Laurel

Target took my gift and crammed it up my...

Shop at Wal-Mart.

They don't even have to carry the damned item, they'll end up giving you store credit (true story of a friend of mine).

Wal-Mart goes out of their way to take care of their customers, unlike the higher priced assholes at Target.

Right on. And amazingly, they make a profit. :D:D:D
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

Customer has DVD player for over 90 days. (That's the return policy printed on most receipts) DVD player breaks down.

David, did you read this? If the DVD player breaks down within the 90 days, it's still under the store warranty.

Gee.......slow down. I don't want your lawyer coming after me for a little ole DVD player.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Gee.......slow down. I don't want your lawyer coming after me for a little ole DVD player.

Damnit Mary, I paid a good $30 for my DVD player (actually it was 29$) and I want my money back because after 2 years it broke!

:P:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

A Target card, a DVD player or a lawyer?

I'm confused.:P

Well since you don't like Target, it wouldn't be good to force you to shop at a store you don't like.

A DVD player? Nope, you spend way too much time in front of the computer to bother with a DVD player.

A lawyer all wrapped up in a pink ribbon sounds good to me:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Target is not responsible for a DVD player that broke. It's the manufacture's responsibility to replace the item. Target and all other retail stores are just the middle man for selling items. If there is a problem with say a DVD, why should Target lose money and replace it?

I agree and disagree..however, I think the store should deal with the manufacturer directly IMO. But..I do know that there are policies and they have them for whatever reasons they have them. They told my Mom to contact the manufacturer which we did and they replaced it. Problem solved...I guess there are so many dishonest people in the world who rip places off and try to scam the retail industry that it sucks for those of us who are honest.

why is it the Service Desk employee's problem?

I never said it was . We were very polite and asked to speak to the manager. We spoke to the manager and he explained the policy and he agreed that it sucked for the consumer as well but there was nothing he could do. I've worked retail before so I understand.

Now I know what to do when I'm obligated to buy gifts for people that I don't like...I'l get them something that I know they'll hate from Target and burn the receipt. [insert evil laugh]

By the way, Dixieskydiver, when is your birthday????:P
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

Still no comment on what I said -- that Target provides a gift receipt that can be given to the recipient so that they may do the return/exchange thing. Don't they do this by you? Why didn't the gift-giver include the gift receipt with the gift when giving it to you?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I dont know if many of you actually know how much crap people try to pull on stores.
I admit to working at a t@rget for almost 3 horrible years. I hated it. Anyway on to the stories (real that I have seen with my own eyes)

Middle aged lady returning a gallon of milk with 1/4 gallon left because it went bad. :S

Someone re-sealing video game plastic and trying to return an empty case with no videogame inside.

Someone trying to return a box with no Camcorder inside.

Someone buying all sorts of x-mas crap at 50% off. then 2 weeks later coming back when it is now 80% off and trying to get the difference.(you can't)

Same with halloween, July 4th, Easter etc....

There was a guy who (with a recipt) went through the store "shopping" picking up all the items on the recipt and then he returned everything on the recipt. He got caught... but I'm guessing he got away with it before.

I'd say your lucky they even return items at all, and not just send everything to the Manufacture.

Give em hell! :D

I wonder what the law is, because there are times when certain stores actually post "NO RETURNS -- NO EXCEPTIONS. ALL SALES FINAL." I've seen it. I am under the impression that if the business makes clear that their policy is "no returns," that they are entitled to have such a policy.

Stores have told me that I was not allowed to shop there barefoot -- even though I know there's no law that says so. So I know that stores can set their own policies about who they serve. If you wanted to run a business and not make much money, you could even say, "No patrons who don't have green hair will be served."

So if they wanted to scare away business by making it known that they won't do the courtesy of making returns, I think they're entitled, as long as it's publicized.

Anyone here know otherwise?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I had this in my email this morning and thought of your thread, Laurel.

"A lady goes into Wal-Mart and tells the clerk she wants a refund for
the toaster she bought because it doesn't work. The clerk tells her that
he can't give her a refund because she bought it on special. All of a
sudden, the woman throws her arms up in the air and starts screaming!

"GRAB MY BREASTS! GRAB MY BREASTS!"

The clerk, not knowing what to do, runs to get the store manager.
The manager comes up to the Woman and asks, "What's wrong?" She explains
the situation with the toaster. He tells her that he can't give her a
refund because she bought it on special. Once again, the woman throws her
arms up in the air and starts screaming,

"GRAB MY BREASTS! GRAB MY BREASTS!"

In shock, the store manager pleads, "Ma'am, why are you saying
that?"

In a huff, the woman says, "BECAUSE, I LIKE TO HAVE MY BREASTS
GRABBED WHEN I'M GETTING SCREWED!"

Not if it was a gift.

At Target, this is simple. I am forever throwing away gift receipts that they print out and give to you unless you specify that you do not want one. The fault lies in the gift giver not Target.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

If you want to return the item, you must have a receipt - you cannot even return the item for store credit to purchase other items.

That's weird. I never keep receipts, and I'm always returning stuff back to Target. Maybe it depends on the store. [:/] I buy so much crap from there. It would be pretty darn amazing if I was able to keep all of my receipts in good enough order to be able to find the one of something that I bought a few months prior.

What company was it that had their big ad campaign showing that you didn't have to have a receipt when you return something?
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

What company was it that had their big ad campaign showing that you didn't have to have a receipt when you return something?

Circuit City.... err... might have been Best Buy.

I returned something to target for store credit without a reciept. They give you the lowest price it's been in the last however many days though. They have 'gift reciepts' too - you just have to ask them to print one when you buy something. Every time I buy something there, I stick one of those on it before I wrap it up or hang onto it in case the person asks.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

If you have ever been in a situation where a gift is a duplicate of something you already have or just something you can't use, think that someone else you are buying a gift for may experience the same thing. So, do not buy them anything at Target!!!

that seems harsh. how about just make sure you get and give the gift receipt with the item. i dont think its target's problem that whoever gave you the gift either didnt ask for a receipt, or didnt give it to you. most places could use a little customer service improvement, but its the consumer's responsibility to insure that they are covered if something goes wrong. meaning keep your receipts. especially for things like someone else mentioned - a dvd player. i have a folder specifically for receipts, warranty information, etc. i keep them until i get rid of the item.

imo, and i dont mean this to come out rudely, if you cant ask the gift giver for verification of the purchase, its not target's problem. and its also not their problem that whoever gave you the gift didnt give you a receipt in the first place.

Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

Target (TGT) Financials: PERIOD ENDING 31-Jan-04 Total Revenue $48,163,000 Cost of Revenue $31,790,000 Gross Profit $16,373,000

Ummm - I don't see where Target is losing money. Plus, excellent customer service has been proven to increase sales, which it looks like they need since their stock has plummetted this year. Also, when merchandise credit is given, a lot of times a person will buy over what their credit was for equating additional sales.

Maybe they are doing well because of their policies. Who are you to judge how much profit they should make, does anyone tell you you're making too much money and should give some up? They have stockholders to be responsible to. Point is, it's their game, play by their rules or don't shop there.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Not sure what company it was that advertised that policy but when I was 16 I worked at The Broadway and they had that same policy. One day a woman came in and returned 4 brand new tires without a receipt. The Broadway accepted them and gave her a store credit for the listed price of those tires. They had to call around to some tire stores to find out what that was since they have never actually carried tires!! I thought it was hilarious and always wanted to go out and buy something like a huge vibrator and try to return it to them....

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)