jerdahl

Motorcyclist cited for going 205 mph

WABASHA (AP) - With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a Stillwater motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.

On Saturday afternoon, State Patrol pilot Al Loney was flying near Wabasha, in southeastern Minnesota on the Wisconsin border, watching two motorcyclists racing along U.S. Highway 61.

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Loney told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for Tuesday's editions. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."

Several law enforcement sources told the newspaper that, although no official records are kept, it was probably the fastest ticket ever written in the state.

After about three-quarters of a mile, the biker slowed to about 100 mph and let the other cycle catch up. By then Loney had radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two over soon afterward.

The State Patrol officer arrested the faster rider, 20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license - and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

A search of speeding tickets written by state troopers, who patrol most of the state's highways, between 1990 and February 2004 shows the next fastest ticket was for 150 mph in 1994 in Lake of the Woods County.

Tilley did not return calls from the newspaper to his home Monday. A working number for him could not immediately be found by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Only a handful of exotic sports cars can reach 200 mph, but many high-performance motorcycles can top 175 mph. With minor modifications, they can hit 200 mph. Tilley was riding a Honda 1000, Loney said.

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

Kathy Swanson of the state Office of Traffic Safety said unless Tilley was wearing the kind of protective gear professional motorcycle racers wear, he was courting death at 200 mph.

"I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you crashed at 200 miles per hour," Swanson said. "But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure."

No Kathy, no it wouldn't.

I'm thinking he was courting death no matter what he was wearing- I don't care how "protective" clothing can get - at 200mhp, you'd need a miracle to survive a crash.

That said, DUUUUDE!!! 205??? Impressive.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Squid.

20-year-old Stillwater resident Samuel Armstrong Tilley, for reckless driving, driving without a motorcycle license - and driving 140 miles per hour over the posted speed limit of 65 mph.

Yup, squid.

Go to a fucking track if you want to race and quite making stupid judgement calls like that that makes my insurance go up.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

what if they mug an old lady then do 205 mph which one would they drop in court. Thats why i left the uk. F!@#ing queer judges..lol nah left because jumping over here is much better and cheaper
http://www.skydivethefarm.com
don't sweat the small stuff, in fact don't sweat at all,, you get smelly!!

ORFUN #2

Damn, and I thought my 175 in a 65 and 125+ in a 45 on a military installation were bad... :P Youthful exuberance, I remember it well. At least I was a licensed/trained high-performance rider though. (Still wasn't smart in retrospect.)

Getting caught doing it is possibly even more retarded than doing it in the first place.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

. . .or halt skydiving ops. Out here in Otay, there's a lot of winding roads that they like to race on. A couple times they had to be life-flighted out. It's easier to fly them out here.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

yeah right i hear about motorcycles killing people all the time. those damn bikes killing those innocent cars that pull out in front of ya As a motorcycle rider. the chances of these riders doing 205 anywhere near a sizzler is probably none. It was probably on a highway some staright away. Is it a smart thing to do..Hell no is it cool going that speed on a bike. Don't know only ever hit 181 but F!@# yeah it was cool....lol
http://www.skydivethefarm.com
don't sweat the small stuff, in fact don't sweat at all,, you get smelly!!

ORFUN #2

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later. The watch read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be 205 mph.

That speed measurement would be illegal in California. Timing between two points is a speed trap, as it's too open to abuse by LEOs.

No matter how open the road, that's not a safe speed. You can't see far enough ahead to ensure no motorists are ahead, short of having someone in front scouting. You could survive a drop so long as you don't impact something - good leathers can slide for a good spell.

Idiot.....
As already aid...if ya have the balls...the bike and the 'skill' to do it....take it to a track day where at the end of the day if it all goes tits up....its only the rider thats gonna get hurt ( after he has signed the liability waiver of course..:)
Doing it on the road where the conditions ahead of you are variable.....just sucks.....its not smart, in fact to me it makes them 'less' of a rider and more of an ass.....

Have to say if I saw someone doing that and then passed them on the side of the road a mile up after they had crashed....I'm not sure I am gonna stop to help em out...

"Have to say if I saw someone doing that and then passed them on the side of the road a mile up after they had crashed....I'm not sure I am gonna stop to help em out... "

So if you see an obese person having a heart-attack are you not going to call the paramedics either since he chose to not to exercise or eat right his entire life???

Have some compassion dude, someday it may be your ass in the dirt that resulted from a momentary lapse in good judgement, everyone has one occasionally.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

That speed measurement would be illegal in California. Timing between two points is a speed trap, as it's too open to abuse by LEOs.

i got caught in ohio by a plane.. perfectly legal there..... maybe i shouldof fought it,, but hecki was only 16........

fatstest i ever had my ninja 250 to was 115mphon the autobahn in germany... why no fatser ya ask..... cuz it toped out at that.... if i would ever get another bike i probly would get the 500cc ninja and be very hapy for ever... anything more and i'm just gona get myself into trouble...... with broken bones and speeding tix....

Damn... 205?? Recently, we had two cyclists get pulled over for going 165 and 163 mph respectively on I-459 south of Birmingham, AL at 1 AM, and I wonder why they stopped... Lots of them don't and many get away with it, leaving the trooper in their wake, but of course some have crashed trying to get away. Freaking idiots...

I have been driving on the highway a few times (I usually average 85 to 90, but only because I know Alabama has a severe shortage of troopers and I know my commute route real well), and seen one or two of those superbikes pass me like I was sitting still!! They had to be going at least 50 to 60 mph faster! [:/]

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

"Have to say if I saw someone doing that and then passed them on the side of the road a mile up after they had crashed....I'm not sure I am gonna stop to help em out... "

So if you see an obese person having a heart-attack are you not going to call the paramedics either since he chose to not to exercise or eat right his entire life???

The cardiac case didn't wantonly put the public at risk for his actions. You can smoke all your life and still have a 2 in 3 chance of no major harm.

Go 205 on the streets, and the odds aren't nearly so good. You're going down, and may take several with you.

The track is the place to go. There are some backroad stretches where you might be able to light it up with some planning.

Anyone else a bit dubious that a "honda 1000" went 205?

"The cardiac case didn't wantonly put the public at risk for his actions."

Yeah, but their fat ass could tumble down some stairs and take me out... :P There are plenty of roads out there you can willfully exceed the speed limit on without endangering anyone but yourself... I hit 160+ in my BMW not too long ago on I10 in Arizona.

"Anyone else a bit dubious that a "honda 1000" went 205?"

That is well within reach of a modified Honda CBR1100XX, an RC51, or older CBR1000... reports about motorcycle incidents are equally as lacking in facts as are the reports about skydiving incidents.

Plus the dude timing the run could have been slackin' on the stopwatch or dyslexic or something... cheers. :)
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Could've been the RC51 - a 1000cc Honda sportbike - and incredibly fast...

I guess I'll be the one to take their side... At least they were on a small highway in the middle of nowhere (or so I'm speculating...)

I've seen a VERY large handful of sportbikes exceed 200mph with ease. (Hondas, not to mention R1's, Gixxers, and the almighty 'busa..)