller than average. As a student at a small DZ (pre-Perris and Elsinore), I was using ridiculously huge rigs and flying a 280 main...:D I totally understand, Moody girl. I'm so glad that Todd is doing his best to correct the situation for next time. Nice work! ;) I'm so happy for you for getting back in the sky!!! :)

As people have already jumped in, I will elaborate a bit. Amber can further describe her size if she wishes. We were trying to keep a happy medium between a good rig fit (3 rings properly positioned) vs. leg straps being too tight and out of position.

The rig she jumped is a Vector 2 student rig, Navigator, and PD reserve with less than 100 jumps on the system. The next jump, we will shorten the MLW and deal with the leg straps.

We have Navigator 300, 240, 200, Sabre 2 190, 170 and a Spectre 150. This isn't a bad range for a 182 DZ. I still want more though.

Point blank, she did a great job and did the right thing under the circustances.

Todd

I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.

Hey chica! It was really great to meet you on Friday!! Congrats on being current!!

Yes! It was great meeting you too! I dont even remember you leaving because I was so pumped up and wired when I got down lol.:$Well, that and I had to make an emergency liquor run for Todd's "save" bottle.

I do believe your first cutaway was the first time I actually witnessed the entire 'cutaway' process...:S I'm glad everything went well for you.

Yeah I'm almost wishing I had video of the whole thing just to actually see what happened.(yes ok I'm a dork.so sue me.:P) I'm glad everything ended up as a positive experience. :)
I'll definitely be back out at the DZ really soon (probably next weekend.);)

Or she can get a sweet deal on a Wings;)

But since poor Amber is a poor college student, she might have to wait[:/]
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Sounds like you will need a custom rig, do you like Mirage?

Yes, I like Mirage. Matter of fact when this happened last time I decided to buy a custom Mirage to avoid this from happening again.I ended up buying a rig that I wasnt comfortable jumping b/c I felt it was too small for me even though my coach and the gear dealer told me it was fine.(put it this way, I've never been on a canopy small enough to fit in that container and w/my exit weight I dont care to be).I was stupid for listening to them when they assured me I'd be downsized to that size by the time it came in and disuaded me from getting anything bigger b/c "the resale interest for 'big rigs' just isnt there."Ofcourse then I quit and, since at the time I had no plans of jumping again, I sold it (brand new...never jumped or taken out of the box) so I could pay my tuition.:S[:/]

Maybe one day I'll have my own custom gear again. My goal right now is to keep myself in the air whether its on student gear,rented gear,new,used,custom...whatever! I just want to stay current.

Congrats Amber! I'm glad to see you're getting back into the sport B| Did you sell your gear? Hope not, I told ya you'd get back in the air ;) I haven't jumped for a month and a half or so, not since I messed up my leg at SDU :S. I'm gonna be so happy when I get some job security and can afford to jump some more

Maybe one day I'll have my own custom gear again. My goal right now is to keep myself in the air whether its on student gear,rented gear,new,used,custom...whatever! I just want to stay current.

Know what? YAY for you and handling the cutaway issue! And YAY for you for coming back after it.

But mostly, YAY for you for getting recurrent after two years and the other stuff that's gone on. I am thrilled for you, and proud of you!

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY Amber!!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Wow! What a PM to wake up to this morning. I think someone has some issues.

Forums: Messages: Pull your own train bitch

Pull your own train bitch

Date Sent:
Sep 4, 2004, 9:34 PM
Who would put a stucent out on 20 inch risers with 18 inch arms? Do you really want to go there?

Only my friends know what a real bitch I am;)

first congrats on your desision,im sure people will blame you for not trying it out lower,or even try to land the canopy.I think you did the right thing.You desided that you would not be abel to land this canopy safly,therefore you´ll need your reserve,Im my eyes you did what you have learned.You made a desission and took action ALL the way,thats the way to do it.i dont care that i and others perhaps would have done othervise,but it wasnt me or other jumping,it were you:PB| GOOD JOB

I dont understand why you got bruised up? couldnt you reach the toogles on the reserve aswell??

Anyway as you said,you walked away,you did the right thing at the right time.

