Zennie

Roll Call - Skydiving SCUBA Divers

I haven't got any statistics to back this up, but I feel that scuba is more dangerous.

Statistically SCUBA (is it all caps or not? I do it 'cuz it's an acronym) is more dangerous in terms of fatalities per 100,000 participants.
It's weird. People think I have some sort of death wish doing "dangerous" sports. No. I like to have fun. Now it just so happens that my fun activities have an element of risk involved, but what fun things don't?
As far as decision time goes. Yeah, you have more time to plan a course of action, but I've seen people panic scuba (let's try lower-case) diving and you can kill yourself every bit as fast if you panic (or lose depth awareness).
A friend was telling me had knew someobody who ran the hyperbaric chamber in Galveston and quit scuba diving because she saw a bnch of people who supposedly did everything right but still got seriously bent.
I have a lot of trouble with this. My guess is they screwed up (prolly lost depth/time awareness -- sound familiar?) and eiother didn't admit it or didn't even know it. Skydiving and scuba diving are relatvely safe if you use/keep your head.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Subject: Re: Roll Call - Skydiving SCUBA Divers
I agree with Zennie that people can flip out during either sport. When I was doing my checkout dives in a nasty, cold Pennsylvania quarry, one girl just totally flipped out. She came out of the water in a huge hysterical hurry and I never saw her again. From what her dive partner said, she just totally lost it underwater.
Some sports just require a more level head at altitude/depth. Those that can't deal can go play golf or something.:P
Justin

SkymonkeyONE... Are you hiring????? would i have to sign my life away to the government?
I don't have a scuba license, but have all intentions of getting one.. as soon as i pay off my new skydiving gear and have all the time in the world and want to do something other than jumping on a nice day....
sign me up!
btw, did anyone get a letter from the army about joining to be a golden knight? if only they could gaurantee that...

btw, did anyone get a letter from the army about joining to be a golden knight?

I didn't get the letter myself, I get a call from the recruiters every four months or so and tell them over and over that I'm medically unfit. Maybe that finally made its way into my file. Anyhoo, back to my point: Cyber brought this up about a month ago here.
Blues, squares,
PTiger
*insert witty sig here*

scuba kicks ass.... except for the lack of freefall part. =c) got my C-Card when I was 13, my dad's a divemaster through PADI. Went diving in Cozumel (Palancar Reef and Paraiso Reef were gorgeous!!!) and Jamaica then some quarries... then started jumping.
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

Went diving in Cozumel (Palancar Reef and Paraiso Reef were gorgeous!!!) and Jamaica then some quarries...

See that's my problem. I got spoiled on Grand Cayman. Diving quarries with some sunked speedboats and cars just doesn't seem as fun. :P
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Just got into skydiving and loving it. A couple more jumps to my A license but getting there. Just started SCUBA too. Your right, both are expensive but very enjoyble. I am in the same situation, my gf got me into SCUBA but I got her into skydiving, her parents aren't to happy about that. Good thing I live in Colorado, not much SCUBA here, so I get to spend all my time jumping. I get to save my vacation time for SCUBA. I have to say, even though I am just beginning, nothing beats the rush of jumping out of an airplane. But I agree, try as many things as you can. Otherwise what is the point of living.

Im a pretty new PADI open water diver. I've done a few dives off north carolina and a few off cancun. its a great sport, too bad i live in kansas and its kinda hard to find good scuba dives here... gee wonder why?

You got lakes in Kansas?
Fresh water lakes make for some very good diving, but use less weight;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Advanced open water, Israel / Sinai regularly.
Sinai divers and Nemo divers in Eilat. My friend Noam owns the second. If you're ever out there please use him, he need the custom and he is an excellent instructor and a damn fine guy.
dive the wreck off Eilat- awesome, it's still in great shape.
Anyone going to Antibes for the underwater photography competition in October?????
If so, pm me and we can hook up for beers:)
RED LIGHTS & OFF LANDINGS ARE JUST MY THANG
http://www.redlightrob.co.uk

Went diving in Cozumel (Palancar Reef and Paraiso Reef were gorgeous!!!) and Jamaica then some quarries...

