AggieDave

Sad sad day. :(

This is the worst thing I've read all day.[:/]

September 28, 2004 -- JACK Daniel's has sparked outrage among serious drinkers by unceremoniously lowering the proof of its famous Tennessee Whiskey from 86 to 80. The change — which means the hooch has 3 percent less alcohol — has riled those still smarting from the "betrayal" of 15 years ago when the company lowered the strength of its 90-proof, 138-year-old original recipe, to 86 proof. Frank Kelly Rich, editor of Modern Drunkard magazine (and a contributor to The Post's Sunday books section), has taken up the cause along with "alert drunkard" Chris Sharp, who was apparently the first to notice the switch. Sharp has started an online petition and boycott with the magazine's backing "designed to right this grievous wrong." Distillery rep Roger Brashears told us, "We researched it and decided the majority of people wanted a less potent drink." Rich writes, "Jack Daniel's is, of course, a private corporation and they can do whatever the hell they want," but called the alcohol dilution "unfathomable blasphemy. They can lower the proof to zero and call it lemonade if they like. But that doesn't mean we have to drink it."

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/29289.htm
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Southern Comfort did a similar thing a few years ago..

my friend (who swears by it, even named her band in reference to it among other things...) noticed right away... we had to go out and buy multiple cases of the 'good stuff' to keep her happy for a while... she's since adjusted, but hides a few bottles of the original for special occasions...

I wonder what they're going to do with the green label JD, since it was already 80 proof...

It'll end up being like a sweet iced tea.[:/]

This will most likely severely effect my DZ since we drink the hell out of Jack Daniels, opting for that instead of the Shiner Bock on tap atleast a few times a month. Less alcohol will mean more drinks drunk which means the bottles won't last as long, but cost the same.

Damnit.

Ok, I feel like an idiot... I've been drinking Jack Daniels for 15 years, and all this time I thought it was 80 proof. When I read your post, I even had to go look at a bottle to see that it does say 86 on it...

Obviously I don't NEED that extra 3% alcohol. :S:)

Oh, and of course I had to look up Modern Drunkard Magazine:
http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/

>:(

Dave, look at the bright side, now you can drink even more of it!

*great* I can already put away an obscene amount of John Daniels...now I'll be able to drink even more.

*AggieDave looks at his Jack Daniels tumbler with the JD in it and frowns*

what is really stupid is "We researched it and decided the majority of people wanted a less potent drink."

ummm duh, so mix it more to your taste... I seriously doubt anyone who was already drinking it 'neat' wished it was less potent.

based on my experience as a bartender i'd say their marketing research has some issues...