Congrats:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Well, we should really back up and listen to this 200 jump wonder. He seems to know everything about working with AFF students. I hope he will make it out here as you invited and maybe he can educate me. He must also be very assuming or sneaking into our hangars to know so much about our gear. Of course, as mentioned before, the risers were not the problem the adjustable MLW was the issue. It is a fine line (for her on that big a rig loading at almost 1:1) between cutting off cirsulation in the legs to have the MLW where it would be best and what we eneded up with. He must know something else I don't, since RWS doesn't make 18" or 20" risers.

I dont understand why you got bruised up? couldnt you reach the toogles on the reserve aswell??

Nope the toggles on the reserve were perfect.I got bruised b/c the radio that was secured to the chest strap hit me in the chin/mouth.The rest of the bruising was the typical bruising around the legstrap area and upper shoulders.I expected that after being so out of shape and not used to all the mobility and muscle activity of skydiving after such a long layoff. But then again, almost every student rig I've ever jumped has bruised like that so its nothing new.Besides, guys dig bruises right?;)

Mary, I'm sorry this whole thing has caused someone to attack you like this.Some people just like to think they know whats best for everyone in every situation even when they're fucking clueless and have no true information on whats going on.You're a sweetie and were perfectly justified in saying everything you've said.I cant wait to see you at AOT.:)

Todd, I'm sorry if this has shown any negative light on the DZ.That was never my intention.I know the people and gear are safe at Aggieland.If I had any misgivings I wouldn't have scheduled another jump next weekend.We were there, we know all the details and this was a no fault situation,IMHO.

Anyone else who feels the need to play Monday quarterback with such limited information is obviously proof that a little knowledge in the hands of the ill-informed is a dangerous situation.This thread was meant to share an experience I had with other people who can relate and understand the growing pains every student goes through in this sport. If I had wanted criticism or advice or presumptions about this incident,the DZ or myself I would have put this in the S&T forum.Lets keep it on the original purpose of the thread shall we? If not then let it die all together.

No worries girl. If you haven't noticed, I'll listen to any constructive criticism and ignore the useless. I would put our student program up against anyone's. We put out great, skilled, and knowledgeable A-licensed jumpers. I would assume some of these observations are what aided you in your decisions.

Look forward to seeing you next weekend and we have you on the schedule.

Todd

Good job sweetheart! You certainly made the right decision. Todd.....no worries....I can see getting a student rig to fit Amber being a problem. Student rigs don't fit anyone worth a shit! But......now you know what must be done. Have fun Amber....glad to see you back in the air! ;)

Good to hear that your up in the air again.
(I cut away on my recurrency jump too!//3yrs ago)
do it when you can and stay current:)-Grant

I think this is a problem across the country, rigs that will fit some of the smaller jumpers are in short supply. I also think its common for many of the women who start in our sport to suffer thru this. At one DZ here in the Seattle area the SMALL rig is an Infinity with a Skybarge 230 in it. The rest of the student/rental rigs are 290's in the other medium and large sizes. Another local DZ has some smaller canopys ( 210-190-170)but I know a couple of the women who have jumped these rigs can't manage a good arch because the canopies are so big that the rigs.. even though they can be tightened up sufficiently for the harness to fit... the container is so long with the big canopies that it pushes into the backs of their thighs and against their helmets.
I know that women make up a small percentage of the skydiving community overall but there has to be a viable solution. A small rig with a smaller main.. ( still in the 1 to 1, like the Triathalon 150 range for a small person), would probably be a welcome addition for many female jumpers in the way of rentals/student gear.

Some of us have the added issue of being busty which a high chest strap just hurts like hell on opening... or smacks us in the mouth as the canopy deploys. I had Velocity make me a rig with my chest strap lower down below my bust. With the leg straps tightened my chest strap does not ride up or hurt on opening. With the smaller rigs.. some shorter risers might be a good thing as well, to make sure that those with shorter arms can reach the toggles. I know its an added expense to the DZ but in the long run the rig and canopy will be paid for by rentals and student training in gear that fits some of the smaller jumpers better. In the long run if the gear fits better to the students.. there will be more people who have good experiences and will come back for more jumps. We all win.. we have more people joining us in the skies.