RevJim

Some say F@#k WalMart. I say...

Then say complain, but not bitch. The word "bitching" has a such a negative connotation.

I know Dave,that it can be done. I've worked retail off and on for years. It's the one with that negative attitude that walk up and start bitching at me that I tell them "NO".

Edit to add: Really Dave, I'm not picking on you, I'm just being bitchy:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

One of my college profs called WalMart "the death of western civilization." I'm not ready to go that far, but it (and the other Big Box stores) has begun to restructure American consumerism, and having a major effect on our economic structure.

"Back in the day" when our parents were our age, they paid (relatively) big bucks for American made products (EVERYTHING) because there wasn't much overseas competition, and what was being made was crap. And that was how we looked at things, if it wasn't US made then it was shit. Over time though people started to realize that it wasn't so much pain to them if their foreign made products broke in half the time because they only cost half as much, and slowly we've switched to EVERYTHING bearing a "Made in Somewhere Else" sticker.

Problem is, if it's made there, it isn't made here, so American production goes into the crapper. Now, people are out of jobs or forced to take jobs they don't like at lower wages. So, I see two choices and in the end they pretty much even out so it may just be moot, but WHICH WOULD YOU PREFER:

1.) Paying less for everything because it's made overseas, but having less money to spend on stuff because you're working for less because the economy is shite;

OR

2.) Paying more for everyhting because it's made in the US and the US companies need to pay it's workers a decent living wage, but you have the money to spend on the stuff made in the US because you are one of the guys making that decent living wage and living in a booming economy.

Sorry if I dragged this thread down...

Elvisio "just bought A/C filters and wiper blades at Wallyworld" Rodriguez

My local walmart has a Police Sub-Station in it.

The community demanded that after someone came and bought a gun and shot the manager. What a wierd world we live in. Both the guy who shot someone and the community are stupid.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

because you are one of the guys making that decent living wage and living in a booming economy.

That depends. Just what do you consider a decent living wage? What did your father consider a decent living wage? What about his grandfather?

People yell, bitch, and moan that WalMart is (at its core) anti-union. Well, so am I. I recognize the previous needs for unions (sweat shops, 90 hour work weeks, ect.), but really, what are they used for (in the majority) today? Getting jobs? No, that's what internships are for. Benefits? No, many private employers and even states have better benefits. Driving wages to an artificial high? You betcha. If all the UAW members made a normal "national average" wage, how much do you think the price of a new american made vehicle would decline? Quite a bit, I would imagine. Will it happen? Nope. Joe Blow is quite content to make $30 an hour to turn 2 bolts every 30 minutes, while his cousin John Blow likes making $35 an hour to push a broom (it seems he got carpal tunnel from turning too many bolts per hour, resulting in a strike, a workload shift, a permanent production line slowdown, and a raise). Where else can you expect to get paid more for doing less?

I say if you don't like WalMart, unionize it. In a matter of a few short years it will resemble a great portion of america today; underworked, overpaid, and lazy.

Sorry if I dragged this thread down...

Elvisio "just bought A/C filters and wiper blades at Wallyworld" Rodriguez

Nothing to be sorry about at all, my HERO brother! This may end up in speakers corners soon though (without me), due to this little twist. ;):P

Corcho "Stirring the shit" Rodriguez
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Problem is, if it's made there, it isn't made here, so American production goes into the crapper. Now, people are out of jobs or forced to take jobs they don't like at lower wages.

You overlooked the third and most important option. Train for a different job that's in demand. What we are experiencing is nothing more than the birthing pains as the US transitions from an industrial society to a service society. Not a whole lot of consolation for those that are too old to retrain, but that the way it works.
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

What I love about walmart is that after they come to town (buld on tax exempt land for a term of usually 5 years), they end up putting a lot of smaller local business out of business since its hard to compete against the sheer purchasing power and price breaks they get. Then after they decide that the local environment is'nt profitable for them anymore they pack up and move to a few miles down the road to the next community that needs a few jobs so they allow them to move in and build a new building. They then leave an empty shell of a building and a huge parking lot that no one else can even think about filling.

With in 10 miles of my house I have 3 Walmarts, 2 of which are SuperWalmarts. I also have 2 Sam's clubs. I also happen to have 2 former Sams club buildings and a Walmart building that are sitting empty since no one can fill them. All big box chains are doing this. I have 4 Krogers stores in 5 miles, but only one of them is actually open. The others just sit there empty. 2 Best Buys with in 2.5 miles and only 1 is open. Same situation with ToyRUs and soon its looking like Circuit City is doing the same. Exit 110 is dead and exit 111 on the highway has a brand new shopping center :S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I tried this once before and it didn't stick. To try again:

To answer multiple posts:

Reverend Jim: You're right, maybe we could stand for a little "readjustment" in the cost of living area, maybe we're asking for too much as a working public. But also consider that Generation X is supposed to be the first generation that will not be as financially successful as their parents. This is the first time in the history of America that this has happened and it has people kinda rattled.

BlindBrick: great minds think alike! I'm an engineer by schooling but am taking an EMT course right now.