See that's my problem. I got spoiled on Grand Cayman. Diving quarries with some sunked speedboats and cars just doesn't seem as fun. :P

i know where there is a B-17 in 55 feet of water. B| unfortunately visability is under 5 feet on a GOOD day :(

Scuba first (just a quick dive in Jamaica) then 9 years later started sky-jumpin'. Just did another dive in Nassau in July...freaking beautiful. Husband holds ratings, I don't...though I was told I had enough for PADI. I have to get the rest of the weekend class to hold the license...just don't have the $ or a working right hand to do it right this moment...B|:S
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

NAUI licensed scuba diver. Try to get out at least once a year. I learned in New Jersey and have been down to St. Thomas & the Bahamas. I have yet to dive in Michigan, the water is just so cold.

Certainly have more skydives than scuba dives.

They are both great sports. Skydiving is just more accessible.

i know where there is a B-17 in 55 feet of water. unfortunately visability is under 5 feet on a GOOD day

Where???? That would be a cool ass dive anyway.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Master Rated.

Was into cave diving for a while.

Me too. Most of my cave diving buddies are dead. Some were world class and held records, but still died.

Taught basic scuba and cave diving for a number of years and owned a dive shop. Used to fly groups to Eleuthera, Bahamas about once a month.

Several of us bought a 28 foot Luhrs and used it for diving when loran first became available for civilian use. Later we upgraded to a 42 foot Atlantic and started taking groups. I was fortunate to be diving at a time when electronics allowed us to find things that could not be found earlier. I have found a number of artifacts, one of which is a 275 pound bronze bell that is on display in the dive shop at North Myrtle Beach, SC.

Ed

Lurch checking in...
Got PADI certified in 2001 at Matabuncay Beach, Philippines, but failed to send in for the C-card figuring I'd never use the cert again anyway...
Wrong...
March of this year wound up back in the P.I. getting ANDI safeair certified with a relative who is big into technical diving, rebreathers, has his own homebuilt gas blending station which I first mistook for a small oil refinery....
Next thing I know I'm sucking down 32% Nitrox at 130 feet and doing drift dives off Sepok Wall, Anilao area. Night dives, saw a cuttlefish in 70 feet of water had to be twice the size of my head...ever look one of those things in the eye? One big enough to take you on? Makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck. The most alien thing I ever saw, totally creeped me out in the most wondrous way. Even scoped out what turned out to be the wreck of the Dari-laut, a sunken hotel/barge down there...I found out later the reefs I was diving are some of the most abundant marine ecosystems on the planet, anywhere. It was the most blurringly fast two weeks of my life to date and WOW just doesn't cut it. Giant clams, groupers, sea snakes, ten billion colors of fish, more coral than I could identify....
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

I can't afford a second expensive hobby! Especially one that keeps me grounded for a day after doing it.

Likewise. I did SCUBA first, but skydiving is so much more fun. Can only afford one or the other, so I guess I'm stuck with 2 mins of fun rather than 30-60 mins. Hmmm just doesn't seem fair.

i know where there is a B-17 in 55 feet of water. unfortunately visability is under 5 feet on a GOOD day

Where???? That would be a cool ass dive anyway.

Lake Martin in Alabama.. its a man made lake so there are a few 'towns' beneath it too.. apparently it crashed during a training mission shortly after the war. The guns were stripped long ago, but it's definitely a eerie feeling when it 'emerges' out of the muddy water

I dove some after high school got a PADI C. card but haven't been in the water in a couple years now. Every one I dove with went to college, got real jobs and moved away.

I like skydiving much better though. It takes less planning to go to the DZ and make some jumps then to find a buddy to go on a dive with.

I would still like to dive again sometime it is a cool sport.