Phree: I have an empty former-Mart by my house and would love to turn it into something fun. Skate park comes to mind, but I'd really like to come up with something we could do that was skydiving related. I'm thinking about some sort of aircraft carrier catapault-like device that would accelerate you and your (deployed) canopy across the ground up to a good "swooping" speed, then cuts you loose so you could practice your swooping indoors and cheaper than riding the plane. Waddaya think?

Elvisio "PT Barnum ain't got nothin' on me" Rodriguez

Over 70% of all non food products sold by Walmart are made in China. It is true that things seem cheaper, but they are of much inferior quality.

Walmart lowers the quality of our life not only by taking manufacturing jobs away from the united states (low-cost-country sourcing directive actually makes their buyers seek everywhere but in the US), but also by selling inferior products for top dollar.

The products seem cheap, but Walmart makes a huge profit on them.

They underpay their staff, work them without moercy and are happy to buy products manufactured in Chinese concentration camps.

Soon all our Otters will be going to China, cause we will not be able to afford to jump thanks to all the savings Walmart has given us.
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Yeah I just got a job at Wallyworld, since I needed jump money and it is a convenient place to work since its right across the street from the university...
but guess what, they expected me to work EVERY saturday, which is when I go to the dropzone. So today after trying to negotiate only working 2 sats a month, they told me I couldn't and so I quit!!!
I need jump money, but not if it means working at a place where I won't be able to jump...
so my job search continues...:S
Sarah

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

So maybe it is late and my mind is dirty but I though that this thread was going to start more like this.....

Some say F@#k WalMart. I say...

F@#k in WalMart.

Wow. I need to sleep or get laid.

Actually, it only took 9 posts to get that far. :D:ph34r:
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Nope. Joe Blow is quite content to make $30 an hour to turn 2 bolts every 30 minutes, while his cousin John Blow likes making $35 an hour to push a broom (it seems he got carpal tunnel from turning too many bolts per hour, resulting in a strike, a workload shift, a permanent production line slowdown, and a raise). Where else can you expect to get paid more for doing less?

WTF planet does this happen on? 30- 35$ per hour (60-70K /yr) for assembly line & janitorial work???
right....:S
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Dude.. a machinst at Ford starts at about $40k, add in seniority and its easy to make 50k by the time you are 30. My father has about 15 years at Ford and 15 before that at General Dynamics. 55k is the starting pay he gets every year. Add in double time, holiday and other bonuses and for no college degree he makes upwards of 90k. A janitor with a gaurenteed 3.5% min annual raise for even 10 years that starts at $15 per hour will be making almost $22 straight time. Figure in OT and bonuses... 50k is'nt that unreasonable for someone with some seniority.

Ford is actually in a place where they need to lay off skilled labor but the union contract says they can't. Instead of having the guys all sitting around doing nothing they are having them sign in at the start of each day, see if there is work and if not they are cleared to go home for the day while drawing a reduced salery. Most of the guys I know from there are now running their own businesses at home and doing Ford as their side job :S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Over 70% of all non food products sold by Walmart are made in China. It is true that things seem cheaper, but they are of much inferior quality.

Sometiems but not always. If you buy name brand stuff, the quality is no different than you'd get anywhere else.

Walmart lowers the quality of our life not only by taking manufacturing jobs away from the united states (low-cost-country sourcing directive actually makes their buyers seek everywhere but in the US)

Forgive me if you have, but try studying some university level business and economics. America is now a service rather than industrial society. Though it's a politcal favorite, so far losing industrial jobs has not been a bad thing. For every single industrial job the US loses, it gains more than one service job to replace it.

As for not buying in America. That's patently false. Wal-Mart buys from whoever is the cheapest for them. There are plenty of domestic companies that meet that criteria and therefore sell to Wal-Mart.

but also by selling inferior products for top dollar.

You say that like some thign wrong; however, accumulating wealth is the fundemental purpose of capitalism. If you think the price is unfair, don't buy. If enough people agree with you, the price drops. That's another fundemental truth of the capatilistic theory of supply and demand.

The products seem cheap, but Walmart makes a huge profit on them.

Umm no. If you operate on a discount pricing model you don't see "huge" profits. Wal-Mart reaps a large return on their investment by being incredibly aggressive in their efforts to control costs.

They underpay their staff, work them without moercy

Actually that's only thier hourly staff. Salaried employees are some among the most well compensated in their occupational field.

Relations with their hourly employees has always been Wal-Mart's weak point, no way to deny that. This is a problem that has periodically been excaberrated by a combination of mangaerial incentives and unscrupulous low level managers.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Esxuse my uneducated self but:

The bulk of their employees are hourly.

What brand name stuff do they sell, if you please?

Accumulating wealth in China is perfect indeed, lets build the Chinese space program.

There is a low-cost-country directive at Walmart. They don't seek in the US too hard at all.

When it comes to profit - read their annual report

Last but not least - if you take some basic college business courses you will learn that economy is a game of balance. Balance manufacturing with service. Balance of payments. Trade balance.

We have exported our manufacturing to China, we are now exporting our service jobs to India, we are exporting our IT and Finance jobs in the same direction.

Our main export to China right now is scrap metal. We, a world superpower are exporting raw materials like some friggin central African country.

Try and buy an American made computer, TV set, DVD or any other high tech manufactured product.

In the name of short term gain we are loosing our competitive advantage...we are loosing the battle for the future.
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275